Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I accept that you don't think that a splintering of the Conservative and Labour parties and the creation of a new centre movement to disturb the cozy consensus is very likely - the odds are indeed against it, although perhaps shortening a little - but the fact that you wouldn't find it INTERESTING is surprising.

(What I do find interesting is that fact that, ignoring the New Labour years - which most activists like to do - the Labour Party haven't had a half-decent majority for 50 years and the Tories haven't had one for 30 years. This year's election wasn't a great one for smaller parties but the circumstances were exceptional and the tide of history may be moving against the behemoths. I hope so, even if you find the prospect boring.)

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I accept that you don't think that a splintering of the Conservative and Labour parties and the creation of a new centre movement to disturb the cozy consensus is very likely - the odds are indeed against it, although perhaps shortening a little - but the fact that you wouldn't find it INTERESTING is surprising.

(What I do find interesting is that fact that, ignoring the New Labour years - which most activists like to do - the Labour Party haven't had a half-decent majority for 50 years and the Tories haven't had one for 30 years. This year's election wasn't a great one for smaller parties but the circumstances were exceptional and the tide of history may be moving against the behemoths. I hope so, even if you find the prospect boring.)

Thanks for that. I was under the impression 5ways found it interesting that Europe could cause huge divisions and splits in our main parties when he wrote "Interesting that Europe is capable of tearing apart both Labour and the Tories" ... which is hardly news and certainly not interesting.

A realignment in pro/anti democratic forces would be interesting though .. but it ain't going to happen.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Thanks for that. I was under the impression 5ways found it interesting that Europe could cause huge divisions and splits in our main parties when he wrote "Interesting that Europe is capable of tearing apart both Labour and the Tories" ... which is hardly news and certainly not interesting.

A realignment in pro/anti democratic forces would be interesting though .. but it ain't going to happen.

Interesting is perhaps a bad word but I do wish remain Labourites would wake up to the fact that Corbo has always been a leaver.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

I have been saying for a few years that the western form of democratic capitalism has had its day the world economic crash was the start, the world has tried to rally and have had some success in stabilising things but generally the world as we know it is in decline the turn toward extreams Trump, Brexit, far right, far left is all are all signs of the desperation people feel.
Now this sounds like imminent doom it's not and I suspect will have a few hundred years to fully run but we can still make some choices to help slow things voting Brexit was not I fear one of them

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
As bad as that awful woman who promised grammar schools and a fox hunting vote?

Foxes are vermin not cuddly toys. Grammar schools are places you could've only dreamt of. So because some are not clever enough no-one should have a higher education. No wonder Universities expanded 'media' and 'social studies' degrees exponentially as the under achievers could then attend (for the debt money) that Corbyn cynically exploited. Phhhfffft! is the right expression.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Foxes are vermin not cuddly toys. Grammar schools are places you could've only dreamt of. So because some are not clever enough no-one should have a higher education. No wonder Universities expanded 'media' and 'social studies' degrees exponentially as the under achievers could then attend (for the debt money) that Corbyn cynically exploited. Phhhfffft! is the right expression.
You miss the point. I wasn't defending or attacking fox hunting or grammar schools. I was referring to the fact that May promised action on both and delivered on neither. If Corbyn deserves a phhhfffft then she does too. Daily Mail or no Daily Mail.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
I expect the number of stories like this to increase every week. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...eigh-moving-350-billion-to-frankfurt-j5i8g8i5

Obviously we were told this wouldn't happen. I suspect it will start now as some businesses who previously assumed we would cancel this shitstorm are now thinking that we have a leader against leaving who will lead us out and an opposition leader who people don't understand is as anti EU as Peter bone and farage. Bizarre really.

I'm not sure that losing that basket case of a bank is too much to worry about (unless you are Chineese or Qatari): http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/27/news/companies/deutsche-bank-profit-slump/index.html?iid=EL

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...0665e0-a11e-11e6-a44d-cc2898cfab06_story.html

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

D

Deleted member 22389

I don't think a nation with such a perilous economy can afford to lose a sweet shop let alone a bank of the magnitude of DB.

We are a big market for BMW, Volkswagon, Audi last thing they need is their own government to start pissing around over trade deals.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
We are a big market for BMW, Volkswagon, Audi last thing they need is their own government to start pissing around over trade deals.

Have you missed the big German car companies saying the single market is more important than the U.K.? This once again comes back to the fact that although the trade deficit exists we are but a small slice of cake for their exports while they are almost half of ours.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I expect the number of stories like this to increase every week. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...eigh-moving-350-billion-to-frankfurt-j5i8g8i5

Obviously we were told this wouldn't happen. I suspect it will start now as some businesses who previously assumed we would cancel this shitstorm are now thinking that we have a leader against leaving who will lead us out and an opposition leader who people don't understand is as anti EU as Peter bone and farage. Bizarre really.

it is bizarre - only a few month ago Deutsche Bank took on new office lease in London. so either they have expanded operations to close them down at considerable cost, or theres less to that story than mets the eye. it notes movement of several hundred staff, when they have several thousand in the UK.

and while the German car manufacturers may say the single market is more important than one market, it would be a nervous/brave company executive if they lost 10% of their sales, it would hit their bottom line considerably, and negative effect on market share they spent so much time and money building up (VAG in particular love the UK market and are predilection to buying credit)

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

Have you missed the big German car companies saying the single market is more important than the U.K.? This once again comes back to the fact that although the trade deficit exists we are but a small slice of cake for their exports while they are almost half of ours.

No what matters to the German car manufacturers is we get a deal, single market or not, so that their cars don't become more expensive for us to buy, and they keep selling in the same numbers they do now. They want to sell to us and they couldn't give a monkeys if we are in the EU are not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here