Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] NSC - Spreading Hate?

Has NSC got its house in order on spreading hate?

• Yes it is working

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • Free speech is the way

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Permanent bans for repeat offenders and more infractions

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • You ok Hun?

Votes: 27 25.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Going back a few months I was really starting to despair of NSC, with the large number of hate threads running. I am not of course referring to football, but the general anti-anyone who is different from me threads and racial stereotyping, of oh look another crime committed by someone who is....

Recently things seem much better and this may be connected to one or two banishments from the forum, but reading through the club statement, is NSC getting it right?

Bozza's comment that NSC is not mumsnet, is always something that comes back to me, when I try and get this straight in my own head. I like a lot of the debates on here and enjoy chipping in on a number of subjects, it can be a good way to let off steam. I also think the system of infractions and short bans, is helpful, for when someone for whatever reason has gone off on one and needs to calm down. There are however a small number of people, who add nothing positive at all and I also find it frustrating sometimes, when posters who have been a right PITA are allowed to come back with a new username and quickly resort to posting the same old SH1TE.

So is NSC getting it right? Personally I think broadly speaking it is working, but I would like to see a small number of permanent bans and a little less tolerance to thread starters, who never seem to contribute to anything else to the forum other than hatred.

I think the combination of Ignore and "time-outs" generally works just fine.

Some accounts on here are on solely wind-up / fishing accounts and those are the ones that generally cause most of the over-heating when the more controversial debates get going.

There could be a thread of "We Recommend You Ignore..." :shootself

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There could be a thread of "We Recommend You Ignore..." :shootself

Great idea. In the same way as when you join twitter, you are given some suggested accounts to follow, we could give those joining NSC a list of accounts to immediately put on ignore...

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
No, it's DadsNet.

I don't recall ever saying/typing that but I barely recall what I did yesterday, so I'm not doubting I did.

Dear old Ed, Lord Bracknell, always used to say NSC lets people write stupid things because there will be plenty of people to tell them why what they've written is stupid and explain to them why, and that's broadly the line we've always taken.

If your post isn't illegal, then it will be allowed to stand. The one caveat to that is that I could end up in a lot of shit for what someone I don't know and have never met writes on here, so sometimes something may be removed for the simple reason that I'd like to keep a roof over my family's head. In short: I won't take too many chances.

It does feel as though NSC has become as divisive as society in this country generally, which I guess is no surprise. Last week I caught a cab into town and the cabbie told me that NSC is far too left wing. People on the left, such as [MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION], tell me that it's too right wing. This curiosity might just reflect that most us spend so much time within our own echo chambers, largely digesting the views of those we agree with, that we find it jarring to be exposed to those views that differ to our own.

We have started to take a firmer moderating stance on those who are just here spoiling for a fight. We don't want to censor anyone, but if you come on here just posting something provocative because you know you'll get an adverse reaction, then we really don't want you here. We may get the odd decision wrong, but we do take account of your track record on the site. If you've largely spent your time on here being antagonistic and rarely, if ever, get involved in Albion discussions then this probably isn't the site for you.

Beyond that, I really want NSC to be a force for good. The members of this site have achieved so much, not least of all playing a pivotal part in the saving of our football club, and bringing about the REMF after the 9/11 tragedy. I've been thinking about it a bit recently and with so many in society struggling, it would be really good to be able to round up NSCers from time to time to get stuck into local initiatives that could really benefit from groups of enthusiastic volunteers. If anyone has any ideas about this, I'd be delighted to hear them.

Excellent post.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great idea. In the same way as when you join twitter, you are given some suggested accounts to follow, we could give those joining NSC a list of accounts to immediately put on ignore...

Or just hope for another 3-1 victory in March.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Agreed that people should be entitled to say their piece, but no-one is entitled to abuse or threaten other contributors, and why allow trolls to de-rail threads? I'm interested to know what you mean by "this could well work both ways"?

Sorry, if I was not being too clear. The post to which I was responding, which was akin to another poster's views was that basically we should engage and not insult (presume we all agree with that!!) but then went to criticise the views of others stating that it is impossible to have a discussion with certain folk. What I meant was that those folk might feel the same about you (not you personally) and it might be your intransigence that is the problem, but of course it is easy to blame others for an impasse.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
That is entirely the point of the thread. Right now there is nothing particularly objectionable on the front page, so it should be clear I am not having a go at any specific individuals. If it is just me, I will have to live with it, or go start my own forum (not recommended), however it seems like a good time to at least have a discussion.

