Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
1975 Referendum 10 weeks from start to finish.

Legislation introduced in Parliament 26 March 1975 and Referendum held 5 June 1975.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Nigel Farage is not, never has been, and almost certainly never will be, an MP.

He's stood for election many times, and never come close.

Because he is a lying, self-interested little toad.

The fourth time he stood for election he was beaten by a dolphin.

fanseagull

Dec 18, 2018
Did anyone else see Newsnight last night? Nick Watt interviewing some northern woman who'd been at a 'Leave Means Leave' rally in London, who said it's all 'b******s', a conspiracy by remainers, David Davis should be PM and finished off by saying does he remember Oliver Cromwell and Enoch Powell.......................

What has happened to this country.

We've always had people with such opinions; they are just more vocal with it now.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'm not sure that Norway are in a position to demand payment. If we were discussing with them the option to join the EEA with Norway, and they made it difficult, they'd be made aware that one of our alternatives is to stay in the EU, where we could make things difficult for Norway.

Norway isn't part of the EU, so if we stay in, how could we make things difficult for them? 27 other countries have a vote too.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Wrong again. I agree that the referendum wasn't binding BUT since then Parliament HAS passed a law, which is still in place, that says we WILL leave on the 29th March ..... unless another law is passed.

Article 50 can be revoked at any time up until 29th March. Parliament has to agree, but it doesn't need another law.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Article 50 can be revoked at any time up until 29th March. Parliament has to agree, but it doesn't need another law.

Fancy providing the evidence of that ? To over rule a law new legislation must be passed ...... obviously by Parliament.

From the LSE :

"The final option is one which is, as yet, little discussed. There is, following the Court’s judgment, no doubt that it is legally possible. Parliament could simply pass legislation which instructs the Government to revoke Article 50. "

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We are going to extend/withdraw article 50.

Boris has made great pains to say it would be appalling to do, his failed speech today was a leadership pitch.

He knows something will happen.

D

Deleted member 22389

Fancy providing the evidence of that ? To over rule a law new legislation must be passed ...... obviously by Parliament.

From the LSE :

"The final option is one which is, as yet, little discussed. There is, following the Court’s judgment, no doubt that it is legally possible. Parliament could simply pass legislation which instructs the Government to revoke Article 50. "

I'm feeling less and less confident about us actually leaving at the moment. It's a sad situation we find ourselves in, not helped by this 24/7 negativity.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

From the LSE :

The only law that would need looking at is the Withdrawal act, and even then it is just the date that really needs amending, which can be done with secondary legislation by a minister.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
DxMQVk7XgAAHF5t.jpg

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
I'm feeling less and less confident about us actually leaving at the moment. It's a sad situation we find ourselves in, not helped by this 24/7 negativity.

I think you'll allowing a few loud remainers suggesting that Brexit is dead to get to you. As per my post you quoted, some of them don't seem to understand that legislation MUST be passed to stop us leaving on the 29th March - it would appear all of a sudden they don't understand what the process of passing legislation is or indeed how long it takes.

MPs next get a vote on this on the 29th Jan. That leaves 2 sitting days in January after that. There are 12 sitting days in February thanks to the recess ( there are rumours this will be cancelled but as yet this hasn't happened ) and finally 16 sitting days in March. That makes a grand total of 30 sitting days between now and leave day. Also remember parliament is in a muddle at the moment with no clear view. Tories won't shift, Labour are sulking and the other parties don't hold enough numbers to change anything by themselves. Unless someone pulls a rabbit out of a hat then we're leaving on the 29th March.

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
The only law that would need looking at is the Withdrawal act, and even then it is just the date that really needs amending, which can be done with secondary legislation by a minister.

Only if that is allowed in the original act ...... I've not read every word but I haven't seen where that was put into the original act.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here