Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Updated: Preston Park Tavern Sold and Closed?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No I'm pretty sure that's not quite right. I understand it's been sold to the other Brighton pub group: Indigo, which owns the hop poles, hanover, hobgoblin, eagle etc.
But I suspect you're right that the formula won't change much, as it's been sold as a going concern.

Indeed it has, and apparently it is going to be a beer pub, not a food pub. Which seems daft, given the area.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Indeed it has, and apparently it is going to be a beer pub, not a food pub. Which seems daft, given the area.

Really?? How strange. I live opposite and used to love going in the ppt for lunch. Always busy so not sure why they would break a very successful formula. Especially as there's more money in food.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No I'm pretty sure that's not quite right. I understand it's been sold to the other Brighton pub group: Indigo, which owns the hop poles, hanover, hobgoblin, eagle etc.
But I suspect you're right that the formula won't change much, as it's been sold as a going concern.

You say "the other" Brighton pub group, but there are several. Drink In Brighton are clearly the biggest and are doing a good job of homogenizing pubs. One thing they all have in common: they don't sell Harveys as the profit per pint isn't as great (even though people will avoid the pubs for not selling Harveys).

Both the Hanover and Southover do food, the Thai food in the Southover is very nice indeed.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Yep, Indigo bought it.
It's been sold for a decent fee which I won't divulge in case its private. The upstairs were converted into flats and at the end of the day Coggins did OK I think.
It certainly wasn't sold and shut down as he went skint.
I can confirm the idea is to turn it back into a wet led pub rather than food.

As [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] says, the pubco's really are a cancer on the pub industry. Success sees them hike up your rent but of course when trade drops away there's no drop in rent.
We've got a 4% brewery increase around the corner meaning another 15p per pint. Meanwhile supermarkets sell whatever they liek to goodness knows who. It can only lead to more drinking at home and less people in the pubs. Hard times.

I expect it will still do food but it's been a restaurant for 7 years.

Just pub grub I'm afraid then. The Pub With No Name has been done up pretty well and it's a nice boozer in it's current format as the Southover. So if Indigo have bought the Preston Park Tavern then it should be okay.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One thing they all have in common: they don't sell Harveys as the profit per pint isn't as great (even though people will avoid the pubs for not selling Harveys).[/QUOTE]

The reason for this is because Harveys believe that they co not need to offer any discounts or incentive to sell their beer. Judging by the reaction on here they are probably correct.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Harveys seem to be very slow to react to the market.
For decades they have been THE ale producer in Sussex, but recent years have seen the rise of so many great little breweries whilst the likes of Dark Star are also going from strength to strength.
Harveys really need to up their game IMHO. They're no longer anywhere near as dominant as they think they are.

One thing they all have in common: they don't sell Harveys as the profit per pint isn't as great (even though people will avoid the pubs for not selling Harveys).

The reason for this is because Harveys believe that they co not need to offer any discounts or incentive to sell their beer. Judging by the reaction on here they are probably correct.[/QUOTE]

Yep, Indigo bought it.
It's been sold for a decent fee which I won't divulge in case its private. The upstairs were converted into flats and at the end of the day Coggins did OK I think.
It certainly wasn't sold and shut down as he went skint.
I can confirm the idea is to turn it back into a wet led pub rather than food.

As [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] says, the pubco's really are a cancer on the pub industry. Success sees them hike up your rent but of course when trade drops away there's no drop in rent.
We've got a 4% brewery increase around the corner meaning another 15p per pint. Meanwhile supermarkets sell whatever they liek to goodness knows who. It can only lead to more drinking at home and less people in the pubs. Hard times.

Notters is correct and here is what is happening in parliament about it. The motion was defeated but the government are saying that they will still introduce legislation to protect licensees in pubs.

http://www.camra.org.uk/article.php?group_id=12472

Sign this petition to show your support:

http://www.pubscandal.org.uk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We've got a 4% brewery increase around the corner meaning another 15p per pint. Meanwhile supermarkets sell whatever they liek to goodness knows who. It can only lead to more drinking at home and less people in the pubs. Hard times.[/QUOTE]

Enterprise are just an extention of the original company that started it all Inntrepeneur who caused many bankruptcies and in some cases suicide. They had no compassion or give and take whatsoever. When my pub in Guildford went from a Watney Mann tenancy to an Intrepeneur lease in 1988 the rent went from £16k per annum to £34500. St Lukes hospital teaching unit with 600 students closed, which was the vast majority of my trade I asked Inntrepeneur to re evaluate the rent based on my loss of trade, through no fault of mine, but they just laughed. I eventually left the pub in 1995 since which it has had many leasees who have all gone broke and the pub was boarded up 3 years ago. I have just heard that it has been sold and permission granted for flats to be built as is happening with many pubs.

The problem is the pub co have been large subscribers to the government of the days funds and until that changes they will continue to charge rents that are not viable and this does not allow their leaseholders to make decent living.

Enterprise are just an extention of the original company that started it all Inntrepeneur who caused many bankruptcies and in some cases suicide. They had no compassion or give and take whatsoever. When my pub in Guildford went from a Watney Mann tenancy to an Intrepeneur lease in 1988 the rent went from £16k per annum to £34500. St Lukes hospital teaching unit with 600 students closed, which was the vast majority of my trade I asked Inntrepeneur to re evaluate the rent based on my loss of trade, through no fault of mine, but they just laughed. I eventually left the pub in 1995 since which it has had many leasees who have all gone broke and the pub was boarded up 3 years ago. I have just heard that it has been sold and permission granted for flats to be built as is happening with many pubs.

The problem is the pub co have been large subscribers to the government of the days funds and until that changes they will continue to charge rents that are not viable and this does not allow their leaseholders to make decent living.[/QUOTE]

And ironically it was CAMRA who supported the split up of the big six in the late 80's that sowed the seeds for the pubcos formation. The same pubcos that they are now quite critical of.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Glad to see its gone as it was pretentious and unwelcoming. It's just around the corner from me, if its turns out as well as the Good Companions it will be a great assets to the area. All the Indigio pubs do food but thankfully not as the main attraction. Looking forward to it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In the early 90s I was very heavily involved in NA IL (national association of Inntrepeneur Leasees) I saw many examples of bankruptcy and in a number of cases causing suicide but Inntrepenaur carried on regardless. The ironic thing is that their HO was in Thame the same address as their predecessors Grand Metropolitan and coincidentally Scottish Courage the beer suppliers and I believe that Enterprise with Ted Tuppin at the head operate out of the same address. Just a big fiddle to circumvent the monopolies comission rulings.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here