Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

France and Speedos?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Slip de bain :lol: this one used to crack me up when I was living over there. You could wear swimming shots ala Daniel Craig but the 'Bermuda' style super baggy shorts were a non non.

Logic being you might wear your baggy swim shorts as normal shorts to the pool. If you do they could get dirty. No man is going to wander around town wearing his budgie smugglers, so when you go swimming, they will be clean. Helps to keep the pool clean.

Is the correct answer.

I understand it is ok in the UK as your summer only lasts every third Wednesday afternoon in July. However, over here it is common to sunshine on several days consecutively and long shorts ( I only have little legs,so they come down to my ankles ) does attract dust....( called mud in the rainy UK ).

Lots of people living here have their own pool so is not an issue....neither is at the beach.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Funnily enough the chance to don this magnificent item of swimwear was the very reason that i chose to go to France:whistle:

I wear Speedos most of the time. Practical and they look good. Trunks are good as well. Board shorts just look plain daft imho. I pop on my aviators, add a canvas tote (and depending on how much running I've been doing suck my stomach in) to complete the look.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I wear Speedos most of the time. Practical and they look good. Trunks are good as well. Board shorts just look plain daft imho. I pop on my aviators, add a canvas tote (and depending on how much running I've been doing suck my stomach in) to complete the look.

Which is all well and good, but holding your stomach in for a whole day???

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
Is the correct answer.

I understand it is ok in the UK as your summer only lasts every third Wednesday afternoon in July. However, over here it is common to sunshine on several days consecutively and long shorts ( I only have little legs,so they come down to my ankles ) does attract dust....( called mud in the rainy UK ).

Lots of people living here have their own pool so is not an issue....neither is at the beach.

Ahhhh...you may be able to solve my problem then. I'm bald as a coot up top, so if I promise not to go anywhere near a beach with sand in said beach shorts and shave off all my pubes, you will let me use your pool! Thanks xxx

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's not just long baggy shorts that are a no-no. I wore a pair of trunk-sized shorts (ie covered by groin area but not the legs) and was told that they were unacceptable. I have a pair of budgie smugglers that are solely for France now.

Some French pools insist you wear a cap too. It's hard to go swimming there

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
11da8386405e2d3e0fbb5f9899d3ed34.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Ahhhh...you may be able to solve my problem then. I'm bald as a coot up top, so if I promise not to go anywhere near a beach with sand in said beach shorts and shave off all my pubes, you will let me use your pool! Thanks xxx

You are more than welcome to use my pool.

It is only 3 feet in diameter and has a slow puncture. However, I have carried out full Health and Safety Risk Assessment and never have it deeper than 3 inches of water.

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
You are more than welcome to use my pool.

It is only 3 feet in diameter and has a slow puncture. However, I have carried out full Health and Safety Risk Assessment and never have it deeper than 3 inches of water.

Merci !

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
In my experience the only people who don't like wearing speedo's are those who are self conscious of the size of their penis and those who actually have a small penis.

All depends in which boat you sit really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here