Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How disrespectful!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I too am sick of the media talking about West Ham's debacle, rather than Brighton's victory...The Sky commentary was so partisan ( I missed Warren A on the telly) , Jamie Carragher's scouse accent was irritating. ..

Never mind, if we keep going as we are, they will come to respect us.

Realised yesterday that I was missing JC and WA on the wireless. Tedious listening to the TV commentators.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We are what we are, totally different to all others which is why pundits struggle to understand what we are about and long may it continue.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
One of my closest mates is a Chelsea fan, glory hunter, and whenever we get a win he contacts me to say how impressed he is

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Long may it continue, quite like a lot of these sides underestimating us. Wonder how many managers will get the sack because foreign owners think we didn't exist until this season.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Never mind.

861F42C3-C7F6-43B6-926F-48E253A7CCC4.jpg :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't mind at all.

We haven't been top flight for 34 years and in a hyped football world dominated by the PL, we were off the radar until we got promoted.

The comments in the main show anger directed at their own stuttering/failing clubs.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Realised yesterday that I was missing JC and WA on the wireless. Tedious listening to the TV commentators.

I sometimes turn the TV sound down, replacing that with Radio Sussex.

5Live, BBC Radio London and Radio Sussex were all great last night. Singing our praises, and throughout you could clearly hear all the songs from the travelling Albion choir.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I'm getting the feeling that being beaten by Brighton is seen, by other PL teams/fans, as unacceptable. Or even drawing with us.

How disrespectful! How brilliant for us to pin on the dressing room wall!

F... them!

I'm sure thats just how the management would like it to be, lets keep flying under the radar, perfectly happy with that. If we're seen as an easy touchby other PL teams then more fool them. TBH, not interested on what they see as unacceptable, just want to keep churning out the results, theyll wake up soon enough,

Diablo

Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Like we probably think it is acceptable to be beaten by the top teams....Mid range teams fans, of which West Ham would be expected to be one, will not find it acceptable to be beaten 3-0 by us who started the season as favourites to be relegated. We need a few more wins against mid range sides before we can command respect of teams in this League.

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The PL set out to create elitism in football and it has succeeded by the bucket load. Elitism and arrogance and lack of respect now go hand in hand, throughout the country. We received plaudits as a Championship side but that is off the radar for many and ' smaller ' promoted sides such as us and Huddersfield, are paid no respect at PL level. Newcastle have a bit more pedigree at this level and are afforded a bit more ( albeit grudging ) respect.
It didn't use to be like this. Fans didn't look down their noses at other teams. You respected everybody and took nothing for granted. Achievement was given its due accord. Leicester's title win is considered by many to be a fluke. All the big teams had an ' off ' season. 30-40 years ago it wouldn't have been regarded as such. Ipswich, Derby and Forest ( smallish provincial clubs ) all won the league between 1960 and 1980 and were afforded due respect.
To many, the PL is just about 6 clubs now. The other 14 don't really matter. They are just making up the numbers. They look at forthcoming fixtures and if they are playing a run of games against non-top six, they are considered easy games. Arsenal fans bemoaned the fact they only beat us 2-0. " We should be hammering teams like Brighton " etc " Seaside crap " etc.
The moment you lose respect in football, is the moment you lose a grip on reality and the PL has created this. Pubs and clubs and bars packed to the rafters, when the big six are playing. Minimal interest beyond this. Clubs outside the big six, with a relatively long stay at PL level can also be condescending. Everton fans described us as average, ordinary, limited and beatable.
We shouldn't be surprised. Its been going this way for years. Its just now we are experiencing it in close up. The arrogance and the ugliness of it. Its been brought about by design and its deep rooted and sadly,its here to stay.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
TBH any 'big' Premier League team getting hammered (no pun) 3-0 by a team freshly promoted to the league would be seen as a nightmare result.

