Votes: 115 43.2%
  • Shake it all about

Votes: 22 8.3%

• Total voters

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Quite possibly, Bloom appears not to be the most 'people person' type business man. Gus's only come along once in a while and he had the 80-90% of the support base solidly behind him, the situation seems that it was very poorly handled.

The next manager left pretty sharpish, then re appeared in English football a few months later. Suggests a very toxic working environment that self respecting managers want to avoid.

It's a lot of assumptions and hypothetical conclusions for us all to lay the blame at certain individuals. That is all I'm saying. You may well be right, it was extremely unusual for an unhappy manager not to court a new job while still employed, to resign, take a role back to an old club in Israel, then come back to England 3 months later. This might be the club, but it also might be that Oscar is a very complex individual, who as we've seen also had some health issues.

Because Gus left, and then Oscar, I think it is a big leap to then say our operations are toxic.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Attilla, as you know ive great respect for you, Harty and the Gulls Eye lads. You would know me to recognise and acknowledge. I was at BISA meetings. However can I ask, what is it that Paul Barber has done that deserves the stick he gets? He doesnt pick the team, or buy the players. He just seeks to minimise the amount of money the his boss, Tony Bloom has to pay each year to keep the club afloat. And who can blame him or Tony Bloom for that? There are things I dont agree with such as the the way players were bought in the summer. However things have gone wrong, but that is football. Its not as if the goldstone has been sold. Its quite the reverse. So can I ask, as one veteran from the troubled times to anther, what really is the beef?

I think the beef is the difference between being customer-focused and being fan-led. One is about supply, demand and operational efficiency. The other is about seeing a slightly bigger picture - one that's more about long-term cohesion, about being a steward and running the club on behalf of the fans (not the Chairman) and about listening to what football fans in this part of Sussex might want rather than just serving up a diet of football it is assumed we want because that is what the 'out of the box' fare is everywhere else.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I heard from someone close to the Bloom family (yes I realise how that sounds, but it's true…), that Bloom and Gus had a fractious relationship long before Barber turned up. Bloom tolerated Gus's inability to work within the structures he wanted because Gus bought success basically. Gus wasn't an easy person to work with or control.

Now all the rest of your statement maybe true, but from what I heard, it wasn't Gus's relationship with Barber that was the main problem.

Interesting that you should say this, as I posted this in this thread yesterday http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?314384-Virgo-and-Dicker&p=6704694#post6704694 and you are really backing up what I heard but from a closer source. Did seem strange to bring in a man at the top who sacked your successful manager. So Barber has sacked Poyet twice.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I might add, PB has done some good things in this area (some catering choices, entertainment before the game outside, concourses open after matches, his personal responsiveness - as @atilla has indicated), but in others he has failed (no consultation on safe standing, some fan ejections and lack of a dialogue with stewards, lack of true consultation with fans, some poor decision making on ticket prices, a marketing function that is a little too aggressive)

Feb 14, 2010
I think the beef is the difference between being customer-focused and being fan-led. One is about supply, demand and operational efficiency. The other is about seeing a slightly bigger picture - one that's more about long-term cohesion, about being a steward and running the club on behalf of the fans (not the Chairman) and about listening to what football fans in this part of Sussex might want rather than just serving up a diet of football it is assumed we want because that is what the 'out of the box' fare is everywhere else.

OK I hear that, but can everyone just recognise that we have a chairman who has bought a ground, is expanding the Albion via academies and is paying millions each year to keep the club afloat. With all of those good things, there must be a control on how much of Blooms money is spent. I think a round the table meeting between a few people and the club might be an idea.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
OK I hear that, but can everyone just recognise that we have a chairman who has bought a ground, is expanding the Albion via academies and is paying millions each year to keep the club afloat. With all of those good things, there must be a control on how much of Blooms money is spent. I think a round the table meeting between a few people and the club might be an idea.

I agree. Time for proper dialogue and not just a fan's Q&A. Any volunteers?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Attilla, as you know ive great respect for you, Harty and the Gulls Eye lads. You would know me to recognise and acknowledge. I was at BISA meetings. However can I ask, what is it that Paul Barber has done that deserves the stick he gets? He doesnt pick the team, or buy the players. He just seeks to minimise the amount of money the his boss, Tony Bloom has to pay each year to keep the club afloat. And who can blame him or Tony Bloom for that? There are things I dont agree with such as the the way players were bought in the summer. However things have gone wrong, but that is football. Its not as if the goldstone has been sold. Its quite the reverse. ]\b]So can I ask, as one veteran from the troubled times to anther, what really is the beef?

I know this was aimed at Attila, but allow me to have a pop if you will?

