• Shake it all about

Votes: 22 8.3%

• Total voters

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
IN

He is doing a very, very good job running our club the way that modern football clubs are run.

I also know first hand that he will personally pull up an employee that delivers bad service etc. so he isn't just going through the motions.

Those that want the club to be 'little ol' Brighton' will dislike him.
Those that realise the football map has changed and it IS more corporate and service driven will understand.

I hear what you are saying, but that is not the way it has to be. Success and a different approach to ownership and management are not mutually exclusive.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This in large bucketfuls

I thought a company CEO was ultimately responsible for EVERYTHING

This 'he's not responsible for this and that' is incorrect. The buck stops at his desk...

But if Paul Barber, David Burke and Sami Hyypia all report into Tony Bloom, doesn't your buck stop with him, not PB?

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
WCP, I voted 'Barber in' and praised him in some areas. I think that approached in the right way (within the constraints of modern football) he has the intelligence and personality to be a very good and respected CEO. I hope I have explained my position clearly: in my opinion there needs to be over the table dialogue between an organised fans' group and the club heirarchy, not a two pronged approach of endless individual emails to fans and a lecture in the programme as though we are being given a party line :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But if Paul Barber, David Burke and Sami Hyypia all report into Tony Bloom, doesn't your buck stop with him, not PB?

Ultimately I guess it does as TB owns the club and employs Barber. But as I understand it there is a formal delegation of responsibilities to the CEO so you can argue the buck does stop with Barber as Bloom has handed over certain areas of the club to him to manage and operate.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Do we really need constant searching of scapegoats?

Barnes, Hammond, Andrews, JFC, Barber, Burke blah blah. We are a a whiney lot aren't we ?
Have to agree....how many who hounded Barnes would now like him back now...I said before and repeat...Barber does not recruit players...he had a remit and fullfilled it...careful what you wish for!

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
But why should he change what he is doing because the fans don't like it? If the club did as the fans wanted we would be signing players for huge sums, paying them a fortune, have small ticket prices and be, as a result, massively in debt. If the club did as we say we would go under in seconds. What is to say we know best?

What I am saying is that an organised fans' group should put realistic and achievable proposals to him which a majority clearly support as evinced both by NSC and wider reaction at games. The most obvious of which right now is that both Burke and Hyypia should be out on their arses :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ultimately I guess it does as TB owns the club and employs Barber. But as I understand it there is a formal delegation of responsibilities to the CEO so you can argue the buck does stop with Barber as Bloom has handed over certain areas of the club to him to manage and operate.

Where do you understand that from?

And does that understanding include a delegation of the responsibilities of first team squad performance and player recruitment (from TB to PB)?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(

The fact we have these discussions constantly just points to a lack of transparency employed by the club, shirley?

Instead of PB writing platitudes in the programme, how about he tells us his, DB's and SH's actual responsibilities and roles in the recruitment and decision making processes at the club, and TB's role in all this? It wouldn't give any competitors any advantage, and would end about 80% of the speculation on here...

Or is it just another directive from the secretive TB that this doesn't happen?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't see how anyone can think Barber should get sacked, it doesn't make sense. His job was to get us in line with FFP, which he's done. People may not like it, but his is never a job that is going to be popular with the fans, and it needs to be done. Burke's job is recruiting players, which he seems to have done poorly, although not as poorly as some people make out. So either Burke has failed in getting us good enough players, or Sami has failed in getting the best out of the players, or both. None of that is Barber's fault. Burke and Sami should be the ones under pressure, not Barber.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where do you understand that from?

And does that understanding include a delegation of the responsibilities of first team squad performance and player recruitment (from TB to PB)?

This is just general knowledge of how CEOs operate, it's why they're employed from what I know. I have no idea of the exact responsibilities in Barbers case though. But given his huge salary he most have a lot. Whether this involves the player side I'm unsure; I wonder if there's a club organogram as this would show who reports into Barber.

I haven't been reading every post so if I have inadvertently suggested Barber is involved with players it wasn't my intention. I was merely saying in some areas the buck does stop with Barber.

Feb 14, 2010
WCP, I voted 'Barber in' and praised him in some areas. I think that approached in the right way (within the constraints of modern football) he has the intelligence and personality to be a very good and respected CEO. I hope I have explained my position clearly: in my opinion there needs to be over the table dialogue between an organised fans' group and the club heirarchy, not a two pronged approach of endless individual emails to fans and a lecture in the programme as though we are being given a party line :)

I think he's on a hiding to nohing tho'. If he doesnt reply then he is not listening. If he does then he still gets stick. As for fans groups well fine by me, but we must all remember Bloom is keeping this club afloat despite the large crowds. As such, there has to be an understanding that Bloom's pocket cannot be taken for granted. Anyway, cheers for the reply Attilla and all the best.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I think Sami must have been at the Manchester game today as the fans kept singing ' your getting sacked in the morning '

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Barber was involved in the interview process of Garcia and Hyypia. HE is involved in the creation of strategy and it's implementation on how the club is structured and run.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why are you suggesting that is his only job? If it was, why would his job title be "CEO" if he doesn't have all the other typical CEO responsibilities? Additionally, what's the point in having a "finance director" on the board if that's Barbers job?

I personally think that we can be confident that PB is a typical CEO and is in charge of all aspects of the day-to-day running of the club.

I haven't suggested that. But that seems to be his main remit. Barber is a commercial man, he's not a football man. David Burke and Sami Hyppia are, so the buck has to stop with them for the footballing side. Unless, of course, Tony Bloom gave Barber full control of hiring the new manager and didn't get involved in it whatsoever, but I really can't believe that's true.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I haven't suggested that. But that seems to be his main remit. Barber is a commercial man, he's not a football man. David Burke and Sami Hyppia are, so the buck has to stop with them for the footballing side. Unless, of course, Tony Bloom gave Barber full control of hiring the new manager and didn't get involved in it whatsoever, but I really can't believe that's true.

The whole DOF role and the philosophy is in line with how barber has worked wherever he has been. This is where we are 100% wrong at present.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The whole DOF role and the philosophy is in line with how barber has worked wherever he has been. This is where we are 100% wrong at present.

I'm undecided on the DOF model, but I can totally see why we do it, especially with the academy. The problem is it it narrows down the number of potential good managers who would consider the job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here