Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
18 miles today from Woodingdean to Willingdon (eastbourne) along the South Downs Way. Felt Ok until about mile 15/16 when my legs gave up on me, last couple of miles were really tough. Now I am wondering where I am going to find the extra 10 miles I need to do for the mouth to mouth marathon in 3 weeks!

Also had a funny feeling in my Knees towards the end, they seemed to stiffen up and feel a bit unstable, they are Ok now and no pain but not sure if this is something to worry about?

Only consolation was it was a seriously hilly route (2500ft elevation gain) whereas the mouth to mouth is not so much (1800ft) across the whole route.

Is it further/hillier than you're used to ? If so, you're likely to feel a bit odd at times, it's just part of adapting to it. Last few miles of Mouth to Mouth will at least be mostly downhill/flat.....all the hills are (sure you know) from about 10m onwards, until you get to Botolphs/bottom of Chanctonbury.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Is it further/hillier than you're used to ? If so, you're likely to feel a bit odd at times, it's just part of adapting to it. Last few miles of Mouth to Mouth will at least be mostly downhill/flat.....all the hills are (sure you know) from about 10m onwards, until you get to Botolphs/bottom of Chanctonbury.

Yes definitely the longest and hilliest run I have done and with 2 really steep hills (from the bottom of the downs to the top) at the end of the run from mile 13-18.

I don't think I am pacing myself well enough on the hills, I might try walking more of the steepest sections on next weeks training run and see if I have more left at the end.

I have not actually managed to run the last half of the mouth to mouth course so very nice to hear that it will be mostly downhill and flat!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Miserable was nt it? Hove Park for me in 21:35 still improving and nearly back to speed. Briefly saw [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] - sorry missed you afterwards I was sheltering under the trees.

Good run up Hove's twin peaks last - woodland drive and snakey twice as well.

Who's IN for Brooks next week and a cheeky pint after?

It was minging out there. Was looking for sub-22, but ended up 22.01. I didn't hang around afterwards either. Went for a great run in the mud of the riverbank and up to Truleigh Hill last night. Wasn't the quickest by any stretch, but a lot of fun.

Not at Brooks next week, not even as a spectator – Jnr Bobkin playing football, so I'll be there, I'm afraid.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
If Worthing isn't on, Hove Prom is very quick (if not windy), handily with a caff by the start/finish. Bit boring though.....up and down the seafront (and repeat)

Worthing is only 5-6 miles from My Mum's in Rustington where I can shower post run, pre football, but I guess Hove could work as well.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes definitely the longest and hilliest run I have done and with 2 really steep hills (from the bottom of the downs to the top) at the end of the run from mile 13-18.

I don't think I am pacing myself well enough on the hills, I might try walking more of the steepest sections on next weeks training run and see if I have more left at the end.

I have not actually managed to run the last half of the mouth to mouth course so very nice to hear that it will be mostly downhill and flat!

Your weekend run was over 40% more climbing than you'll do in the Mouth to Mouth, so no problem if you got knackered on the hills. Just need to make sure you recover and are biting at the bit for race day with a 3 week taper. Good luck.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Worthing is only 5-6 miles from My Mum's in Rustington where I can shower post run, pre football, but I guess Hove could work as well.

You'll be fine. The cold shower near the finish is yet to be turned off for the winter.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It's as if we know and respect other peoples boundaries. :lol:

Strava doesn't show my 2,000 mile PCH bike tour Vancouver to LA, 500 miles round Victoria incorporating the Great Ocean Road, South Island NZ complete circuit, the Caledonian Etape (year of the farmer throwing tacks on course) and 9 Olympic distance Triathlons with 4 month training plans. It's NSC Runners after all. :cool:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Strava doesn't show my 2,000 mile PCH bike tour Vancouver to LA, 500 miles round Victoria incorporating the Great Ocean Road, South Island NZ complete circuit, the Caledonian Etape (year of the farmer throwing tacks on course) and 9 Olympic distance Triathlons with 4 month training plans. It's NSC Runners after all. :cool:

Bizarrely enough it's not me being all pissy pants over the encroachment (this time!) TBH I handed even noticed.

