Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You obviously haven't read Junker's latest statement.'Cameron has already had his one-time offer-this is the absolute maximum,no more is possible'.
Sounds pretty emphatic to me!

Do you realise how many countries vote on such matters? Did you follow any of Cameron's negotiatons? Stupid, disingenuous, or deliberately obtuse?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Seriously? Is that it? Plain wrong

Makes no difference....80 million people will be in this country within 15 years,hope there is no NIMBY's among the remainers.........perhaps we can finally build over the downs up from the Amex to woodingdean,build a proper bypass and massive car park as well..

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Last ditch desperate nonsense from the Brexiteers...they're all at it tonight.

2016-06-22-20-55-34--910457241.jpg

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Makes no difference....80 million people will be in this country within 15 years,hope there is no NIMBY's among the remainers.........perhaps we can finally build over the downs up from the Amex to woodingdean,build a proper bypass and massive car park as well..

This really is desperate. [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] was right, it really is getting desperate for the Brexiters. Personally i have believe in the future, things will be good working with our friends in Europe. The UK does have a great place in the world now and will go from strength to strength with remain

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

In 2012 only 7% of the United Kingdom was urban, I don't think we need to concrete over the Downs any time soon

What proportion of Britain do you reckon is built on? By that I mean covered by buildings, roads, car parks, railways, paths and so on - what people might call "concreted over". Go on - have a guess.
I was prompted to find out the answer to this question after reading this week how woodland is now calculated to cover 12.7% of the UK, the highest proportion since 1924 when records began.
I tweeted the figures after the ONS published them in their UK Environmental Accounts and found I was not the only one surprised. "Do we have a completely mistaken view of what our landscape is like?" I wondered.
The 80% of us who live in towns and cities spend an inordinate amount of time staring at tarmac and brick. On most urban roads, one can be tricked into thinking that the ribbon of grey we see reflects the land use for miles around.
But when you look out of a plane window as you buckle-up ahead of landing at a UK airport, the revelation is how green the country appears.
So what is the answer to my question - have you got a figure in your head?
Until recently, conflicting definitions have made the calculation tricky but fortunately, a huge piece of mapping work was completed last summer - the UK National Ecosystem Assessment (NEA).
Five hundred experts analysed vast quantities of data and produced what they claim is the first coherent body of evidence about the state of Britain's natural environment.
Having looked at all the information, they calculated that "6.8% of the UK's land area is now classified as urban" (a definition that includes rural development and roads, by the way).
The urban landscape accounts for 10.6% of England, 1.9% of Scotland, 3.6% of Northern Ireland and 4.1% of Wales.
Put another way, that means almost 93% of the UK is not urban. But even that isn't the end of the story because urban is not the same as built on.
In urban England, for example, the researchers found that just over half the land (54%) in our towns and cities is greenspace - parks, allotments, sports pitches and so on.
Furthermore, domestic gardens account for another 18% of urban land use; rivers, canals, lakes and reservoirs an additional 6.6%.
Their conclusion?
In England, "78.6% of urban areas is designated as natural rather than built". Since urban only covers a tenth of the country, this means that the proportion of England's landscape which is built on is…
Paved garden of a terraced house
Image caption
Scotland and the North-East embrace paving
… 2.27%.
Yes. According to the most detailed analysis ever conducted, almost 98% of England is, in their word, natural.
Elsewhere in the UK, the figure rises to more than 99%. It is clear that only a small fraction of Britain has been concreted over.
There will be quibbles. What about the gardens people have paved? The NEA looked at that, noting how in London an estimated 3,200 hectares of front gardens have been covered in concrete, bricks or gravel.
Paving levels are highest, it was found, in the North-East of England and Scotland, where 47% and 31% of front gardens are more than three-quarters paved. The detail in their analysis is impressive.
Quite simply, the figures suggest Britain's mental picture of its landscape is far removed from the reality.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Vote remain you know it makes sense

Now thats a good argument "you know it makes sense". Erm - no I don't and no it doesn't. Whats makes sense is for us to remain the United Kingdom and not become part of the Forth Reich.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
In 2012 only 7% of the United Kingdom was urban, I don't think we need to concrete over the Downs any time soon

Fantastic reply,super!!....Night-lights-in-Britain-Image-Paolo-NespoliESA.jpg It's a good job too.....perhaps we should switch the lights off..

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
You are either not focused or purposeflully misunderstanding me. I've been very clear i do not see them ever joining the EU but i believe we will always try and be close to them given the geo-political space they occupy. Shortenened version of my views expressed on here but neither contradictory nor difficult to follow.

Is that why it was reported today that the EU are stepping up there efforts with regards to Turkey with regards to joining. Something just doesn't add up here

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here