Think over the year getting beaten by teams like Burnley, Blackpool, Swansea etc until they became established teams (exclude blackpool) was seen as basically a terrible result.

Although we love the club, we have to see that to others with no emotional attachment to it, all we are, are a team that has just been promoted to 'the promised land' for the first time, and a club that has had a very quick rise at that as not so long ago we were nearly extinct. So you can see why the 'experts' who only focus on the big clubs have no clue about us.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
And Matt Law of the Torygraph wondering why CH hadn't been mentioned in connection with the Leicester job. When, at the moment, it would be a downward move ...

I'd agree that he should be but he will never be in the running. Leicester were after Wagner last summer with his attacking football philosophy (don't watch the play off final lads), pound land Klopp demeanor and fashionable German connections.

Who wants a manager who worries about organisation, team spirit and defending? Much better to have Eddie Howe in to get the team to run about a bit and score loads once in a blue moon.

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
I don't know who ryeats is but he/she posted this as a comment on the Guardian, apologies if this has already been quoted, but hey, deserves a repeat!

This was not Sky’s finest moment.

The pre-match ‘story,’known in the business as ’the line’ (or ‘angle) was: Wesh Ham, great club, great history, purists, Football Academy, production line of great players, Moore, Hurst, Peters, Brooking, Lampard, Ferdinand etc etc......Why are they struggling? The new stadium? Yup, that must be it. Tonight they will show their class and crush Brighton. As for Brighton, the ‘iine’ was, ‘They were supposed to lose every game by a cricket - well, maybe a rugby - score. They were meant to be useless but plucky. That’s why we chose them for so many live games. Instead they’ve been dour, determined, well organised and just no fun. Boooooorig. But tonight it’s over. Class - West Ham’s - will tell.'

Except this was nonsense, as any West Ham fan would have told Neville (a first class full back but an over-rated pundit and, as we saw with Valencia and England, a useless coach) and his chums.

Under Sam ‘I am not a long ball thug’ Allardyce West Ham favoured players who looked like bouncers or paramilitaries. Bilic has continued that tradition. He’d have rejected Knockaert (too small, too tricky) Gross and Propper (tall but too skinny ) Izquierdo (multiple reasons) March (ditto) and, as fo Bruno, pleasee.........he looks like a Spanish intellectual who’s into yoga.

Bilic is a personable, intelligent chap but has switched off his brain when he has recruited players. He has spent tens of millions on has-beens and never-wases. Hart was a good shot stopper a few years ago but was always weak positionally. It’s been obvious for a couple of years that he is no longer PL quality, let alone worth place in the England squad. He only went to West Ham for the money, and cos no one else wanted him. Carroll (Bilic did not sign him but should have sold him ) is an injury waiting to happen. His legs cannot support his torso and he is so one dimensional that, on the rare occasions he is fit, the team has to punt the ball towards him, and hope. Other players, like Ayew and an Austrian striker who is in a permanent sulk, are a waste of space. This is a team without spirit or pride.

That should have been ‘the line’ for Sky.

Sky should have compared this rabble to Brighton. Hughton has drilled his players brilliantly. He has instilled spirit and camaraderie. He has recruited players who, he hope (and you never know), have the right skill set and, as important, the right attitude.

Last night the team were magnificent. Some are emerging as high quality PL players. Dunk and Duffy are one of the strongest centre back partnerships in the league. Bruno is 37 but plays like he is in his prime. Propper, Gross, March and Knockaert are class acts. Izquierdo has the potential to be a real nuisance for defences. Murray is a traditional centre forward, aggressive, cunning and really keen on making defenders unhappy.

There’s still a long way to go. Brighton will meet teams who are equally spirited and organised. They will play ten matches against the elite six. But last night showed this team are not the doomed mugs that Sky hoped they would be.

As for West Ham.......sometimes a manager just reaches the of the road and a change must be made.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
None of it bothers me in the slightest.

Why are some people becoming so needy?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills