Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do ghosts exist?

Do ghosts exist?

• Total voters

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Some people voted yes. It's good to have a diverse world of different views.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Made up stuff does 'exist' though - as fiction. The things you list are real TV programmes. Time travel, reincarnation, clairvoyance and god are all made up so they also exist as fiction. I think the OP is asking whether ghosts exist as real things. Obviously they exist as fiction. Especially in A Christmas Carol. And Ghostbusters.

An interesting question is "does something exist simply because we believe it exists"? When I was a lad I knew people who thought that Coronation Street was what we would call today 'reality TV'. We are all free to believe anything, but this has no relationship to whether the belief is correct or real. I think the OP is asking whether ghosts actually exist, not whether we believe they exist. However he may not have thought his question through.

What would your explanation of EVP's be then?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Unlikely. I'm pretty confident Aliens exist though.

How confident, exactly? Confident as in 'confident the Albion won't be relegated this sason' or 'confident I will win the lottery...eventually' or 'confident I will live forever'?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What would your explanation of EVP's be then?

Why would I feel the need to have an explanation for unexplained phenomena? At my age? I loved all that stuff when I was a teenager (the occult; Borley Rectory; Aliester Crowley; Erich von Däniken; Uri Geller). Later I grew up. The natural world is hard enough to explain without worrying about illusionism, pranksters, fraudsters and charlatans. Check out James Randi and his one million dollar challenge if you still feel drawn to the allure of the 'supernatural'.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It's illogical to think Ghosts do not EXIST. Think about it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Why would I feel the need to have an explanation for unexplained phenomena? At my age? I loved all that stuff when I was a teenager (the occult; Borley Rectory; Aliester Crowley; Erich von Däniken; Uri Geller). Later I grew up. The natural world is hard enough to explain without worrying about illusionism, pranksters, fraudsters and charlatans. Check out James Randi and his one million dollar challenge if you still feel drawn to the allure of the 'supernatural'.

EVP's have nothing to do with illusionism, pranksters, fraudsters and charlatans.

It's a simply recording evidence for analysis of unexplained phenomena. To attempt to explain such phenomena.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
I abosolutely LOVE paranormal shit, I spend hours at work listening to bizarre podcasts about all that stuff, it makes the world colourful and some of the characters they have as guests are either fascinating or straight amusement. Having said that, as someone who has spent plenty of time also doing music production I can safely say that EVPs are absolute guff on a level with orbs.

There are so many explanations it's hard to know where to begin really, but noise floors on handheld recorders, cross modulation, ground loops, crappy inbuilt noise cancelling software on said recorders, mic sensitivity levels..... I could knock you up an EVP in whatever sitation you want if I wanted to using any of my field mics. Technical stuff aside, our brains top it all off by making patterns out of nonsense and believing what we want to believe or expect to hear.

I've had an "experience" though, went to pluckly with some mates about 10 years back to camp in the woods. I saw something I've struggled to reason with myself with, I dunno what it was, but the juries still out for me on ghosts. The kid in me would love to see something concrete.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
They're a conspiracy probably

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
As soon as EvD is mentioned, I always lose any sense of belief in anything he's talking about.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
As sceptics point out, billions of people now walk around with a camera in their pocket with millions of videos and pictures being taken every day and there is not one credible image. What it does tell us though in my opinion is the power of the human psyche in terms of what it can conjure up at times of anxiety, stress and grief.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Assume so. If we have a few poor results it won't be long before someone starts talking about the 'spectre of relegation'. I'd like to think relegation doesn't exist, or that there's no need to be scared of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here