Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami stays?

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I watched it through again this morning without the frustration and desperation of Friday night. In the cold light of day I think that the midfield did ok, the big problem was up front - step forward Mr Bent.

I watched it as well. Whilst it didn't look quite so bad on the television,I don't think we can blame Bent. The service he got was poor. The number of times we got round the back of their defence and laid the ball back to nobody was unbelievable. Our midfield are incapable of playing defence splitting passes or taking shots that end up on target. On the management front, why play one up front at home. Bent gets no support at all. You could play Messi up front for Brighton and the only goals he would get would be those conjured up by himself.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I was excited when Sami was appointed and think he has been unlucky in several games. The recruitment of loan players hasn't worked out and it appears a 'Sami Out'momentum has built that now feels unstoppable. He's going to need to win several matches very soon (no sh1t Sherlock!)
The fear of the non-renewal of many season tickets will be his downfall. Even a cool poker player will be twitching at the thought of 50% not renewing their season tickets. Pay on the day or print at home begins to look very attractive.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
People are going completely OTT, how do you expect us to start getting results when the fans are booing the manager and players constantly, pathetic IMO.
Are you with 'Somebody call a policeman' on this? Has form you know.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A boycott wouldnt be noticed as they would put it down to transport problems and people not wanting to drive rather than face facts. A mass exodus to the concourses for a couple of minutes would be more noticeable especially if nobody bought anything. Could be organised for the minutes played equivalent to our points total ie as it stands on the 18th minute.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I spent a very enjoyable Friday evening at the Chequer Mead Arts Centre in East Grinstead, watching a Christmas concert given by the Irish Guards (it's a yearly concert to raise money for the Sussex branch of SSAFA). At first I was annoyed when my mother told me it was on Friday night. By Friday I was quite delighted to be going there instead of the Amex. I then watched that dross when I got home. On Boxing Day my aunt is desperate to have us over to join the rest of her family. I was using the Reading game as an excuse not to have to go, as I don't like those particular gatherings. Now, quite frankly, I am tempted to say I'm willing to go.

As for next season, if Hyypia is still there, that's it for me. I can't get to weekday games anyway, and getting match-by-match tickets for Saturday games should be pretty simple. My only reason for keeping the season ticket going this season is to see my mates, who mostly live on the South Coast, while I am in north Sussex or London. Yes, some might say "we don't need fans like you". Tough. I carried on being a STH after the McGhee relegation and even after a season of boredom from Wilkins. At that time, the club had a reason to be struggling. With the fabulous facilities we have there is no excuse for the situation we face, and it won't improve because Bloom and other board meetings are too pig-headed to do anything about it. I don't expect success every season - I would have been very content with mid-table this season, but to carry on when the solution is staring you in the face is just plain daft. Well, they can carry on if they wish, but I'm not going to back them in that case.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I spent a very enjoyable Friday evening at the Chequer Mead Arts Centre in East Grinstead, watching a Christmas concert given by the Irish Guards (it's a yearly concert to raise money for the Sussex branch of SSAFA). At first I was annoyed when my mother told me it was on Friday night. By Friday I was quite delighted to be going there instead of the Amex. I then watched that dross when I got home. On Boxing Day my aunt is desperate to have the family over. I was using the Reading game as an excuse not to have to go, as I don't like big family gatherings. Now, quite frankly, I am tempted to say I'm willing to go.

As for next season, if Hyypia is still there, that's it for me. I can't get to weekday games anyway, and getting match-by-match tickets for Saturday games should be pretty simple. My only reason for keeping the season ticket going this season is to see my mates, who mostly live on the South Coast, while I am in north Sussex or London. Yes, some might say "we don't need fans like you". Tough. I carried on being a STH after the McGhee relegation and even after a season of boredom from Wilkins. At that time, the club had a reason to be struggling. With the fabulous facilities we have there is no excuse for the situation we face, and it won't improve because Bloom and other board meetings are too pig-headed to do anything about it. I don't expect success every season - I would have been very content with mid-table this season, but to carry on when the solution is staring you in the face is just plain daft. Well, they can carry on if they wish, but I'm not going to back them in that case.
I agree with all of that, spot on!

albionite

May 20, 2009
I was pleased when he was appointed, worried when after he stated he needed a decent number two and did not get one. So looks like i can hold my hands up and say i was a supporter of the new manager.
If it makes you feel better laugh away.

Can't say I ever liked him,(but supported him once given the job)wanted hantz out of the list once the Real Madrid guy turned us down. So hoping Naylor has got it wrong and he is gone by tomorrow.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I don't believe that Hyppia should stay. I think he should have gone about a month ago and the last 3 games he seems to of lost the confidence of the players.

At the same time I do not believe that the board should bow to fan pressure. I believe we need a strong board room who do the things that they believe are right for the club (that includes being able to admit when they have done something wrong, this isn't a weakness).

