Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you say no to Brighton beggars?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am a lovely person to be around, I just have no time for beggars or Crystal Palace fans.

Fair play for the apology.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
I'm not so much into craft beers but had a couple of pints of an excellent lager yesterday -Tempest http://www.tempestbrewco.com

At this place (food was very good too)

http://www.ox184.co.uk

Thanks for the plug [MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION]!

Tempest are a great brewery - very 'craft' with some pretty extreme beers, but also some more mainstream as well. OX184 is a great venue too - in fact we're doing a mini tap-takeover and meet the brewer event there a week on Thursday if you happen to be around then.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I don't make eye contact but I do take a gander at their footwear. Amazing the number I spot wearing harry spankers Nike trainers! It's impossible to separate the genuinely homeless from the scammers.

Give them your hard earned and are they going to use it to find a bed for the night or are they going to blow it on drink & drugs? Hmmmmm

There are plenty of registered charities that you can donate to if you want to help out the genuinely homeless.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
As for the chuggers, I find just glaring at them acts as a deterrent.

If that doesn't work I say I will consider it if they tell me:-

1) What their CEO's remuneration package was last year

2) What % of the charity's income is spent on "administration costs"

In the unlikely event that they are able to answer, you will be so pissed off at the amount of money that isn't actually going to those in need that you will tell them where to shove it anyway!

I like to support small local charities where you can see where the money is being spent rather than the large charities that employ the numpties to accost folk on the streets going about their daily business.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
'Get back to Brighton,we've got enough beggars of our own'

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As it was a cold day and was surely going to be a very cold night I saw a slightly different side to the "they will only spend it on cans of strong lager" argument. In their situation I think I would prefer to be pissed out of my head most of the time to block out the cold and hopelessness of the situation.

100% this. It's also far too reductive of people to suggest it was always drink/drugs that first got them in that situation.

No one wakes up one morning from a regular life and goes "right, I'm going to **** my life right up through drink and drugs, and go on a spiral that ends in me being likely suicidal." The drink and drugs usually turn up halfway down the spiral as a coping mechanism. They themselves aren't really the true reason that barely anyone is homeless.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here