Hughton: "I have no doubts we'll be ready come that first game of the season."

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just a few points

1. Why do you think that a statistic showing how full a ground is, is remotely relevant to the potential of a football club? On that basis then a club who might have a ground of say 90,000 but only get say 45,000 should be in the Championship because the ground is half full. Of all the pointless statistics compiled, this one has to be the most misleading I have heard in a long time!
2. Brighton reached the play offs and lost to Palace. I recognise that and that was failure, losing to a club that had less than half the amount of paying punters in the same division than us.
3. We are massively under achieving and always have done (see someone else's post about 3rd div south days if you wont take it from me). I again ask you to list the clubs that you think might get between 23000 to 30000 to pay every week to watch a club struggle in the second tier of English football. I will list the one's that come into my head (and apologies if I miss a couple). Now look at those clubs and look at their time spent in the top flight and trophies and then compare it to BHA. The clubs I can think of are, Man U, Everton, Liverpool, Sunderland (maybe), Newcastle (probably), Arsenal, Leeds (maybe on occasion), Spurs, West Ham (probably), Villa (maybe), Norwich, Man City (maybe), Chelsea (maybe).
4. The problem with BHA remains as it has always been, the side is nowhere near as good as it should be if this club is to even think about fulfilling its potential. Year in year out, decade in decade out the side has gone from almost not bad, to dreadful, to almost non league to almost not bad and back to dreadful again.

ARGH!

The answer to point three is obviously us, Leeds and Forest. Jury would be out on Derby because they've done well last two seasons. Wolves got masses in League One. BUT ALL OF THESE TEAMS ARE IN THE SAME BOAT AS US. Literally not all five of us could go up. Added to that is that we got about 16,000 through the door for at least two home games last season as was confirmed by a Freedom of Information request. The actual tickets sold figure v turn ups was the subject of lengthy debate on NSC but the headline figure is high because of the clubs ambition in making season tickets available by monthly DD. Not because we're some kind of sleeping giant.

Comparing us in any way to Man U, Chelsea, Villa or Spurs is, meanwhile, nuts. I genuinely think yo're touched.

Feb 14, 2010
ARGH!

The answer to point three is obviously us, Leeds and Forest. Jury would be out on Derby because they've done well last two seasons. Wolves got masses in League One. BUT ALL OF THESE TEAMS ARE IN THE SAME BOAT AS US. Literally not all five of us could go up. Added to that is that we got about 16,000 through the door for at least two home games last season as was confirmed by a Freedom of Information request. The actual tickets sold figure v turn ups was the subject of lengthy debate on NSC but the headline figure is high because of the clubs ambition in making season tickets available by monthly DD. Not because we're some kind of sleeping giant.

Comparing us in any way to Man U, Chelsea, Villa or Spurs is, meanwhile, nuts. I genuinely think yo're touched.

I didnt and again you mis understand a post. Also your last comment goes back to insult and one that also abusive and offensive to many people who might know people who have difficulties. Leaving that aside, I said a losing team in the Championship. Did you see Villa's gates in a losing side in the Premier League last season? However, let us use the clubs you list, Derby, Forest, Leeds and Wolves. Now please compare their success, trophies and top flight time spent compared to ours. BHA are and always have been massively under achieving and that is why there is a natural pessimism in the support. I can trace family following this club back to pre war and little has changed on the playing side or the support side. A large support despite a frankly terrible team. There was as someone else said a theory that in the third div south days, that is how the board liked it (as the players cost less) but the point I make is that the club should have expectation to match the sides who have a similar support to us. We never do and I will believe it when I see it. I also will assume you now concede points 1,2 and 4 as you fail to address them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
However, let us use the clubs you list, Derby, Forest, Leeds and Wolves. Now please compare their success, trophies and top flight time spent compared to ours.

:facepalm:

I refer you back to my original reply. The trophy success for these clubs all came in a period where we nearly bankrupted BHA trying to join them. In the period 1993 - 2011 all except Leeds had a few very unsuccessful seasons in the top flight but that was about it. Can you remember what we were doing in that period?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
ARGH!

Most clubs do DD now....it's certainly not just us :)
Midweek games are low for various reasons and to be fair tickets sold is all that matters.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Pffft! I can't see Holla playing much this season, unless Kayal is moved forward to play behind Hemed.I also suspect Colunga will be gone by the end of the transfer window. We still desperately need 2 quick wingers.

It does show that they can pick a pass and create chances though. Something the rest of the squad failed to do last season as well. I would like to see Holla play more, Colunga has a role to play as a backup if he actually wants to be here. I just don't think they should be so easily discarded, as many on here seem to want (and perhaps CH wants as well, certainly in the case of Colunga anyway).

Feb 14, 2010
:facepalm:

I refer you back to my original reply. The trophy success for these clubs all came in a period where we nearly bankrupted BHA trying to join them. In the period 1993 - 2011 all except Leeds had a few very unsuccessful seasons in the top flight but that was about it. Can you remember what we were doing in that period?

