Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale may stay....

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I agree with this. The major factor this year has been the continuity we've had from last year's team plus adding quality additions to the squad with the likes of Murray and Duffy. The need for that continuity is going to be even greater next year as well as adding even better quality additions.

According to some, if we go up our first team next season will be unrecognisable.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not unless they're stupid and can't comprehend that he should have been on a higher wage for at least for the last 18 months.

Pretty sure the other senior players would be delighted if he puts pen to paper.
It was a major issue in 1988 when certain players were paid a lot more than other key contributors. In fact, indirectly, it's why Garry Nelson ended up leaving the club, and how we ended up missing him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was a major issue in 1988 when certain players were paid a lot more than other key contributors. In fact, indirectly, it's why Garry Nelson ended up leaving the club, and how we ended up missing him.[/QUOTE

I think that those in charge now are a lot more au fait with the problems that could occur.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
NO I disagree Ernest

He is good enough for the PL

Don't assume that a lot of the players up there are world beaters. They are not. Players play a role in a team and Dale plays a superb role in this Brighton side. He is the type of player that CH likes. Someone who can get the ball down and distributed quickly. He plays the same role that CH had Johnny Howson playing for Norwich.

Howson is a superb player and I think just slightly better than Stephens but make no mistake about it. Dale is definitely good enough for the PL

Who to side with on the qualities of DS, Sean Dyche or Ernest? I'll go with Dyche.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I thought it was more about his other half prefering to live nearer home than him not wanting to be here. That said, how much is she bringing into the family home each week, and is Burnley the best Northern club to join anyway.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
According to some, if we go up our first team next season will be unrecognisable.

Well I'm not ITK (clearly :)) but I would be surprised if the team was unrecognisable at the start of next season. I would hope for several quality additions and one other, assuming Stephens doesn't stay, but has any team gone up and made wholesale changes to a successful starting 11 before? Surely most just add to what they have and look to build from there?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What you mean the times he was absent?

Economically speaking of course we want him. Even if you don't think he's been pulling up trees, he's a quality player whose signing on fee would be substantially less than bringing in a player of equal ability to replace him.

Factor in that we won't be playing 442 as much next season and will be in need of 4-5 good quality central midfielders. Best first signing we could make along with Stockdale.

Disclaimer: IF....

:thumbsup:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Well I'm not ITK (clearly :)) but I would be surprised if the team was unrecognisable at the start of next season. I would hope for several quality additions and one other, assuming Stephens doesn't stay, but has any team gone up and made wholesale changes to a successful starting 11 before? Surely most just add to what they have and look to build from there?

Totally agree with you, only telling you what has already been said on this forum, Argus and BBC Sussex phone-in.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I can't find them but the team stats with and without Stephens are conclusive. He's first name on the team sheet and I'd imagine CH being very very keen to keep him if we go up.

In the Championship, yes. The point being made here is perhaps we wouldn't miss him in the Premier IF he chose to go i.e. a replacement might be as good if not better. Or, even if he stayed, he may not be as good as the pinnacle we've placed him on. Basically he's untested.(and for the dumb out there, I'm not saying he's shite, I think we're better off, can do better etc. So feck off with your phoney outrage!)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Er...he's hardly going to say he's deffo buggering off at this stage of the season is he?

Pretty sure he wrote a tweet a few months not holding back on wanting to leave

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Dale Stephens says if we get to the Premier promised land and the deal is ok he could stay.
Seemed to me he kept avoiding the question and saying he'd focus on the job in hand.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
In the Championship, yes. The point being made here is perhaps we wouldn't miss him in the Premier IF he chose to go i.e. a replacement might be as good if not better. Or, even if he stayed, he may not be as good as the pinnacle we've placed him on. Basically he's untested.(and for the dumb out there, I'm not saying he's shite, I think we're better off, can do better etc. So feck off with your phoney outrage!)

Nearly all of them are untested then, in fact some of them you could argue have already been tested and failed....but out of the lot Stephens has one of the best chances of cutting it. Who do you think CH is going to want to replace him with if he does go? Kroos? He will be after someone like Howson who will cost a fair whack, demand wages higher than Stephens and want a hefty lump sum himself.

Losing Stephens IMO is breaking up the unit we have, the way we play and the formation we play. If you don't think our 442 hinges on Dale Stephens then you haven't been watching for 2 years. That wouldn't be the end of the world if CH will change things up, but he does love a 442. And that's also not to say that Stephens wouldn't be decent in a 3.

Disclaimer: IF....

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Pretty sure he wrote a tweet a few months not holding back on wanting to leave

Yeah he may well have done but what I'm saying is that with six games to go and auto promotion on the cards etc. he is not going to rock the boat and attract headlines right now by saying he is leaving regardless. His previous honesty has been laudable but he's not that daft.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Record with DS starting this season : W21 D4 L3 - champions with several games left form
Record without DS starting this season: W4 D4 L4 - bugger, we missed the POs form

Nuff said, sign him up, move on.,,,

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
He had a chance to go to the prem and the club stopped him.....In my opinion he's been a fantastic professional and unlike many players he's grafted no end and done the business despite all the shenanigans that's gone on.I have no issues with his professionalism and he thoroughly deserves a crack at the prem with us if offered.
He may or may not be good enough but most will get their chance regardless.....That's if we make it naturally:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here