I'll save my rage for when people start logging drives. :lolol:.

tonyt

Feb 23, 2009
Calf Injury Advice?
Any advice or suggestions would be gratefully received.
I have been running once or twice a week for many years (I am 57).
45 minutes or so at the moment - 3 to 5 miles or so?
For a long time I have been very prone to calf injuries.
I stretch pre and post run for a long time. I do calf lift strengthening exercises but still get problems.
The most recent one was a few weeks ago. I was on my feet all evening at a concert in Brighton. During the night I got cramp in my calf. I ran the following weekend and since then I've been unable to run or even walk for long distances.
At the moment even relatively innocuous movements will bring back the calf sprain problem.
I'm thinking of stopping running as can't seem to come up with a solution.
Unless the good runners of NSC have any ideas??
Many thanks

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Relax - unless you're up with the leaders you'll find virtually everyone walking the uphills on things like M2M - always the case on trail marathons. If you try running them you'll be a) hardly any quicker anyway and b) sh*gged out when you get to the top. When you're training, get used to fast, purposeful hiking, particularly uphill (I have walked past people who were 'running' many times) - it's essential for long offroad events.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Calf Injury Advice?
I stretch pre and post run for a long time. I do calf lift strengthening exercises but still get problems.
The most recent one was a few weeks ago. I was on my feet all evening at a concert in Brighton. During the night I got cramp in my calf. I ran the following weekend and since then I've been unable to run or even walk for long distances.
At the moment even relatively innocuous movements will bring back the calf sprain problem.
Many thanks

Had calf issues ever since I started running (late - I was mid 30s). Would always train OK for a while, sometimes many months, then one would pop again. Massively frustrating............

Chance discussion with a physio about a neck problem I had (I asked if the neck issue might have in some way contributed to extreme calf tightness I had) led me to look at 'nerve flossing'. Apparently the sciatic nerve gets kind of 'stuck' in it's sheath, which leads to muscle tears as the body causes this to protect the nerve from damage (the muscle repairs more easily). At one point a few months ago I went from not being able to run for 5 mins to long distances in 10 days - it was that remarkable. May not be the whole answer but it's very common in middle age.

The are loads of videos on youtube that explain it, just look for 'sciatic nerve flossing'. My physio said the 'cat and camel' one should always be the starting point.

This is a great example

https://youtu.be/zzcncRdkHno

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Calf Injury Advice?
Many thanks

Hi tontyt

I'm also an older runner (61) with a history of calf problems although probably not as dramatic as yours. I've got no magic solutions but it might be worth you getting a foam roller. You can pick them up for a tenner or so (mine is from Argos) and you can feel the thing working (it's quite uncomfortable but if it isn't hurting it probably isn't working). There are other posters on here who will have their own ideas and - depending on your location - even recommend a particular therapist. Perhaps the best thing to say is that although injuries take longer to clear up as you get older, there's always hope! I've been on the edge of giving up running many, many times over the last few decades but I'm still going!

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
A Sunday morning 10 miles for me in 87:43. Pretty slow - I've got a 10 mile race in two weeks and need to knock off another 10 minutes. Not sure how I'll do this but perhaps the competitive juices will be flowing.

10 Miles Saturday morning for me, 88:19 not as quick as last week but at least its a work out.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I reckon the two Hove courses and the Worthing one have all got PB potential (and Preston Park is OK too). I'd marginally prefer Hove Prom - but much depends on the wind.

Hove Park has/had (I've not checked since the Hove and Worthing Proms started) one of the fastest parkrun courses in the country. As many will know, I'm no fan of the Hove one, but don't mind Worthing.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Hove Park has/had (I've not checked since the Hove and Worthing Proms started) one of the fastest parkrun courses in the country. As many will know, I'm no fan of the Hove one, but don't mind Worthing.

The problem with Hove Park is that I haven't been past The Goldstone since the last game there.

;-)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here