Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old Trafford evacuated MATCH ABANDONED

Wait- you think they blow suspect packages up without any sort of evacuation?

Close your eyes, folks, this might sting a bit, sort of thing?

I remember the local bomb squad delivering a suspect package to the field outside our office in Lewes. I'm not sure where it had been left originally, but we all stood behind the windows while the thing was blown up by a small team of experts. The bang was nowhere near as loud as what we hear routinely on the fifth of November in Lewes.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I remember the local bomb squad delivering a suspect package to the field outside our office in Lewes. I'm not sure where it had been left originally, but we all stood behind the windows while the thing was blown up by a small team of experts. The bang was nowhere near as loud as what we hear routinely on the fifth of November in Lewes.

Of course it doesn't, but you're still not going to want to have thousands of people sitting within feet of it, just in case something goes wrong.

They also have to think about the possibility of secondary devices (Ernest has alluded to this, albeit in terms that suggest they he thought wouldn't have already considered that...), if it were to turn out to be some sort of IED.

Of course it doesn't, but you're still not going to want to have thousands of people sitting within feet of it, just in case something goes wrong.

They also have to think about the possibility of secondary devices (Ernest has alluded to this, albeit in terms that suggest they he thought wouldn't have already considered that...), if it were to turn out to be some sort of IED.

I do remember somebody questioning why they chose to blow the thing up outside the County Council's offices, when the Police Headquarters were just up the road.

:)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I do remember somebody questioning why they chose to blow the thing up outside the County Council's offices, when the Police Headquarters were just up the road.

:)

Seems fair :)

I recall some genius leaving a suitcase outside Brighton Station on the morning of the London bombings. Needless to say, EOD were a tad busy that day, and it took them hours to arrive. They blew it up in the street, but not after half of Brighton was shut off for several hours.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Talks of IRA given intelligence this week raised the terror threat from them.

Also confirmed as pipe bomb and mobile phone strapped to a gas pipe.

Not gokd

Kosmonaut

Proud Hoveonian
Feb 10, 2013
Hove
Wait- you think they blow suspect packages up without any sort of evacuation?

Close your eyes, folks, this might sting a bit, sort of thing?

No, they get a bomb disposal group in, remove the package and do the 'controlled demolition' somewhere safe. I remember it happening at a train station a few years ago, they didn't abandon the whole place. Maybe evacuated for 10 - 30 minutes max.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No, they get a bomb disposal group in, remove the package and do the 'controlled demolition' somewhere safe. I remember it happening at a train station a few years ago, they didn't abandon the whole place. Maybe evacuated for 10 - 30 minutes max.
I imagine they would want to scour every inch of the ground for any others. It'll take hours.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I'd imagine that this is only possible for some type of package. In this case, if rumours are to be believed, it was a phone strapped, and wired to, a gas pipe. This obviously cannot just be removed, and as always it's safety first.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7424504 said:
I'd imagine that this is only possible for some type of package. In this case, if rumours are to be believed, it was a phone strapped, and wired to, a gas pipe. This obviously cannot just be removed, and as always it's safety first.

This was retweeted. I don't follow Collymore

[tweet]731863245011714048[/tweet]

[tweet]731910601656664064[/tweet]

D

Deleted User X18H

Lot of travel agents being rung by Rooney etc at the moment cancelling flights tomorrow to Dubai, Vegas etc

He doesn't fancy the Football Association Challenge Cup Final then ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Lot of travel agents being rung by Rooney etc at the moment cancelling flights tomorrow to Dubai, Vegas etc

Certainly would be the case (if they were not in the FA Cup final, next Saturday)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I suppose if league positions couldn't now change regardless of result then perhaps everyone would be happy with a 'pools panel' draw rather than have to play the game.

As it is, the game will have to be played at some point. United having an FA Cup final to play makes it a bit more awkward to fit in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here