Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I didn't jump on the Ryan Out bandwagon. He looked to me to be better than Stockdale and so far he's doing ok.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I do think that those pointing out his lack of height have a point. I reckon that another 2ft and an 8ft 1in keeper could have saved that Stoke goal yesterday ???

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
2 of those quotes came from me both saying similar that he was stopping the shots but palming them back into the danger area and it needed to be worked on. Full credit to him and Ben Roberts as they have obviously worked on it in training and he is not doing it now so full credit to all concerned they saw the problem and dealt with it in the correct manner.

Not on penalties, they haven't. You need to have another word :wink:

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Roberts is a fantastic goal keeping coach - give him the raw materials - and six months later you have a top top keeper

Stoke fan on train back to Derby was particularly aggrieved and stated that Ryan should be garbage as he is from $$^6ing Australia!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Roberts is a fantastic goal keeping coach - give him the raw materials - and six months later you have a top top keeper
I'm sure he is, but Roberts isn't working with raw materials.
He was (is) working with a full international keeper, x years a professional, playing across 4 different leagues.
A player who was adjusting to a new country, new team and most importantly new defenders.

To claim, as BG did, back in the Autumn that he was correct about Ryan and his improve is all down to Roberts listening to him (ok so I made that last bit up) would be unbelievable coming from anyone else.
Especially as during this transformation Ryan had circumnavigated the globe a couple of times on international duty.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Stoke fan on train back to Derby was particularly aggrieved and stated that Ryan should be garbage as he is from $$^6ing Australia!

Not only with Matt Ryan but also Pope at Burnley when both were at Charlton.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm sure he is, but Roberts isn't working with raw materials.
He was (is) working with a full international keeper, x years a professional, playing across 4 different leagues.
A player who was adjusting to a new country, new team and most importantly new defenders.

To claim, as BG did, back in the Autumn that he was correct about Ryan and his improve is all down to Roberts listening to him (ok so I made that last bit up) would be unbelievable coming from anyone else.
Especially as during this transformation Ryan had circumnavigated the globe a couple of times on international duty.

I am not suggesting that Roberts listened to me, why would he, but he obviously thought the same but that is too difficult for people like you to comprehend.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yet the thought that Ryan just needing to settle into the team, relax and gain confidence doesn't come into it, as that simple answer would make your initial knee-JERK reaction wrong, loud wrong.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the POTS if picked by team members would be Stephens his effeciency and worth to the team if picked by supporters could be anybody of about 3 or 4 as they tend to go more for show. and entertainment.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yet the thought that Ryan just needing to settle into the team, relax and gain confidence doesn't come into it, as that simple answer would make your initial knee-JERK reaction wrong, loud wrong.

“Lalalalalalalalalalala I’m not listening.....” etc [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
MOM performance yesterday and the players seem to love him. Still front runner for my player of the season alongside Gross.

No way MOM performance, one swallow doest not make a summer. As valuable to our season that penalty save potentially was their only other target on shot was a a goal which he couldnt do much about. testament to our defence for so few shots more so than Ryan for an MOM performance

Probably my player of the season too (definitely till a few games ago and I think still) but starting to think that might be changing
I cant wait for Chazzy to do an Izqueirdo montage, hope Izzy helps him out with some more footage

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Absolutely joke of a signing. I've said this from day one. Keepers need to be well over 6 foot. What were the recruitment team thinking ?

This will go down as one of the biggest f.u.c.k. ups in our history due to it being our record signing at the time. The sooner he is dropped the better.

Thank Christ we have no say in signings!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This thread has got to be worth a daily bounce.

We could always do a nice little rotation of identical threads concerning:-

Ryan.
Schelotto.
Jose
Propper.

We could then occasionally switch channels for deep dives into the 'NSC Classics' like:-

Spanish Dave.
Orlandi.
Stockdale

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Some sanctimonious stuff on this thread.

Sure, the guy was a hero against Stoke, it's great he's no longer showing the nerves that marred his first 3 appearances for us but this doesn't change the fact we are sh1t at defending corners and his lack of command of his 6-yard box is a factor in why we concede.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Some sanctimonious stuff on this thread.

Sure, the guy was a hero against Stoke, it's great he's no longer showing the nerves that marred his first 3 appearances for us but this doesn't change the fact we are sh1t at defending corners and his lack of command of his 6-yard box is a factor in why we concede.

I think you are being harsh. I hardly think Ryan is at fault for some of the goals conceded in the 6-yard box.

If he was failing to command his penalty area then we'd have problems, but he isn't.

When it comes to attempts from within the 6-yard box, then by the time it gets to that then you have to be asking questions of the defence.

All in all, I think Ryan has had a competent debut season in the Premier League, as I'm sure you'll agree?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here