Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your First Experience of the Albion

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
It's amazing what influence a football club (our Albion) can have on our lives.

How very true. My first Albion game was at Bournemouth away Dec 1969, 0-0. I will always remember it because the programme match title literally took up the whole cover "Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic Football Club versus Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club"! I was only 11 but I can still vividly recall Albion's Alex Dawson having a shot that hit the left post, rolled along the goal line, hit the right post and bounced out! I was instantly hooked and have been drawn to Sussex ever since.

I still have the Albion scrapbooks I made up in the 60s and 70s with newspaper cuttings and my own handwritten score sheets, league tables, scorers etc. As a north Londoner surrounded by Spurs and Arsenal fans I was considered by my schoolmates to be somewhat strange in voluntarily supporting a (then) lowly third division club. I often get quite wistful when at the Amex, seeing how far we've come, what an incredible set up we now have in all departments, and reflecting on other clubs less fortunate than ourselves who've slipped down the ladder and who will probably never have the chance to experience at their clubs the enjoyment we routinely receive from ours.

I indoctrinated my son, then 6, in the "Albion way" by dragging him to the Goldstone in Oct 1994 to watch a turgid 1-1 draw with Rotherham. He too was hooked and like me is now a STH. Albion is our shared passion and has been - and will always be - a huge part of our lives.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
You should see my spreadsheet! Uwe's goal last night was the 1058th I've seen...

Dedication, obsession or insanity? You decide!

Good grief. Probably a combination of all 3!

I have to admit I have spreadsheets for all sorts of things but that is truly impressive...........or totally mad:lol:

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
1971, a 0-2 home defeat to Halifax. The daughter of my parents' friends took me. I was seven years old and hooked.

This very game which miraculously is on YouTube - or at least the "highlights" are - Ward even scored. You may be able to spot me on the terraces below the West Stand, near the SW corner. Look for a tallish chap with two slightly shorter friends who got me into the habit. Glad to say that both are still attending games, one with younger son and me with youngest daughter.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
1976 League cup V Derby County.

Peter Ward scored after 38 seconds

Over 30 thousand.

Immediately hooked

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
4-1 home defeat to Liverpool in 1979. Absolutely loved it and that was it - Brighton were my team.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I don't remember what the first game was or the date, wish I could. It was either 1984 or 1985, league game. I was only 8 years old but I remember some things like travelling to the game in a Ford Capri, classic car. Carrying my stool to the match (it had a blue and white weave on top) the lush green Goldstone turf, chain smoker older fans on the East terrace things like that. Rude songs from the North stand. I remember getting into trouble because I went home and was dribbling a football round the house singing that the referee is a wanker. No idea that was a rude word

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Autumn 1977 v Hull City. My older cousin took me to the west terrace. A goal down and Wardy scored, place went potty and my cousin said something like 'doesn't happen very often' - except that a minute later he scored again and the place went pottier.

What I can't really believe is that by the end of the season (the Blackpool game) I was going with my mates from school or on my own. I was only 12! What was my mum thinking of??

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My first Albion experience was a home game v Swindon in 1976...

That was my first game too! 4-0. Went alone as a 13-year old in the North Stand. Learned pretty quickly to stand immediately in front of a barrier, not behind it. Stood in the same place ever after - about half way up, just to the left of the goal as seen from the stand.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
That was my first game too! 4-0. Went alone as a 13-year old in the North Stand. Learned pretty quickly to stand immediately in front of a barrier, not behind it. Stood in the same place ever after - about half way up, just to the left of the goal as seen from the stand.

I was only 10 then, but still an addict :thumbsup:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I wish I could remember if my first game was the 66/67 season or the 67/68 season. It bugs me. i can't remember my first game.................I've even thought about hypnotherapy.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
My first experience was at the Goldstone in October 1983 and we were playing Portsmouth. I was standing at the northern end of the east terrace, down the front, don't know why or how I ended up there as it was the one and only time I ever stood on that side. Portsmouth fans were allocated the whole north stand, I don't know why that was either, maybe someone can enlighten me? I can't remember anything of the game as it was lively enough off the pitch. I remember dodging wave after wave of bottles and coins coming from the direction of the Pompey fans, and watching them trying to climb over the fencing like wild animals, they didn't succeed though. From that day on I was hooked. 👍

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
My first season that I can remember finished with this game. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
We all know how this season finished.
Look at the cost for season tickets and trains and the crowd size for the fourth division.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Does anyone remember the score and crowd.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    758 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Mine was Peter Ward! 1-1 v Watford, Jan 1st 1983.

I've just found that game on Youtube too, blimey, very exciting. Suffice to say, nothing I've just watched jogs any memories. Age. Memory. Where's the nurse?

Good lord, I'm absolutely certain that was mine too!!! Although didn't turn out to be a regular until about '86...

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
My first season that I can remember finished with this game.View attachment 83667View attachment 83668View attachment 83669View attachment 83670
We all know how this season finished.
Look at the cost for season tickets and trains and the crowd size for the fourth division.

A lot of opposition fans don't realise that historically we've had very large crowds for the Division we were playing in.

Their arguments centre around Withdean/Amex and how we've managed to grow from one to the other.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Fifty years ago next Wednesday. April 12 1967; we lost 1-0 to Torquay United. After that, things could only get better, which they did, then they got worse, and then they got better. Repeat ad infinitum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here