Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[tweet]921308246127857664[/tweet]

Donald Tusk @eucopresident
Brexit conclusions adopted. Leaders green-light internal EU27 preparations for 2nd phase. #EUCO

Smart move by the EU. I think they call this the "look what you could win" move and really ramps up the pressure on May :lolol:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Smart move by the EU. I think they call this the "look what you could win" move and really ramps up the pressure on May :lolol:

It is what Mrs May asked for. No idea why that is 'ramping up the pressure' - although it has to be said there is plenty of that on both sides already.

CheeseRolls

Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Replying to no one in particular.

Glad that the dialogue is moving closer to their will be a deal. No deal and the conditions some are trying to place on a no deal, are utterly unpalatable to me.

Conversely any deal is unlikely to deliver any of the key things that the most vociferous leavers want. Europe does not want and will not accept TTIP by the back door and therein lies the argument.

Also I don't want to live in a world where the only means of arbitration between business and the consumer is via the courts. I like regulation, I like controls and I believe they are largely worth paying for;

I don't want to accept that a class action can result in the worthy receiving nothing or ridiculous damages are paid out on something trivial and the damages and uncontrolled legal costs are pushed onto the hapless consumer. I can't change my water supply, when the incompetent Fwits have discharged raw sewage into the sea again. I can't catch a different train service to London and I can't refuse to pay the portion of my motor insurance that covers the ridiculous arms race, whereby each insurer tries to push the maximum costs possible onto the culpable insurers, in order to improve their own competitive position. I want regulators with more teeth. I want more Inland Revenue staff with the powers and the skills to take on the tax shy wealthy. I don't want to live in the Wild West and I don't want to see the poor and the vulnerable marginalised. Granted they are right now in so many ways, but there is NOTHING in a deregulated Brexit, that is going to look after any of the disenfranchised.

Brexit won - roll on Brexit, the hollow victory and complete waste of time, it was always destined to be.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

Looks to me that the EU are trying to stop people thinking they're responsible for the blockage when they announce in December that there is still insufficient progress.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Remainer gets it completely wrong again. If they can really believe this I guess they'll believe anything - probably why they voted to remain, I suppose. Anyway, let me add one absolute fact to this debate: I will not be thanking that Miller woman at any time in the future. Got it?

Put it this way, if Gina Miller had not forced Theresa May to take the legally correct way to invoking A50, and May acted without the required authority, it could be argued today in court that A50 notice was not legally given and therefore the EU must not continue with negotiations and cannot accept the notice, as the EU requires that it must be issued by any country "in accordance with its own constitutional requirements".
You can thank her now for cutting off that escape route for us remainers intent on sabotaging the will of the people, in a legal and democratic manner.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Humiliating isn’t it? And I really wish she’d dispense with this “no deal” nonsense because Britain can’t just walk away and not have anything in place to cover for the various EU administrative bodies it currently uses. Otherwise the UK will be like the Wild West. In my industry I’m not convinced the talent pool currently exists in the UK.

And of course there are many of the enlightened on here who think that is the right thing to do. And to pass over to the toffs like Jacob Rees-Mogg so they can take us back to the 19th.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is what Mrs May asked for. No idea why that is 'ramping up the pressure' - although it has to be said there is plenty of that on both sides already.

That’s my point, it is what May asked for. So this now puts her in a position where she has got what she wants....but it’s tantalisingly, and crucially, currently out of reach. It’s a stance you can only take from a position of strength though. I actually feel sorry for May now. She’s really boxed herself into a corner.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And of course there are many of the enlightened on here who think that is the right thing to do. And to pass over to the toffs like Jacob Rees-Mogg so they can take us back to the 19th.

I don’t think you’ll need Jacob to re-create the 19th century. The Uk will pass through this era on its way to the Stone Age

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
That’s my point, it is what May asked for. So this now puts her in a position where she has got what she wants....but it’s tantalisingly, and crucially, currently out of reach. It’s a stance you can only take from a position of strength though. I actually feel sorry for May now. She’s really boxed herself into a corner.

Mutti Merkel doesn't seem to agree. She seems pretty keen on getting it all agreed in everyone's best interest.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

It is not quite what May asked for, she wanted them to talk to us about it, they are talking to each other about the deal they want.
The pressure will come when the deal they offer is all we want in terms of trade, but includes free movement of labour

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It is not quite what May asked for, she wanted them to talk to us about it, they are talking to each other about the deal they want.
The pressure will come when the deal they offer is all we want in terms of trade, but includes free movement of labour

We will walk away from that sort of offer... and they know it. So the pressure is on them to come up with something better.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You don't even know which body I'm talking about so how can you make this generic sweeping statement? You are therefore talking from sheer ignorance. I really do have better things to do on a Friday than debate with the likes of you. When the U.K. subcontracts this work out to the EU I'll bounce this thread and remind you how ignorant you were.

of course i dont know the body you refer to as you didnt say, and i made a generic point, that i dont believe there is a field in which there is no nationally based regulation. i stand to be corrected and would be interested in where there are regulations and governance are run by supranational, EU based institutions.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We will walk away from that sort of offer... and they know it. So the pressure is on them to come up with something better.

So, Theresa has a deal on the table that ensures we do not suffer huge loss of trade, but decides to walk? No chance, second referendum time.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Well the 'Bitter and Twisted brigade' appear to be frothing at the mouth quite nicely,so things must be progressing nicely!I see Wizz Air are opening an office in the UK in case the EU go totally fruit-loop :whistle:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I think if more leave voters had thought about what the result in March 2019 might be before voting, we would not be in this mess. Merkel believes our guys are trying to bluff when they talk about no deal, I am not so sure they really are not that stupid.

dont forget her guys, only yesterday German MEP was saying how "no deal" is fine by him.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Mutti Merkel doesn't seem to agree. She seems pretty keen on getting it all agreed in everyone's best interest.

seems to me that Merkel, elections behind her, is telling everyone to get on with things. surprised our deutsch-phile doesn't recognise simple pragmatism coming to the fore.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I don’t think you’ll need Jacob to re-create the 19th century. The Uk will pass through this era on its way to the Stone Age

Brexit has been a dream for Jacob, its created his ultimate opportunity for self-publicity. Before that he has a nobody, now he's a nobody with a voice

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
This is terrifying.

Well,anything to do with the entertainment industry is scary.That's the tax lawyer that has cost players and ex-players millions of pounds with his dodgy tax-avoidance scheme in the film industry.

alledgedly

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here