Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Running tip. Don't eat half a packet of roquefort before doing mile pace intervals.
Only thing worse were the bowl of cold whelks and cider vinegar I ate in February before a long run. In fact that was much worse and just the thought of them still makes me wretch. I thought the high iron content would be good for me.

On the other hand, regular lumps of Roquefort on an ultra would be brilliant :)

Anyone parkrunning tomorrow ? I've got to put some effort in so will probably do one.....Hove Prom perhaps

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Rest days, schmest days. Up to day 47 now and still ticking along.

Yesterday I decided I wanted to stick to the road and try and maintain consistent pace as it's something I've always been rubbish at. I tend to just get slower and s-l-o-w-e-r. I did 8.3 miles with my fastest mile at 9:13 and my slowest at 9:16. It's not consistent effort however as, due to where I live, I always start off downhill and then have to climb uphill to get home. Happy with the consistency though.

Today I thought I'd see if I have any speed at all (relatively speaking, as I'll never be quick). I managed 3 miles at 7:55, 7:46 and 7:45 which all but finished me off. I plodded home from there. This did mean I took over a minute off my 2016 5km PB (but still way off my PB from last year) and also ran my fastest 10km of 2016.

I was thinking last night that I finally felt like I was getting some fitness back, but I then logged into Strava this morning and saw that [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] had already run over 47 fast miles this week by last night. Unbelievable.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I was thinking last night that I finally felt like I was getting some fitness back, but I then logged into Strava this morning and saw that [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] had already run over 47 fast miles this week by last night. Unbelievable.

There you are, chipping away all week, comfortably topping the Strava leaderboard for distance, and then someone comes along and casually knocks out a weekend ultra to ruin your dreams of glory... well, that's my experience anyway.

I notice that you are comfortably topping the charts for time on feet lately, good effort!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Anyone parkrunning tomorrow ? I've got to put some effort in so will probably do one.....Hove Prom perhaps

I've had a weird week of running. Decided to do a half marathon distance long run on Sunday as I had some time for a change. Was then going to do some final intervals this week. Still ached on Tuesday so only did a 5 mile recovery instead but that was still enough to force me to cancel yesterday entirely with a stupidly tight calf and slightly dodgy knee.

Stretches today seem to be working and there's no football training tomorrow so if I wake up and feel good I'll be doing Hove Park parkrun in the morning. If, on the other hand I can still feel either niggle I'll probably not run till Phoenix.

My time expectations for Phoenix are heading north every day anyway. The Euros have not been kind to me, beer, cheese, wine, pork scratchings, the lot.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I'll be at one or t'other. Aiming for a 25 minute jobbie with a fun final furlong. Recovering from yesterday's best intervals for a long time. Be back at tempo on Sunday's run. Sticking resolutely to the plan.
Taking the Phoenix seriously this year and even bought a running vest from the new H&M, Hennes, sportswear collection today. I was impressed with the quality and styling. Worked out that having no heat under the arms for 6.2 miles should take at least 3 seconds of my finish time......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Kit and barcode laid out for Hove Park. Just given the calf a good hammering on the foam roller. Assuming there's no reaction I'll be parkrunning.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Shitehouse 20.56 for me, struggled from the start. Bit blowy on the prom which didn't help, massive curry last night (no beer) probably contributed a bit as well.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Maiden Preston Park run today, wasn't pushing too hard but paced it just about right as I didn't have a huge amount left. I reckon I finished in about 19:45 but this is where the story comes in.

I didn't realise you had to veer left at the finish so I continued past the cafe and down the hill. Kept thinking to myself surely the finish line is near the cafe and at 3.18 miles according to Garmin it dawned on me I'd overshot the runway.

Still good prep for Wednesday. No more running now until then and plenty of foam rolling.

Sub 40 seems unlikely I would imagine 40:30 seems realistic depending on conditions.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Good turn out from NSC AC at Hove Park this morning. 21:20 for me. [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] took the honours and congrats to [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] on a pb.

Looking forward to Wednesday. Meet on Hove Lawns near the start?

Brunswick afterwards for rehydration?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good turn out from NSC AC at Hove Park this morning. 21:20 for me. [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] took the honours and congrats to [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] on a pb.

Count me in, looking forward to it.

Well done [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] for the PB and I'll be able to give you the money back for the Mince Pie entry from last December!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Brunswick sounds good to me.

Had a great park run. Off the pace for 2 miles and then decided to chase [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] (well done on PB after your drinkathon) who was way off in the distance. For the gentle Hove Park slope and descent to the finish managed a recent best times for 1 mile at 6:20, a recent best 3:39 km and a recent best half mile of 2:50. Best running for 7 years.

Last mile probably my best running for 7 years. Get this sub 43 Phoenix target out the way on Wednesday, few pints in the Brunswick and then bit more training for this attempt at revisiting sub 20. Not seen for 7 years but I'm starting to believe.I'm going to need some pacers though.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Bad news for me. Out of the Phoenix. Tested the Achilles today in the Worthing PR. Did 21.33 and struggled in the back half - with the Achilles failing the test as badly as I failed the 11+ in the early 1970s!
Good luck to all the NSC Phoenix contingent - my impression is that there'll be some good times..........................

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Had a great park run. Off the pace for 2 miles and then decided to chase [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] (well done on PB after your drinkathon) who was way off in the distance. For the gentle Hove Park slope and descent to the finish managed a recent best times for 1 mile at 6:20, a recent best 3:39 km and a recent best half mile of 2:50. Best running for 7 years.

Last mile probably my best running for 7 years. Get this sub 43 Phoenix target out the way on Wednesday, few pints in the Brunswick and then bit more training for this attempt at revisiting sub 20. Not seen for 7 years but I'm starting to believe.I'm going to need some pacers though.

Can drag each other round at some point, I need to get back to at least aiming for sub 20........

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Count me in, looking forward to it.

Well done [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] for the PB and I'll be able to give you the money back for the Mince Pie entry from last December!

Cheers chaps. 22.03 officially. [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] absolutely flew past me at the end.
[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] I was talking to the 23 pacer in the cafe afterwards. He had been the 22 pacer the week before and not reset his watch. This is why he was all over our backs. He only realised after about 3.5 K he said though he then slowed down significantly to get 23 dead. Had he not hassled me I probably wouldn't have knocked 10 seconds off the PB so I thanked him profusely.

Brunswick seems an excellent plan on Weds, see you then chaps.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
... and my result from Guildford parkrun - 19:09 - a pb by 15 seconds!

I'm shocked, amazed, pleased!

Well done. Be happy with that for today and then get to work knocking off the 10 seconds. Sub 19 is coming......

Trying to look at your pacing today but Strava doesn't show the graph or route. Do you need to turn it on, turn it off again? Don't think it's me as other runners stats come up.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Well done. Be happy with that for today and then get to work knocking off the 10 seconds. Sub 19 is coming......

Trying to look at your pacing today but Strava doesn't show the graph or route. Do you need to turn it on, turn it off again? Don't think it's me as other runners stats come up.

Cheers, no watch so no data I'm afraid - just a manual entry on Strava. 9:10 was called by the timekeeper at the end of the 1st lap, so I was about a minute slower for the 2nd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here