Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Red wine recommendations please

Godstar

Jan 18, 2012
Sodom..or is it Gomorrah!
I already had his website open :)

Still, I'd just be yet another customer wandering in asking the same question, so I thought I'd ask you guys for some of your recommendations :)

Glad I could help :)
Where will you get your Gran Passione?

Get it from Henry’s also does a great ripasso as well at about £15 called Torre D’Orte. If as you say you want a really special wine then the Amerone version at £33 is stunning.

Last edited:

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Can thoroughly recommend Chocolate Block...
And anything from the Boutkenhoutskloof label - although they are difficult to source in the UK

The Chocolate Block is available from Waitrose and Majestic (although not always and not in all stores - almost always available on line though) and many independent retailers. At the moment Waitrose are running a 25% off 6 promo so an ideal time to stock up.

Boekenhoutskloof wines are also in many independent retailers (including Hailsham Cellars) and Majestic should have some soon.

Last edited:

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
1E095643-1CE4-4100-AD95-0CD778C3C35A.jpeg

I’ve just opened this for later - I’ll let you know! :thumbsup:

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
As a side note , the VIVINO app is good to have .
Take a quick photo of the label and it will tell you what others thought of the wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A “bold” wine for someone who likes cheap Malbec for between £20 and £50?

Try:

Vigne E Vini Varvaglione 'Papale' Linea Oro Primitivo di Manduria 2015 - £18-25.
Kaesler 'W.O.M.S' Shiraz-Cabernet 2006 (Oz) - £42-54
Peter Lehmann 'Stonewell' Shiraz 2012 (Oz) - £35-42
Turley 'Old Vines' Zinfandel 2015 (CA) - ~£30

Prices vary according to source.

To all readers who only buy cheap wine - just remember that if you pay £5 for a bottle of wine, the producer is getting 17p for the liquid inside the bottle. That’s the problem when your taxation system has both a fixed charge/bottle and a variable charge for wine.

“I don’t like wine. I paid £5, and it tastes like vinegar”. No shit, Sherlock. Now, pay £15, and there’s some decent stuff out there. As well as vinegar, obvs.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here