Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley friendly

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Good question. His wiki page list him at 6ft and 1/2 inch and also at 180 cm. Now 180 cm is 5ft 11in. Looking at him today there is no way he is over 6ft so i am going with 5ft 11in. You would have to be an incredibly good keeper at that height.
Keepers famously never put their official height as lower than 6ft. 5' 11 sounds about right.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8032519 said:
I've translated it in to Spanish, to Icelandic, to Zulu, to Romanian and back to English. Still makes about as much sense.

'a recent Salvador heart surgery'

Much better than the apostrophe abuse in the original exercise book entry.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We had a discussion at the match on his height, someone said he's 6ft ???
When he was actually standing on the goal line, there was definitely plenty of space between the crossbar and the top of his head.

If only he had arms he could raise above his head or the ability to jump with his arms up. You never know but a jump of around 9 inches would see him touching the crossbar.
He may even have the ability to understand angles and positioning as well given he is an international.

What next Dunk and Duffy are too tall to defend against those pesky short strikers.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If only he had arms he could raise above his head or the ability to jump with his arms up. You never know but a jump of around 9 inches would see him touching the crossbar.
He may even have the ability to understand angles and positioning as well given he is an international.

What next Dunk and Duffy are too tall to defend against those pesky short strikers.

Ok mate, it was only a chat for a few minutes about the goalkeepers height, no big deal.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
From those who were there, how did our new signings look? (Apart from Ryan)

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Sat by the away dugout. Medics were checking with Sidwell in second half .
At end of game he was holding his left groin and shaking head..

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Solly's performance was the highlight. Hemed was notably poor.

The changed team in the second half struggled to control the game at times.

Much tougher tests to come.

Matt Ryan certainly wasn't tested.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
From those who were there, how did our new signings look? (Apart from Ryan)

Gross looks an excellent player all round. Suttner good going forward, very good left foot, link-up with Murphy needs some work.

Ryan very good with his feet just without feigns, shimmys and keepy uppys, but I feel like we should return to sender due to the fact our recruitment team have obviously forgotten to check how tall he is.

Solly the pick of the lot, Hemed the most disappointing though Muzza ran him close. Towell needs a loan and 30 odd Champ/L1 games to judge, he just doesn't seem to make his mark on any game I've seen him play for us.

Altogether pleased with the run-out.

Last edited:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Gross looks an excellent player all round. Suttner good going forward, very good left foot, link-up with Murphy needs some work.

Ryan very good with his feet just without feigns, shimmys and keepy uppys, but I feel like we should return to sender due to the fact our recruitment team have obviously forgotten to check how tall he is.

Solly the pick of the lot, Hemed the most disappointing though Muzza ran him close. Towell needs a loan and 30 odd Champ/L1 games to judge, he just doesn't seem to make his mark on any game I've seen him play for us.

I actually thought Towell had a very good half. Looked at home on the ball but I agree if he's not going to challenge for a place give him a good loan and judge then. Clearly the club have seen something they like too.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
2) Jorge Campos (Height: 1.68 m or 5 ft 6 in)

No short goalkeeper has made an impact in the world of football like Jorge Campos. He is mostly remembered for his colorful playing attire, acrobatic style of goalkeeping, and his constant play outside the penalty area. He was able to make up for his lack of height by capitalizing on his main strengths which were his leaping ability, athleticism, and speed.

He was an extremely versatile player and was able to play as a striker as well.

Campos started his career in 1988 in Mexico with Pumas. With time, he earned the position of first-choice goalkeeper and won the 1990–1991 championship with Pumas.

Campos also won the championship with Cruz Azul in the Primera División de México Invierno 1997 (México First Division Winter 1997).

Jorge continued his career in the United States, where he starred in Major League Soccer's first three seasons for the Los Angeles Galaxy and Chicago Fire. He won the MLS Cup with Chicago fire in 1998 and also won the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with the same team in the same year.

Jorge excelled on the international stage as well winning the FIFA Confederations Cup with Mexico in 1999 and the CONCACAF Gold Cup twice in 1993 and 1996. He also started as goalkeeper for Mexico in two FIFA World Cup tournaments: 1994 and 1998. He would eventually collect 130 caps.

He was widely considered as one of the best goalkeepers of his generation.

Attachments

• campos1.jpg
    campos1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 377

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
2) Jorge Campos (Height: 1.68 m or 5 ft 6 in)

No short goalkeeper has made an impact in the world of football like Jorge Campos. He is mostly remembered for his colorful playing attire, acrobatic style of goalkeeping, and his constant play outside the penalty area. He was able to make up for his lack of height by capitalizing on his main strengths which were his leaping ability, athleticism, and speed.

He was an extremely versatile player and was able to play as a striker as well.

Campos started his career in 1988 in Mexico with Pumas. With time, he earned the position of first-choice goalkeeper and won the 1990–1991 championship with Pumas.

Campos also won the championship with Cruz Azul in the Primera División de México Invierno 1997 (México First Division Winter 1997).

Jorge continued his career in the United States, where he starred in Major League Soccer's first three seasons for the Los Angeles Galaxy and Chicago Fire. He won the MLS Cup with Chicago fire in 1998 and also won the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with the same team in the same year.

Jorge excelled on the international stage as well winning the FIFA Confederations Cup with Mexico in 1999 and the CONCACAF Gold Cup twice in 1993 and 1996. He also started as goalkeeper for Mexico in two FIFA World Cup tournaments: 1994 and 1998. He would eventually collect 130 caps.

He was widely considered as one of the best goalkeepers of his generation.

I was just about to mention Campos.

Nice work Sir.

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
Jeez some of you blokes need to give yourselves an uppercut...

Ryan has been playing professional football and being voted keeper of the year nearly every year since he was 17. Why do you think the club broke the bank for him?

The guy is an amazing keeper and approx. six foot. Six foot is plenty tall enough for a bloke who has exceptional positioning and agility. Very, VERY brave also. Always commands his box in a way many taller keepers never do.

Just relax FFS.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Jeez some of you blokes need to give yourselves an uppercut...

Ryan has been playing professional football and being voted keeper of the year nearly every year since he was 17. Why do you think the club broke the bank for him?

The guy is an amazing keeper and approx. six foot. Six foot is plenty tall enough for a bloke who has exceptional positioning and agility. Very, VERY brave also. Always commands his box in a way many taller keepers never do.

Just relax FFS.

Our last keeper was overweight but he excelled, no reason why an athletic fit keeper who is a little short shouldn't do exactly the same. Stockdale looked like a Sunday League keeper so maybe a pattern is emerging :smile:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Our last keeper was overweight but he excelled no reason why an athletic fit keeper who is a little short shouldn't do exactly the same. Stockdale looked like a Sunday League keeper.

Chuckle... he did.

I always thought he looked like someone who 'worked' the cheese counter a bit too hard in his day job at Asda.

'Appen lad.

Not Wensleydale for tea again dad :(

Listen lad, you'll bloody eat it or I'll give yer a clip round yer ear hole!

Some good cheese farms in the midlands too... hmmmmmmm I wonder...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here