Are you joking? The historical failure of BHA goes back before the 1970's and 1980's and I think you will find that the success of these clubs compared to ours constant failure on the field decade in, decade out but for a few exceptional years has been evident to all. The trophies of Leeds, Derby, and Wolves all came during a period when the Albion were (as we are now) still knocking around in the lower leagues. Your clubs, with a support that matches BHA, now you compare their success and standing in the game. Under achievement at BHA is not even up for debate, the only debate is whether that will ever change. I have my doubts and I will believe it when I see it. That is not negative that is natural scepticism from a family who have seen it decade in, decade out since before the war. I hope things will change, but I dont expect it. I do think however that this club should for once be looking to rival clubs with a similar sized support or we are just back to the old 3rd division south days all over again.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Are you joking? The historical failure of BHA goes back before the 1970's and 1980's and I think you will find that the success of these clubs compared to ours constant failure on the field decade in, decade out but for a few exceptional years has been evident to all. The trophies of Leeds, Derby, and Wolves all came during a period when the Albion were (as we are now) still knocking around in the lower leagues. Your clubs, with a support that matches BHA, now you compare their success and standing in the game. Under achievement at BHA is not even up for debate, the only debate is whether that will ever change. I have my doubts and I will believe it when I see it. That is not negative that is natural scepticism from a family who have seen it decade in, decade out since before the war. I hope things will change, but I dont expect it. I do think however that this club should for once be looking to rival clubs with a similar sized support or we are just back to the old 3rd division south days all over again.

So, to sum up, your point is this. Across the years from the Charity Shield onwards, across multiple owners including at least one criminal, there has been a deliberate conspiracy of under ambition and investment. This continued even when we were ground sharing at Gillingham, about to be wound up and living in a shitty athletics stadium with a 7 - 9000 capacity and it continues to this day, where the uber rich business man in charge wants nothing more than to see us in The Championship, or, even better, League One permanently because that's a sure fire way to get his money back and no mistake.

The proof of this is Nottingham Forest's major trophies, the last of which was picked up in 1978/9.

Feb 14, 2010
So, to sum up, your point is this. Across the years from the Charity Shield onwards, across multiple owners including at least one criminal, there has been a deliberate conspiracy of under ambition and investment.

Deliberate conspiracy? You go from offensive to daft to now the plain silly. I see you have conceded points 1,3 and 4. Now all you need to do is concede that for the size of the support, this club has not achieved anything close to what it should have, and it still is not doing so by simple observation that you have agreed with. Or you could agree to disagree.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Number 1 underachievers of all time

I'm not so pessimistic as most.

Is our current team better than this one?

Brighton
16 Ankergren
03 Greer (Vincelot 46) (Taricco 77)
05 Dunk
14 Calderon
22 Painter
08 Navarro
11 Noone
17 Harley (LuaLua 88)
26 Bridcutt
09 Barnes
12 Mackail-Smith
Substitutes
01 Brezovan, 20 Vincelot, 27 Taricco, 10 Sparrow, 18 Dicker, 25 LuaLua, 33 Barker
Manager: Poyet Att: 17000

Young versions of Dunk and Lualua.

The only possibility is the important position of covering central defender in Greer, who is not getting any younger.

I wasn't a season ticket holder back then as I didn't fancy our chances with that team.

I fancied our chances last season until we sold Buckley and replaced him by Baldock.

albionite

May 20, 2009
:bla::bla::bla:
I'm not so pessimistic as most.

Is our current team better than this one?

Brighton
16 Ankergren
03 Greer (Vincelot 46) (Taricco 77)
05 Dunk
14 Calderon
22 Painter
08 Navarro
11 Noone
17 Harley (LuaLua 88)
26 Bridcutt
09 Barnes
12 Mackail-Smith
Substitutes
01 Brezovan, 20 Vincelot, 27 Taricco, 10 Sparrow, 18 Dicker, 25 LuaLua, 33 Barker
Manager: Poyet Att: 17000

Young versions of Dunk and Lualua.

The only possibility is the important position of covering central defender in Greer, who is not getting any younger.

I wasn't a season ticket holder back then as I didn't fancy our chances with that team.

I fancied our chances last season until we sold Buckley and replaced him by Baldock.

Wow you somehow got another mention in about Buckley.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
He's now saying the signings will come ,

very very difficult - tick , working hard - tick

can read this positively any negatively
http://m.theargus.co.uk/sport/13504727.Hughton_tells_fans_signings_will_come/
Same s##t different year. You replace the word Hughton for Hyppia and that could almost read word for word as an Argus article a year ago. Wonder if we'll also get the gloating told you so thread from the lickers lambasting the bed wetters as a pile of unproven loans arrive just prior to the transfer window supported by Bloom saying what great business we've done?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here