the radio phone-in

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Theres some old bastard on the radio calling dick knight 'another bellotti' and that we should have sold zamora when everton offered. He sounded like a dick.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Once again, I could only manage to listen to the first 3 callers.

Grim is not the word. Bring back Mary!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
garry nelsons left foot said:
Theres some old bastard on the radio calling dick knight 'another bellotti' and that we should have sold zamora when everton offered. He sounded like a dick.

FG is probably older than you think? ???

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Why don't they do the phone in later at 6pm. I've just got back from the game and my neighbour said the phone in sounded like an old people's convention. He said the average age of the callers must have been about 100, and hardly anyone commented on the game. I know there are other football issues but this sounds like deja-vu.

Last season I got fed up with listening to Lesley or whoever it was phoning in each week, telling us all how much she loves Johnny Byrne. No match analysis, considered opinion, nothing. Maybe that's because the lights are on but nobody's home.

Harty - do the round-up between 5 and 6, and then do the phone in from 6 to 7, by which time most people attending a home game have got back, and can then give some views on the day's action.

Rant over.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It is up to the fans who travel to ring up. If you ring on your mobile they do ring you back so the cost is minimal.

I rang after the Wolves game last year and got on the air - talking about the game.

Today I went to the pub instead to cool off :drink:

Sitting Room Only

Jul 5, 2003
Somewhere off the M1
The Phone in is an absolute joke. Random old people phoning up like its the gardening programme or something.

Also listening to steve coppell's post match comments you'd think we'd just been relegated - Don't get me wrong he's definatley the man for the job but the guys's got no personality

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Give me SC with his dour attitude and dry humour over Hinshelwood's siege mentality and stroppy attitude anyday.

Can't Harty get someone to screen the callers better. "I never go to games, but I love listening to your programme" is not what we want to hear :nono:

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Callers are screened to a point but as it was the first show of the season it was always going to be slow, the 'Gay Pride Council' sub topic was designed to stoke people up and to fair it looking at caller numbers to a point it worked.
As always there was the 5.40 rush which always seems to happen but once listeners get back into the swing of things that situation might change. As for changing the time its not possible its took 4 years badgering to get a post match phone-in the 5 till 5.50 slot is the only one available.
For away games the big thing is for a number of the travelling support to get on and have their say, I think three got to air yesterday and I know that on away games some priority is given to callers who have been to the games, but its still right and proper to have people who don't make it to games, Albion average around the 6,500 mark at the last lot of official listening figures the phone-in was getting over 25,000 listeners.
There is a phone-in after the Rovers game on Tues as always the number is 08459 570057 lines open at 9.30pm, subject to extra time and penalties.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports