Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Explosion reported near Dortmund team bus at their hotel

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I like the immediate assumption that A) it's terrorism and B) it's an immigrant. Always happens.

I tend to go with "probably terrorism, could be homegrown, could be from elsewhere, best wait until the facts come in before running my mouth off though, sensible"

Best of luck to the injured player, here's to a speedy recovery.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sky reporting that an Islamist has been arrested. Not that it means anything, after all they arrested loads of people after Westminster and let them all go .

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
All credit to the Dortmund fans . They showed a real spirit of humanity . Too many people are quick to slam these days as "terrible " and say that folk are not what they used to be....football fans in particular get a lot of stick. Moments like this shows that the human spirit triumphs over evil.

Hats off to Dortmund..

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Sky reporting that an Islamist has been arrested. Not that it means anything, after all they arrested loads of people after Westminster and let them all go .

Interesting bit in the Wikipedia article for Islamism which pertains to the use of the word 'Islamist' by the Associated Press:

The Council on American–Islamic Relations complained in 2013 that the Associated Press's definition of "Islamist"—a "supporter of government in accord with the laws of Islam [and] who view the Quran as a political model"—had become a pejorative shorthand for "Muslims we don't like."

The AP Stylebook entry for Islamist now reads as follows:

"An advocate or supporter of a political movement that favors reordering government and society in accordance with laws prescribed by Islam. Do not use as a synonym for Islamic fighters, militants, extremists or radicals, who may or may not be Islamists. Where possible, be specific and use the name of militant affiliations: al-Qaida-linked, Hezbollah, Taliban, etc. Those who view the Quran as a political model encompass a wide range of Muslims, from mainstream politicians to militants known as jihadi."

Not having a dig, just looked it up after reading your post and thought it'd be interesting.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting bit in the Wikipedia article for Islamism which pertains to the use of the word 'Islamist' by the Associated Press:

The Council on American–Islamic Relations complained in 2013 that the Associated Press's definition of "Islamist"—a "supporter of government in accord with the laws of Islam [and] who view the Quran as a political model"—had become a pejorative shorthand for "Muslims we don't like."

The AP Stylebook entry for Islamist now reads as follows:

"An advocate or supporter of a political movement that favors reordering government and society in accordance with laws prescribed by Islam. Do not use as a synonym for Islamic fighters, militants, extremists or radicals, who may or may not be Islamists. Where possible, be specific and use the name of militant affiliations: al-Qaida-linked, Hezbollah, Taliban, etc. Those who view the Quran as a political model encompass a wide range of Muslims, from mainstream politicians to militants known as jihadi."

Not having a dig, just looked it up after reading your post and thought it'd be interesting.

i just lifted it from the site....personally I prefer f4ck!ng murdering callous b4st4rds, but not sure if the profannysaurus on here would allow it.

At the end of the day that is what they are.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
i just lifted it from the site....personally I prefer f4ck!ng murdering callous b4st4rds, but not sure if the profannysaurus on here would allow it.

At the end of the day that is what they are.

Just to be clear, you're just referring to the ones who blow people up, yes? Not everyone who follows Islam?

Because, in the case of the former, I absolutely agree.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just to be clear, you're just referring to the ones who blow people up, yes? Not everyone who follows Islam?

Because, in the case of the former, I absolutely agree.

you really need to ask that question? We have not met obviously

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Dortmund currently 2-0 down at home to Monaco. The French side have also missed a penalty.

This game should never have been played while one of Dortmund's footballers is still in hospital. They look as though they're suffering from PTS. Shame on UEFA for making them play so soon after last night's incident.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dortmund currently 2-0 down at home to Monaco. The French side have also missed a penalty.

This game should never have been played while one of Dortmund's footballers is still in hospital. They look as though they're suffering from PTS. Shame on UEFA for making them play so soon after last night's incident.

I find it hard to believe the club were forced to play the game. I imagine they were consulted.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I find it hard to believe the club were forced to play the game. I imagine they were consulted.

With possible sanctions that they may have to forfeit the tie if it wasn't played this week. UEFA want everything done their way. Not much compassion shown by them. Dortmund were heavy favourites to go through. I can see Monaco putting the tie out of reach in the second half.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With possible sanctions that they may have to forfeit the tie if it wasn't played this week. UEFA want everything done their way. Not much compassion shown by them. Dortmund were heavy favourites to go through. I can see Monaco putting the tie out of reach in the second half.

I find it hard to believe. Had they been forced to play the game but didn't want to they'd have slipped it into the public domain; the sheer weight of public support would have crushed any UEFA resistance .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here