Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Harveys just a tad over-rated??

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
If you think the Harveys at the Amex is how it should be take it from me as an almost proffesional Harveys drinker it is not. I have NEVER had a good pint of Harveys at Amex(its either mediocre or awfull).

It is not the easiest of beers to keep well......I`ve found The most consistent place for a pint of Harveys is the Lewes Arms...in Lewes. Try it....

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hang Him!

On a serious note, I understand everyone has different tastes. But London Pride always tastes like watered-down Harveys to me, so I'm always a little surprised when people prefer it.

I also note that your favorites come from a wide variety of different styles. Whereas mine tend to me (more-or-less) bitters made from English hops.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think its a bit trendy to pop at Harveys, end of the day they rack up lots of awards by beardy people that profess expertise in the matter. on the other hand there's not much wrong with London Pride, and its trendy to scoff at that because its getting popular too. to be honest they are quite different beers, and some that would really like one wouldn't like the other.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We are very fortunate to have it. And it should not be judged on what you get at the Amex.

But other beers are available.

I thought it was only Bensgrandad that thought that? The Harveys at the Amex is (usually) very good, apart from the fact it's in a plastic cup.
If you think the Harveys at the Amex is how it should be take it from me as an almost proffesional Harveys drinker it is not. I have NEVER had a good pint of Harveys at Amex(its either mediocre or awfull).

It is not the easiest of beers to keep well......I`ve found The most consistent place for a pint of Harveys is the Lewes Arms...in Lewes. Try it....

I see your "I'm almost a professional Harveys drinker" and raise you an I've been on a professional Harveys serving course.

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
A well kept pint of most things are better than a poorly kept pint of anything to be honest.

Yes that's the truth.

I like Harveys, but most of the 'Local' ales around here are very nice, especially if 'you're buying.

The Harveys at the Amex has a hard time of it, I suspect it's poorly kept, at the wrong temperature, it should be around 13C. It's sloshed around and pulled by those inexperienced in pulling a pint. It's almost as bad as the Harveys they serve at the Friar's thingy in Hassocks at £4.40!! a pint, yes it's even more expensive than the Amex.

But go to a proper pub, run by a landlord who knows his stuff and it's soft with a just the right hoppyness and a lovely after taste Mmmmmm.

All this talk makes me feel the need for a pint right now :drink: Cheers .....

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Love Harvey's and will drink only that if a pub sells it.

However, i do enjoy other ales...Old Speckled Hen, Old Trip, London's Pride, Spitfire etc.

However, i tried a pint of Old Golden Hen last night and it was just to "flowery" for me !!!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I thought it was only Bensgrandad that thought that?

Like a dagger to the heart ......................

The Harveys at the Amex is (usually) very good, apart from the fact it's in a plastic cup.

Possibly just that. Don't get me wrong - it is fine, and we are lucky to have it, but it is not quite there. I will do some further research next home game.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
If anyone's heading to The Snowdrop, the Independence ale is quite something. I don't know what it is about Harveys, but in most pubs there are, imho, better beers on tap and I just never choose to waste my £4+ on it.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
On my first trip to the Amex I was impressed that you were providing a fine local ale, but what I was served fell well short of the Harveys at the Royal Oak in Borough.

Can't help feeling that beer is an acquired taste, and what you started on has a lot to do with your preference. Pint of Watneys Red Barrel anyone? :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here