NSCR :wink:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Sorry, if I was not being too clear. The post to which I was responding, which was akin to another poster's views was that basically we should engage and not insult (presume we all agree with that!!) but then went to criticise the views of others stating that it is impossible to have a discussion with certain folk. What I meant was that those folk might feel the same about you (not you personally) and it might be your intransigence that is the problem, but of course it is easy to blame others for an impasse.

Certainly wasn't my intention to come across as criticising others in my original post. Was just trying to say essentially what you've said in a much clearer way than I could manage!

People on both sides can be belligerent and insufferable; f**k knows I'm guilty of it from time to time.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Certainly wasn't my intention to come across as criticising others in my original post. Was just trying to say essentially what you've said in a much clearer way than I could manage!

People on both sides can be belligerent and insufferable; f**k knows I'm guilty of it from time to time.

Yes, thanks for that. I make very effort not to insult, and think that I have only ever done it once -a really nasty insult, that is, and then immediately regretted it. I think that the anonymity of the internet is often to blame -all of us know that it is extremely unlikely that we will be identified. On occasion you do read that when folk on NSC actually meet up, they acknowledge that their internet adversary, if you want, is actually a really nice chap, and that the discussions are then very amicable, when face to face, as it should be.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Generally works well, those that speak out of line are usually banned in some form or another.

The likes of Daily Express could learn a thing or two, the comments section against some articles and vile and beyond belief

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
To probably misquote Edith Hall " I may disagree with things people say but I will defend their right to say it" as long as it's within certain limitations ie not racist, sexist, homophobic or likley to result in a crime

Debate is good and it's particularly good if it's with those who hold diffrent views as we generally mix with individuals who agree with ourselves

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Or just hope for another 3-1 victory in March.
Good point, does [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] mean to apply the new mod stance to our friends from up the road who come on here purely to troll? Has that already been instigated. Or have results on the pitch meant there's no need?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good point, does [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] mean to apply the new mod stance to our friends from up the road who come on here purely to troll? Has that already been instigated. Or have results on the pitch meant there's no need?

I think when they eventually resurface they should be instantly banned for the period of time they were on 'holiday'.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Going back a few months I was really starting to despair of NSC, with the large number of hate threads running.

Large number of hate threads??? What? Personally I can't remember any that fall into that category. Care to name some? Snowflake generation in action methinks.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Large number of hate threads??? What? Personally I can't remember any that fall into that category. Care to name some? Snowflake generation in action methinks.

Please see 141726, 188847, 188848 and 190019 to name but a few.

No one would ever accuse you of being too sensitive.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Makes me laugh all this current pc bollox , A large amount of NSC members have taken part on a massive scale a keyboard warrior style of internet bullying of another NSC member , so much so that member stopped posting on a regular basis infact i can't recall the last time i saw him post , it may well seem harmless fun to take the piss out of people with learning difficulties on a football forum but i know 100% that nobody would say anything to his face that they've done on here , he's ultimately decided it's just not worth the hurt posting anymore , seems a shame that somebody has been singled out for being different and abused for it , iv'e only got to look at the NSC banner to realise it still seems to people to be just a bit of fun , it's not .

I'm absolutely sure iv'e taken the piss out of people on here i don't even know in the real world , would i do it to their face ? probably not , it's a fine line between humor and abuse and sometimes the old fingers get carried away before the brain kicks in , i would hate to see a mod fest pouncing on every single thread for some irregularity , best way to filter out the dirge is to keep football in a separate section to the rest of the How do i get to Hove from Brighton wearing a flowery hat threads .

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
4 You OK Hun? Apologies if that is a little too subtle.

If that is what that is meant to say then it should say it, it's just another typical "what can I say that every one will like option".

To many Italian "soft underbellies" on here.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Free speech is the way, as long as everyone realises that everyone else has an opinion which may differ from theirs.

Aye agree ...but with freedom of speech comes a tad bit of responsibility I would have thought....and I definitely wouldn’t want the responsibility of moderating this forum ..thankless task

Anyway have a nice Christmas you ****** ***** :whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here