Votes: 10 2.9%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I wasn't sure you had WhatsApp!

I don't know how [MENTION=357]afters[/MENTION] (and [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION], one of the others to WhatsApp me) knew I did. To be honest, I didn't know I did.

So, there must be some sort of discoverability thing going on for those two esteemed chaps to suddenly WhatsApp me out of the blue recently.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't know how [MENTION=357]afters[/MENTION] (and [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION], one of the others to WhatsApp me) knew I did. To be honest, I didn't know I did.

So, there must be some sort of discoverability thing going on for those two esteemed chaps to suddenly WhatsApp me out of the blue recently.

I find it useful when abroad, as messaging is free. A few of my friends have not seen the error of their ways and still don't have iPhones, so it is useful as free for sending messages cross platform.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto

All you need is a person's phone number, then they'll show up in WhatsApp.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

So why after years of FB Messenger and iMessages from you did you send me a WhatsApp thingummy recently? That's what I'm not getting. I have probably had WhatsApp installed for years, just never used that I could recall.

I feel like Bens Grandad here.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
So why after years of FB Messenger and iMessages from you did you send me a WhatsApp thingummy recently? That's what I'm not getting. I have probably had WhatsApp installed for years, just never used that I could recall.

I feel like Bens Grandad here.

cos you were in my whatsapp contacts, i assumed you used it. maybe you'd always been there, maybe it had recently "discovered" you (probs the latter)

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
But how many of you know about Whatsapp Web...? If you don't, kiss goodbye to your working day...

Also all the stuff you can do to make text bold etc. I've had to show a few people this.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
You can also turn off the blue ticks for others to know when you have read their message. This also hides when you were last online.
This can be set up in the settings section.
I use WhatsApp daily for many different contacts and groups.
It's great

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Only downside was that my boss set up a WhatsApp "group" for every one to be in the loop on work... All the boring, crap like " OK team, let's try to push sales of... " had about 30-50 messages a day of mind numbing drivel...took me 3 days before I found how to leave the group... Marvellous scenes.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Hardly any of my friends have iPhones now after using them for years (android for me for about 5 years) and Whatsapp is great as its cross platform. Those saying iMessage need to switch over - why be held to Apple when you have have something much more open (or maybe I have answered myself there as people with Apple products seem to love the closed lack of open source)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hardly any of my friends have iPhones now after using them for years (android for me for about 5 years) and Whatsapp is great as its cross platform. Those saying iMessage need to switch over - why be held to Apple when you have have something much more open (or maybe I have answered myself there as people with Apple products seem to love the closed lack of open source)

What has open source got to do with it? WhatsApp is a proprietary platform owned by Facebook.

With WhatsApp you are beholden to Facebook and Zuckerburg and you are the product being sold (to advertisers). If you are a Facebook user, your WhatsApp activity will help determine targeting of adverts (yes the messages are encrypted, as they are in iMessage, but there is still much FB can determine about you).

Whether you are a FB user or not, ads will be coming to WhatsApp in the near future, just as they are being rolled out to Facebook Messenger.

I don't NEED to switch over. I imagine that I've gone so long without using WhatsApp indicates that it's far from vital to my online existence. Bar a few people I can think of, nearly everyone I communicate with regularly has an iPhone where iMessage permits secure messaging, groups, photos and videos to be shared free of network cost.

I do get that WhatsApp came into its own as it allows cross-platform messaging including network-free sharing of media, but that doesn't seem to be something I need.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What has open source got to do with it? WhatsApp is a proprietary platform owned by Facebook.

With WhatsApp you are beholden to Facebook and Zuckerburg and you are the product being sold (to advertisers). If you are a Facebook user, your WhatsApp activity will help determine targeting of adverts (yes the messages are encrypted, as they are in iMessage, but there is still much FB can determine about you).

Whether you are a FB user or not, ads will be coming to WhatsApp in the near future, just as they are being rolled out to Facebook Messenger.

I don't NEED to switch over. I imagine that I've gone so long without using WhatsApp indicates that it's far from vital to my online existence. Bar a few people I can think of, nearly everyone I communicate with regularly has an iPhone where iMessage permits secure messaging, groups, photos and videos to be shared free of network cost.

I do get that WhatsApp came into its own as it allows cross-platform messaging including network-free sharing of media, but that doesn't seem to be something I need.
Stick with your Appley thing and don't bother disseminating then.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Get with the programme iGrandad. 😂

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I can't believe some people don't use it. For pics and videos it is an absolute gem of an app.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can't believe some people don't use it. For pics and videos it is an absolute gem of an app.

Everyone I need to share pics and videos with has an iPhone. I do it via iMessage for no cost. That's why.

I'm clearly a freak (or more of a freak than I already knew myself to be).

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Everyone I need to share pics and videos with has an iPhone. I do it via iMessage for no cost. That's why.

Yep I am an Apple geek too but I didn't realise iMessage sends pics and videos outside of your data plan admittedly. Still, I don't always know what phone people have in my contacts list so if see them on whatsapp then I'll use that by default!!

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

I was really saying it tongue in cheek given the old iPhone v Android wars. That said I do find Whatsapp very useful

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

I still use iMessage now and then, but even my mates with iphones use WhatsApp.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here