Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sam Baldock moves to Reading {CONFIRMED}

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Swap Moore for Baldock and a pack of cheesy wotsits. Good deal.

I honestly think that the club have cooled their interst in Liam Moore now, otherwise knowing that Reading want Sam would have given us perfect leverage to try and negotiate a deal. Presumably Hughton feels that Balogun and Bernardo can fill the gap of additional centre back between them.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
In everybodies humble opinion l would imagine! The trouble is, for a player to leave, either permanantly or on loan, another club has to want him, and in Skalak's case that doesnt seem to be happening.

A concern to me is that he seems to be happy to sit on his lucrative contract raking in the cash, rather than be out there actually playing football. I'm surprised that knowing he has absolutely zero chance of making it in the Premier League here, he doesn't demand a transfer. His seeming lack of ambition may well be a cause of concern to would be suitors too.

can see him off to Europe in the near future...maybe on loan... (anyway no chance of 25 man squad place)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In everybodies humble opinion l would imagine! The trouble is, for a player to leave, either permanantly or on loan, another club has to want him, and in Skalak's case that doesnt seem to be happening.
Presumably it's somewhat up to the club to let other clubs know he's available, and I'd expect someone to be interested, he did well for us in the Championship.

A concern to me is that he seems to be happy to sit on his lucrative contract raking in the cash, rather than be out there actually playing football. I'm surprised that knowing he has absolutely zero chance of making it in the Premier League here, he doesn't demand a transfer. His seeming lack of ambition may well be a cause of concern to would be suitors too.
How do you know he hasn't said to management that he'd like to be playing, and if that's not with us, he'd like it to be with someone else?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I honestly think that the club have cooled their interst in Liam Moore now, otherwise knowing that Reading want Sam would have given us perfect leverage to try and negotiate a deal. Presumably Hughton feels that Balogun and Bernardo can fill the gap of additional centre back between them.

I think you will find that lines of communication between BHA and Reading are still open. Don't write off a Moore deal yet.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think you will find that lines of communication between BHA and Reading are still open. Don't write off a Moore deal yet.

Agreed, now just thrashing out the offset for Baldock going the other way.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Mixed opinions about SB on their forum. Some hoping for the return of the gamble on promotion days, others resigned to just plodding along.

IMG_2699.PNG

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Can see him going to Villa on loan, as Bruce gets on well with Hughton, and has already said he'll be using his contacts to borrow players.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
In everybodies humble opinion l would imagine! The trouble is, for a player to leave, either permanantly or on loan, another club has to want him, and in Skalak's case that doesnt seem to be happening.A concern to me is that he seems to be happy to sit on his lucrative contract raking in the cash, rather than be out there actually playing football. I'm surprised that knowing he has absolutely zero chance of making it in the Premier League here, he doesn't demand a transfer. His seeming lack of ambition may well be a cause of concern to would be suitors too.

So not true

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The crucial bit of your post is 'if he stays fit'... unfortunately, buying clubs know he probably won't...

He's got this rap and true - He's had injuries , which player doesn't , but he's no Jack Wilshere. He played 30+ games for us in the last 2 seasons in the Champ and played and was fit nearly all of last season.
And before he joined us , he played a lot of football missing hardly any games with MK Dons, Bristol City etc. You don't get to play 300+ league games by your late 20s if you're injured all the time.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
We seem to be building a squad with a view to bringing in players of that early to mid 20's age bracket.

Any players of an older age that aren't pushing hard for a first XI spot wouldn't seem to have much of a chance of significant playing time in this squad.

Someone like Kayal might struggle again to get decent minutes this season even if fully fit.

So for someone like Sam and his position it's an eve bigger uphill battle.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So not true

This really doesn't surprise me. Skalak could be faulted for being somewhat limited in his footballing ability (delicious crossing, can strike a ball, good tactical appreciation and application, but hardly strong, swift or with good dribbling ability), but he's so committed to the cause and it's odd that this is being called into question.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This really doesn't surprise me. Skalak could be faulted for being somewhat limited in his footballing ability (delicious crossing, can strike a ball, good tactical appreciation and application, but hardly strong, swift or with good dribbling ability), but he's so committed to the cause and it's odd that this is being called into question.

I am not Skalak's biggest fan either and he is nowhere near the level we are at now; however, we allowed Jamie Murphy to go on loan to Rangers at the end of the January transfer window, he was needed as back up in the squad last year.

We are strenghtening in this window again and it is always prudent to wait until we have what we need in place before considering letting anyone go, whether it be on loan or on a permanent transfer. The club are doing things properly and very few of us know what may or may not be happening behind the scenes in terms of any of the current players either with the club or potentially coming into the club.

Even though I am not his biggest fan, Skalak would be a great asset to many a club in or around the Championship or overseas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here