Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
“What I find it hard to understand, when we need a result by March 2019, is why people are already talking in October 2017 about what might happen at the end of the process,” Merkel said.

an awful lot of sense in that one little quote.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
“I believe, in contrast to the way things are portrayed in the British press, that things are progressing step by step,” Merkel said.

“We’re in a process, and if it goes on for two or three weeks longer, or even longer, that doesn’t stop us from working hard to reach the second phase,” she added.

and perhaps some people would take heed of these comments from Merkel too :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seems May has started to beg to get a deal to make her look good.

Strong and stable.

Humiliating isn’t it? And I really wish she’d dispense with this “no deal” nonsense because Britain can’t just walk away and not have anything in place to cover for the various EU administrative bodies it currently uses. Otherwise the UK will be like the Wild West. In my industry I’m not convinced the talent pool currently exists in the UK.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Humiliating isn’t it? And I really wish she’d dispense with this “no deal” nonsense because Britain can’t just walk away and not have anything in place to cover for the various EU administrative bodies it currently uses. Otherwise the UK will be like the Wild West. In my industry I’m not convinced the talent pool currently exists.

Just find it incredible and actually completely irresponsible that some on the Tories right think "no deal" is an acceptable situation.

If this happens I can see a roadblock in parliament. No deal basically equals no Brexit, so the Brexiteers need to start getting real

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just find it incredible and actually completely irresponsible that some on the Tories right think "no deal" is an acceptable situation.

If this happens I can see a roadblock in parliament. No deal basically equals no Brexit, so the Brexiteers need to start getting real

The sector I work in has its regulatory agency based in London. There is a vote in a months time regarding where it will relocate to. When this is announced, and with all the highly skilled and experienced staff that will leave, with no UK equivalent even being briefly mentioned, it should signal a huge huge wake up call. It might be easy to roll over EU law into British law (I guess they just scribble out EU and write British) but it’s something completely different to have the suitable staff to understand, administer and uphold law steeped in various scientific areas. It will be like the Wild West.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
The sector I work in has its regulatory agency based in London. There is a vote in a months time regarding where it will relocate to. When this is announced, and with all the highly skilled and experienced staff that will leave, with no UK equivalent even being briefly mentioned, it should signal a huge huge wake up call. It might be easy to roll over EU law into British law (I guess they just scribble out EU and write British) but it’s something completely different to have the suitable staff to understand, administer and uphold law steeped in various scientific areas. It will be like the Wild West.

Where I work, the result of Brexit will be fewer UK employees, less UK tax paid, more European employees, more tax paid in Europe. This is all necessary in order for us to be able to ensure that we can carry on trading in Europe. I'm not sure this is a positive for the UK, but then maybe we'll be the odd ones out and others will be doing the opposite...

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Would that be the decision of the High Court that was overturned by the Appeal Court? You'll have a hard job arguing that a successful appeal was a mistake to go for.

Anyway, 17M plus to one...........I'd take that any day!

I think you live in a different universe, she lost the appeal, hence Parliament voted on it.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Humiliating isn’t it? And I really wish she’d dispense with this “no deal” nonsense because Britain can’t just walk away and not have anything in place to cover for the various EU administrative bodies it currently uses. Otherwise the UK will be like the Wild West. In my industry I’m not convinced the talent pool currently exists in the UK.

i dont believe this at all the case. in about any field there are bodies for regulation that come under national and EU legislation where appropriate. one of the arguments against the EU is this additional layer of bureaucracy, they do not replace but overlay existing institutions. fair point that domestic expertise may be thin on the ground in areas where the EU body has sidelined the role national one due to size, though the EU citizens are being offered to stay last time i checked. i'd be surprised there is a any area where there is no existing national body to take up the reigns.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You will thank Gina Miller one day.
Remainer gets it completely wrong again. If they can really believe this I guess they'll believe anything - probably why they voted to remain, I suppose. Anyway, let me add one absolute fact to this debate: I will not be thanking that Miller woman at any time in the future. Got it?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

When are some going realise this isn't project fear? If we go off a cliff our once great nation will really discover what austerity is

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I think it is strange that some of those that insisted we would get a deal, and a cracking deal at that, because they need us more than we need them, are now saying that no deal was always a highly likely outcome. I am sure the EU think this is kidology and our politicians cannot possibly be so stupid, as to believe no deal is a viable way for us to go, my concern is that they might just be that stupid.
The small silver lining will be that if it happens, these snake oil salesmen will be fully exposed, and hopefully have their political careers finished.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i dont believe this at all the case. in about any field there are bodies for regulation that come under national and EU legislation where appropriate. one of the arguments against the EU is this additional layer of bureaucracy, they do not replace but overlay existing institutions. fair point that domestic expertise may be thin on the ground in areas where the EU body has sidelined the role national one due to size, though the EU citizens are being offered to stay last time i checked. i'd be surprised there is a any area where there is no existing national body to take up the reigns.

You don't even know which body I'm talking about so how can you make this generic sweeping statement? You are therefore talking from sheer ignorance. I really do have better things to do on a Friday than debate with the likes of you. When the U.K. subcontracts this work out to the EU I'll bounce this thread and remind you how ignorant you were.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
[tweet]921308246127857664[/tweet]

Donald Tusk @eucopresident
Brexit conclusions adopted. Leaders green-light internal EU27 preparations for 2nd phase. #EUCO

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
an awful lot of sense in that one little quote.

I think if more leave voters had thought about what the result in March 2019 might be before voting, we would not be in this mess. Merkel believes our guys are trying to bluff when they talk about no deal, I am not so sure they really are not that stupid.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where I work, the result of Brexit will be fewer UK employees, less UK tax paid, more European employees, more tax paid in Europe. This is all necessary in order for us to be able to ensure that we can carry on trading in Europe. I'm not sure this is a positive for the UK, but then maybe we'll be the odd ones out and others will be doing the opposite...

My sector is heavily regulated and whilst there is a national body certain applications and licenses are mandated to the EU body.....even if the application or license is soley for the U.K. There's a number of reasons for this but the primary ones are knowledge/experience and efficiency. It's ludicrous to even suggest the U.K. can pick up this work, plus all the work the EU does on behalf of the U.K. on EU wide apps and licenses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here