Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ***Ratings vs Bournemouth***

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Stephens acts a protector of the back four better than any other player but I would like to see Propper pushed further forward with Bissouma perhaps at the expense of Gross especially away from home.

Giving propper a decent run in a more forward position is at least a year overdue

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We looked pretty good up to half time I thought, biggest failing today was our crossing.....time, after time, after time. It was dreadful - March, Gross, Montoya, Bernardo, Locadia......all crap. Thought we looked far more dynamic and adventurous in midfield with Bissouma and Propper. I wasn’t even too worried about being a goal down at HT as thought we’d get something. Second half Bournemouth seemed to defend in a much more organised fashion and sucked the life out of us very quickly and deserved the win. Would like to see Locadia play no 10 instead of Gross....some decent signs from him today but he hasn’t quite got how our wingers normally play, exposing us on that side a bit. Gross looks woefully off the pace at the moment.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
March was awful again in play. From a set piece his delivery is good but in play he slows it down and offers little. Propper and Gross were poor the rest all played ok

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I thought our biggest weakness today was winning the loose balls. Bournemouth seemed to clean up all the loose possession . Every hoofed ball was won by them.It gave them the control of the 2nd half and made our long balls down the line look like we'd given up. We were simply out fought.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
We got picked off. Like shooting ducks in a barrell. They let us run ourselves into the ground. Once in each half then picked us off by one attack. I know people don't like it when we go away from home and defend but it will yield more points than playing expansive and open like that. Yes we can go home and say we didn't deserve that. But I would rather be saying "we didn't deserve that" when we have walked away having stolen the points

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
In American english this sounds funny.. which part of him saying spotty useless runt is offensive? In the US runt is the smallest of a litter of animals, is that what it means in British English too?

English. :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought our biggest weakness today was winning the loose balls. Bournemouth seemed to clean up all the loose possession . Every hoofed ball was won by them.It gave them the control of the 2nd half and made our long balls down the line look like we'd given up. We were simply out fought.

Yup, we lost nearly all the 50/50s in the second half. They wanted it more than us.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We got picked off. Like shooting ducks in a barrell. They let us run ourselves into the ground. Once in each half then picked us off by one attack. I know people don't like it when we go away from home and defend but it will yield more points than playing expansive and open like that. Yes we can go home and say we didn't deserve that. But I would rather be saying "we didn't deserve that" when we have walked away having stolen the points

Which would be a fair enough point had we not created anything. In the first half, however, Begovitch made two outstanding saves and we spurned several other good positions with wastefulness. You can't get picked off when you're 2 up.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

That's the dilemma Hughton faces. Without Murray or Stephens we did look a little flimsy. But with Murray we have no pace and so no threat on the counter. Stephens has taken a battering on here recently for not being able to play with dynamism or attacking adventure but what he does do (usually...) is give us a secure footing in the centre of the pitch. I'd like to see him play in the defensive midfield position in the same formation we played today. Then you can have two of Propper, Bissouma or Gross to play the central more attacking roles. I think that would work pretty well. We've looked good on the ball playing 4-1-4-1, certainly better than we have playing 4-4-1-1.

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

Last season we had the worst away record in the league, so I’m not sure you can say the defensive approach will yield more points.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I don’t agree. “They let us run ourselves into the ground. Once in each half then picked us off by one attack.” gives a false impression of how the game played out. They did score two goals but both were quite exceptional in my, and the press’ opinion. We created a number of first half chances ourselves. On another day their goals would not have gone in and with better finishing ours would. And getting another red didn’t help.

In short it wasn’t playing less defensively which cost us points, it was about who had the better end product and, yet again, our discipline.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Last season we had the worst away record in the league, so I’m not sure you can say the defensive approach will yield more points.

Very good point.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Thought it was similar to Burnley away, some nice approach play but lacking in the final third. Genuinely think we are improving but just lack that something going forward.
If we concede first you never feel confident of a come back, Huddersfield was different after the early sending off and building on our fore mentioned nice approach play.
Wasn't too sure about the substitutions,I know Bong coming on was enforced due to Dunk's red card but we could have gone narrow and played Murray and Andone together and chased the game instead of settling for a two nil defeat. Maybe that is what we lack positivity on the pitch and from the dugout.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Agree with this.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thought it was similar to Burnley away, some nice approach play but lacking in the final third. Genuinely think we are improving but just lack that something going forward.
If we concede first you never feel confident of a come back, Huddersfield was different after the early sending off and building on our fore mentioned nice approach play.
Wasn't too sure about the substitutions,I know Bong coming on was enforced due to Dunk's red card but we could have gone narrow and played Murray and Andone together and chased the game instead of settling for a two nil defeat. Maybe that is what we lack positivity on the pitch and from the dugout.

I thought Bruno should have come on as CB instead of Bong. By that stage of the game, Bernardo was a marauding threat down the left (beyond his crossing, of course), and that looked like our only way of getting something with ten men.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here