I'm hoping they are just waiting for Hyppia to resign (and it happens before the Wolves game), rather than burying their head in the sand.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
excuse me no ones been booing all season but he is dog shit and can't get a win from anywhere out out out

This.

Millwall was the first game where the crowd turned. Given the run we've had I think we've been very patient with Sami. How the guy hasn't got the courage to resign I don't know. He is clearly not manager material. A block of lard could do better.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I believe that Tony Bloom is just waiting for the right time. Be it a replacement or SH leaving of his own accord because the situation is becoming too embarrassing for him and his future.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think I stuck with Hyypia longer than most and until the Rotherham home game was backing him! Since then, things looked like they might turn around with decent performances at Bournemouth and Norwich and four points from the Wigan and Blackburn home games.

However, since then, the tactics have been bizarre. I'm starting to wonder if they pick a loan player out of the hat to miss out on the 18 and pick the team around that (obviously excluding Gardner as he and JFC have to start every game).

I don't regard myself as an expert but it is so obvious that our midfield doesn't work, that I don't understand how Hyypia can miss it. Ince came on at Derby and was our best player. Yet he's back on the bench on Friday and we go back to the midfield that was so overrun in the first 20 minutes of the previous game. What logic is that? We also drop our most consistent loan player and recall a player who was on loan in League 1 (and has been poor when used previously) so we can play Halford. Well why not drop Gardner from the squad when we've got better players sitting on the bench who can cover?

Finally, what are the board seeing that we're not. If they're planning on throwing money at the issue in January (which seems unlikely), then I still don't think that Hyypia will be able to use the new squad effectively enough. If nothing else, the fact the crowd is getting on his back at home games (which makes it less likely that we'll win) is a reason for bringing a new manager in who'll have the support of the crowd.

It's totally bizarre and is in danger of putting us back five years. The board need to wake up or we're going down!

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I feel as low as I have done following the albion. The reason it feels so crap this time is there is no need for us to be in this position, before we were skint, could barley scrap a team together and knew we were lucky to be in the championship. I do not expect us to be fighting for top six every season, but I don't expect with the players we have to be religated. I have not enjoyed this season one bit and traveling from Reading seems be comming a real chore, I am more pissed of with the club then I have been, because they can quite easly do something about it, but apear not to give a toss.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Whilst I am willing to admit that the state of the squad is something that Hyppia can't be blamed for, that doesn't mean he isn't to blame for our woeful league position. Have we got a top 6 squad? No. Have we got a bottom 3 squad? Also, no.

Against Derby we started with three men in midfield, who between them had the same physical presence as Casper the Friendly Ghost whilst Ince, Holla and Toko all sat on the bench. Within 20 minutes we were 3-0 down and had to bring on Ince for damage limitation. Fast forward to the next game and the exact same midfield three start! Low and behold we couldn't get close to 'wall in Midfield which gave them the easiest 3 points they'll receive all season.

I'm sure he means well but he doesn't have a clue, it's that simple. Dropping Bennett so we can play Halford was quite frankly staggering. I'm not a huge fan of Bennett but he'd done nothing to deserve being dropped. Walton is brilliant for two games and is dropped to never be seen again. Caskey and Gardener do sod all every week but are untouchable. Loaning out all our strikers, then having to field a bench without an out-and-out forward. The list of simple mistakes he keeps making is staggering.

I'm resigned to L1 now. I've started trying to find positives for it already. JPT means a potential day at Wembley. Some decent away days to be had, less plastic fans & more reasonable ticket prices (away from home at least.). We were 180 minutes away from the Premier League 18 months ago, now I'm trying to see the positives in trips to Oldham, Walsall and Bradford. What's happened to our club? :(

So very THIS!

Goodwill gone. Crass dereliction of duty. Fans still expected to put hands in pockets but don't moan.

Has Bloom been steadfastly following the "How To Get Relegated" book? Because it bloody well feels like it!

worst is that the fans are increasingly disenfranchised. Very sad,

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I feel as low as I have done following the albion. The reason it feels so crap this time is there is no need for us to be in this position, before we were skint, could barley scrap a team together and knew we were lucky to be in the championship. I do not expect us to be fighting for top six every season, but I don't expect with the players we have to be religated. I have not enjoyed this season one bit and traveling from Reading seems be comming a real chore, I am more pissed of with the club then I have been, because they can quite easly do something about it, but apear not to give a toss.

This. In spades.
Things haven't felt right for a single minute this season & as you say, it feels completely avoidable.
Really not sure what's the best thing to do as I worry that anything during the 90 minutes could demotivate the poor confused buggers on the pitch even more?
It's certainly not all about Sami, so although he has to go, focussing just on him feels too easy & lets others, who were screwing things up well before his arrival, off the hook.
I'll definitely be at the game but as to what'll help the situation...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here