Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Old time favourites

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Vesta Beef Risotto!!!

I used to love that. Vestas were actually my route into cooking. In the 70s when my parents went away and left us to fend for ourselves, they would leave those boxes - there wasn't much else back then, but I would follow those instructions and then pimp it up a little, which ultimately led to me teaching myself to cook properly.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In yesterdays papers being British Pie week they listed the top 10 most popular pies. The top 4 were

1. Shepherds Pie
2 Cottage Pie
3 Fish Pie
4 Steak & Kidney

I wouldnt class 1 -3 as pies as to me a true pie has to have pastry but perhaps that is just me although I like all 4 of those.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I am making a bacon and Onion suet pudding for dinner today a favourite of mine in my young days This left me thinking what other dishes are not made very often nowadays. by the modern generation The first that came to mind was Chicken Maryland with banana fritters. Any more suggestions for me to try from the old days?

Bacon pudding one of my favourites, in fact enjoyed one for dinner last Tuesday. As well as bacon and onion, I also included a sprinkled oxo cube onto the bacon and onion before rolling up. I found that this adds to the flavour and enjoyment of eating the bacon pudding

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
My favourite meal of all time is bacon, suet and onion pudding, must have some mixed herbs thrown in.

My mum's was awesome. My wife does her best, but isn't quite there (mainly as she bakes it and doesn't steam it).

An absolute staple dish in our house when I was growing up, alongside baked stew and stew and dumplings. Pretty much anything that used the cheap cuts of meat my granddad and dad could get from the meat market in Hollingdean (they worked in the abattoir up the road). The smell of liver and bacon being cooked still haunts me to this day.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
******s.

*edit* that is F A G G O T S as in the meatball type things.

Tripe isn't that popular these days either.

I LOVE Brains 5aggots, unfortunately my wife hates them.

I've only ever seen them as a 6 pack recently in the freezer section, which is loads more than I can consume, and as they're frozen I'd need a chainsaw to split them into 2 or 3 portions so I haven't had them for years!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Bacon and Onion Pudding is a favourite of mine. My Nan used to make a lovely one and so does my Mum. Dorset Arms in Lewes had it on the menu about 15 years ago quite regularly too.

Another favourite of mine would be a homemade steamed treacle sponge pudding. ****ing lovely.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

I've only ever seen them as a 6 pack recently in the freezer section, which is loads more than I can consume, and as they're frozen I'd need a chainsaw to split them into 2 or 3 portions so I haven't had them for years!

Recently had them at the Shepard and Dog where they were doing Fulking F_aggots. I loved them.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Tinned fruit with custard? I can still remember eating tinned peaches, pears, pineapple, or mandarin orange segments with custard, regularly for dessert when l was growing up at home.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
******s.

*edit* that is F A G G O T S as in the meatball type things.

They sell them at Burton Albion, unfortunately when we where up there due to the queue being rather large at half time i had to give them a miss.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was told by my local butcher that he doesnt make and sell ******s due to the legislation which says the ingredients must be shown and he said it is too much trouble.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bacon pudding one of my favourites, in fact enjoyed one for dinner last Tuesday. As well as bacon and onion, I also included a sprinkled oxo cube onto the bacon and onion before rolling up. I found that this adds to the flavour and enjoyment of eating the bacon pudding

I did the same and also added mixed herbs and couple of cloves of garlic finely minced

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Iceland and most other supermarkets sell them in packs of 4. At the moment they are 75p a pack or 2 for £1 at Iceland, not sure how long the offer is for though.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Iceland and most other supermarkets sell them in packs of 4. At the moment they are 75p a pack or 2 for £1 at Iceland, not sure how long the offer is for though.

Yeah, only want 2

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
A lot if these dishes are served in my cafe on a daily basis.
Bacon and onion pudding( not roll), Steak and Kidney pudding( with suet pastry), cottage pie, liver ,bacon and onions.I also do stuffed sheeps hearts on occasion as a special. All home made.

The most popular is steak and kidney pud, I make about 20-30 a week. I know this is 'old fashioned' fare, but, I'm in Worthing, and someonehas to feed the oldies.

I do traditional puddings as well, apple pie,rhubarb crumble, syrup sponge, and spotty dick, all home made as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here