Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Does anyone use one of the 'small' suppliers for gas & electric

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Has anyone tried Avro or Tonik - currently looking like good deals on Money saving energy club aka Martin Lewis?
Been with Ovo then Flow but latest renewal is quite a jump

Tonik and no grumbles after 7 months. Cheapest for me as away 5 months a year and got a low standing charge.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
Moved from PFP to Octopus. The move from PFP wasn’t as smooth as it should have been, kept getting snotty e-mails (I suspect they were auto-generated) but when I spoke to a PFP employee it got sorted.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
With Avro and just about to start a second contract. Ran through comparison sites and an alternative tariff was available. the switch just required an Email - very straightforward.

I have used Ovo in the past, which was also clear and simple to use. The worst ones to deal with were Eon. Really poor information, slow response, garbled billing that was really difficult to understand and unpick. I wasted too much time dealing with this and would check carefully any savings offered before signing up again with them.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
yes but there's plenty out there with useless "smart " meters:facepalm:
regards
DR

Yes indeed. The generation 1 smart meters were a mistake waiting to happen, and sure enough it happened. Looks like they've learned the lesson for the gen 2 meters.

Sorry if I am being thick here but....

You are with supplier A and they get you/you get a smart meter.

You then change to supplier B. As your smart meter was put in by Supplier A, it is no longer smart but reverts back to being a standard meter?

So, if the above is right, the benefits of a smart meter (which seem marginal to me anyway) are obviated? As you have switched, supplier B will need to come and replace your (non smart) smart meter with a new smart meter? And then you switch again.....

Hardly joined up thinking.......

Only applicable for any smart meters that have already been installed (or get installed before the generation 2 devices become available). Later this year the generation 2 devices will start going out, and those are supposed to fix the majority of the problems with the generation 1 devices (including the stupidity of them going dumb).

Mannakin

Jun 24, 2013
Hove (actually!)
When using the price comparison sites, check that it shows all the suppliers, some sites only show the suppliers that you can switch to via that site (e.g. Uswitch) - you have to tick/untick a box on the web-site to see them all.

I've recent changed to Outfox The Market (away from EDF) - they charge you a flat fee depending on your usage "band" and then the gas and electricity are at wholesale prices. No contract, you can move again when you want to.

The switch has gone ok so far but I don't have much experience of their service apart from that. Seems ok so far.

EDF put in an electric smart meter but i could never get a gas one fitted and EDF never automatically read the meter using the build in connection - i always had to read the meter myself and key it into the internet. A working gas and electric smart meter might be nice :)

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
EDF put in an electric smart meter but i could never get a gas one fitted and EDF never automatically read the meter using the build in connection - i always had to read the meter myself and key it into the internet. A working gas and electric smart meter might be nice :)

What does the EDF meter look like? Might just have been a digital display dumb meter to replace an old style meter that wasn't working correctly. We've got one here, because our old meter was so dumb that it ran backwards after we had solar panels installed. The replacement meter has a little digital screen that shows the reading, but it's not connected to anything to be able to auto-send readings back to the supplier.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Currently transferring from EON to Octopus.

Just received an email stating that if I introduce another customer, He/She AND I will receive a £50 credit on our Accounts.

So if they are prepared to dish out £100 I wonder what my switch site (USWITCH) receives?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Does anyone use one of the 'small' suppliers for gas & electric

We are with ‘Affect’ for gas and electric. They have been fine- it’s all done online. They have remained a cheap option. They’re based in Shoreham I think so are a local option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Yes indeed. The generation 1 smart meters were a mistake waiting to happen, and sure enough it happened. Looks like they've learned the lesson for the gen 2 meters.

Only applicable for any smart meters that have already been installed (or get installed before the generation 2 devices become available). Later this year the generation 2 devices will start going out, and those are supposed to fix the majority of the problems with the generation 1 devices (including the stupidity of them going dumb).

I got contacted by OVO last week to ask if I wanted a smart meter installed, and said yes as assumed it was a no brainer, so they are coming on Monday morning to install. Having read this thread and people saying 1st gen are rubbish I did some research and it is 1st gen they're installing.

AS you seem to be in the know.... What am I letting myself in for and should I cancel asap, and hold off for 2nd gen later in the year??
Thanks!

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing

Thanks for that. Here's hoping the G2s sort put the problems.

By the way, I was with both Ovo and switched to Bulb, and then switched to Bristol Energy as, it both cases, the introductory offers expired and thought I could do better. Within a month of being with Bristol, they increased my monthly payment by 15%, so ended up paying more. Going to switch back to Bulb, I reckon. Or possibly another small supplier

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here