PB is the CEO of a business that is clearly struggling. I imagine most CEOs of struggling businesses go flat out to drum up business in as many ways as possible. What we seem to be getting, if it isn't oxymoronic, is inaction. What is actually happening at the club to improve the situation on the pitch? A few loanees of dubious calibre, and a headlong tailspin down the pan? I'm not surprised PB has time to write extensive programme notes and e-mails, as there doesn't seem to be much else for him to do. Perhaps he could get out a road atlas and start jotting down directions to League 1 grounds for the club coach driver for next season?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think that is not a true relection but an opinion voiced to fit the circumstances. PB sorts out the finance of the club not the playing side.

I'm so glad you're pro Barber. Let's face it, you're not exactly known as one of this board's great intellectual minds.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
FWIW
I consider that Paul Barber is doing an excellent job as his responsibilities are engaging with the commercial side of the club, an area where we seem to be doing OK if all is to be believed. He is also to be respected for his interaction with fans' via email which are both succinct and polite, that according to the vast majority of posts on here.
PB has no responsibility whatsoever for our current predicament so I fail to understand the vitriolic which routinely appears on our (excellent) board. Cut him a bit of slack and recognise that he is doing a good job ( the one which he was employed to do ) .
Now to address the real problems !!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I know this was aimed at Attila, but allow me to have a pop if you will?

PB is the CEO of a business that is clearly struggling. I imagine most CEOs of struggling businesses go flat out to drum up business in as many ways as possible. What we seem to be getting, if it isn't oxymoronic, is inaction. What is actually happening at the club to improve the situation on the pitch? A few loanees of dubious calibre, and a headlong tailspin down the pan? I'm not surprised PB has time to write extensive programme notes and e-mails, as there doesn't seem to be much else for him to do. Perhaps he could get out a road atlas and start jotting down directions to League 1 grounds for the club coach driver for next season?

This in spades

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
He is probably just passionate about the football club, like the rest of us.

This is an important discussion, as Albion fans we should know better than anyone to always question whether the board are doing what is best for the clubs long-term future.

If Barber was doing his job better, by doing more to make the Albion match day experience one that is not just about buying pies, pints and clobber while having the Amex become a sterile happy-clappy soulless bowl - but instead one that is about the fans and passion,with the end goal of creating a unique and fantastic atmosphere, then I would be confident there would not be 10,000+ empty seats right now. Even relegation would not be a disaster if we built up the large hardcore fanbase that we are capable of, but that simply isn't on PB's agenda.

How would you do that? Any ideas other than what is being done at the moment. Im not supporting PB but what else apart from winning and slashing prices would make your match day experience better?

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
FWIW
I consider that Paul Barber is doing an excellent job as his responsibilities are engaging with the commercial side of the club, an area where we seem to be doing OK if all is to be believed. He is also to be respected for his interaction with fans' via email which are both succinct and polite, that according to the vast majority of posts on here.
PB has no responsibility whatsoever for our current predicament so I fail to understand the vitriolic which routinely appears on our (excellent) board. Cut him a bit of slack and recognise that he is doing a good job ( the one which he was employed to do ) .
Now to address the real problems !!

Is he the CEO or Sales & Marketing Director?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
We sticking to FFP and have passed it - Barber is doing his job. He also doesnt control the tactics, playing staff etc.

In.

Yeah, this.
The one thing that's gone right this season is passing FFP. That's down to him. So, in my view, he's the only one that deserves to stay. Sack everyone else.
The 'Barber Out' mob have no clue what he does.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Is he the CEO or Sales & Marketing Director?
To my mind he may well be CEO but, in the case of a professional football club, has little input into the playing side of things other than presumably whatever he has to say at routine or extraordinary board meetings which, presumably, would not bear too much weight.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Do more to make the Amex an authentic football experience. Look to how they do things in Germany for example. Seriously consider safe standing, move the away fans next to the north stand, work with the fans to make the atmosphere amazing. Join Ipswich in their campaign to drink alcohol in the stands... and so on.

We want the new fans to come to the Amex and think "wow, the atmosphere is amazing, I'll be coming back here again"

Why should TB spend more to undo the construction work to do safe standing?

These problems are more about British football, than anything of Paul Barber doing

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I'm a bit concerned the auto-ad at the top of this page, no doubt due to the hue of the thread's content, reads, 'Flats For Sale In Swansea...'

Anywhere, yes, but NOT Wales :lolol:

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
IN

He is doing a very, very good job running our club the way that modern football clubs are run.

I also know first hand that he will personally pull up an employee that delivers bad service etc. so he isn't just going through the motions.

Those that want the club to be 'little ol' Brighton' will dislike him.
Those that realise the football map has changed and it IS more corporate and service driven will understand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here