Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Anyone left on here who still thinks

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
We don't score goals so not sure why anyone would think we can survive without additions.Without doubt we need a decent striker.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
6 of the 11 were away games, 3 of those 6 were against top 6 sides, the 5 home fixtures included tough games against Liverpool, Burnley, Palace and plucky Bournemouth who turned over Arsenal.

The table doesn't lie we have averaged a point a game, every game is tough at this level.

A slight improvement on this will see us safe. :shrug:

Unfortunately playing away games and games vs top 6 sides comes with the territory. In our next 15 we have to play 6 times against top 6 and of the remaining 9 games 5 are away. Doesn't leave much to play with!

Not wishing to be sarcastic but our early season results flattered to deceive and we got the likes of West Ham, Swansea and WBA at the right time. I cant see any argument to support us going on to get 1ppg from here

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I have to chuckle when people say we will stay up, by skin of our teeth last game of season. Where are we again?....oh yeah Anfield...If we ain't 4/5 points clear of safety with 2 games to go. We are relying on others losing.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yes, I don't see why not, this team has been good enough to get 23 points from 23 games, and staying up by 1 point is still staying up. I've seen enough of our performances to know that we are perfectly capable of competing with almost all teams in this league, and there is no reason why that can't continue. Away games are ALWAYS hard in any division, especially this one

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Not sure about 2 games ... can't see us getting a point in the last 5

I reckon we need another 14 pts. Swansea and Huddersfield at Home are must wins. But unless Hughton changes his approach to away games and we sign a proven striker. I can't see us getting anywhere near 10pts. We already played WBA, Bournemouth, Watford and Newcastle twice. All the big tests still lay ahead. We are dropping like a stone. Where are we going to pick up these points. Because we can't score a goal away from home.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Unfortunately playing away games and games vs top 6 sides comes with the territory. In our next 15 we have to play 6 times against top 6 and of the remaining 9 games 5 are away. Doesn't leave much to play with!

Not wishing to be sarcastic but our early season results flattered to deceive and we got the likes of West Ham, Swansea and WBA at the right time. I cant see any argument to support us going on to get 1ppg from here

I get what your saying and our recent form is poor, we all know that the key games are West Ham, Swansea, Leicester, Huddersfield, 12 pts is vital from these games.

If we fail to beat all four we are probably condemned to the Championship. Relying on three other teams to underperform might be our next desperate hope for survival. :smile:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Before we even get to the Swansea "must win" we need 7 points from Chelsea, Southampton, West Ham and Stoke.

Tough ask, with Chelsea and Stoke looking like zero pointers.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I get what your saying and our recent form is poor, we all know that the key games are West Ham, Swansea, Leicester, Huddersfield, 12 pts is vital from these games.

If we fail to beat all four we are probably condemned to the Championship. Relying on three other teams to underperform might be our next desperate hope for survival. :smile:

Agree totally ... we really do need 12 points from those 4 but the odds you'd get on that would illustrate just how unlikely it is

Anyway I do think we need additions although I'm not sure we'll get them (January notoriously tough and all that). In the meantime CH has to make changes to our set up and style ... we may just have a chance but I'm in the camp that we've probably missed the boat

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
No. Creative midfielder and a decent striker or we're goosed imo

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Some interesting thoughts on this thread

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Before the season got going, plenty of us thought that goal scoring would be a problem and so it has proved.
When we had our good spell, I was encouraged that if we didn't look like being relegated,we had a reasonable chance of improving the squad in January. Sadly, relegation is a distinct possibility and it would be a brave soul who joined us on a permanent basis, if they are hoping for PL football.
My guess is loans of some sort and I have to say,if I had to have a bet,I would say we will be relegated.
Obviously I hope not, but at the moment it looks like we are sleepwalking into the Championship.

On a historical note, we appear to be doing the exact opposite to our first season in the old 1st Division, back in 1979. Then ,we were in deep shite until Peter Suddaby joined us and we beat Notts Forest away and never looked back................mind you, we did have a chap called Peter Ward who could score a goal or two. Now we started off well enough and have gone backwards.
What a shame if all the hard work in getting to the PL is pi---d up the wall so quickly.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I still don’t know why CH won’t play 3 centre backs , will makes us stronger , and gives us more chance to defend corners and free kicks , plus it will push our midfield higher up the pitch , which should make us more attacking

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Surprised at the optimism of so many when you look at our record over the last 11 games, good for you but I have no idea where this optimism is coming from. We seem to be going backwards at pace and I can’t see the foundation for this optimism.

Although find a way to beat Chelsea or even scrape a draw and it may all turn around :shrug:

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Hard to believe that less than two months ago, Jose Moaninho was saying that we were the best Premier League team Man Utd had played this season.

Now the same team seems to have gone to pieces, and I can't see where our next win is going to come from unless we sign a couple of quality players (easier said than done - and I don't think we're going to) in the next fortnight, or CH changes tactics.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Whether we stay up or not will be more down to Hughton's tactics than the players at his disposal, in my opinion. This set of players got us into the top 10. We've seen evidence they are good enough to keep us up.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Whether we stay up or not will be more down to Hughton's tactics than the players at his disposal, in my opinion. This set of players got us into the top 10. We've seen evidence they are good enough to keep us up.

I love the way so many are blaming CH’s tactics which worked so well and drew so much praise earlier in the season. Now our defenders can’t defend set pieces having been brilliant at it initially we suddenly have the wrong tactics,

The tactics are dull and negative but they work, as we have seen, if you don’t defend like a park team.

We don’t have the players to play on the offensive in most games, without getting a good thrashing, although it seems to be the way forward according to so many on here :shrug:

Not a dig at you Mellotron it was just your post I quoted, plenty of others feel like you clearly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here