Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] *** Labour Party Annual Conference, 23-25 September 2018, ACC Liverpool ***

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Some very muddled thinking there.

Proportionally, given the levels of taxes the two would be paying, it would mostly be the banker's taxes paying for both his and the binman's kids to go to Uni.

And with the removal of fees, the binman's kids would be far more likely to go into third-level education. Because, regardless of how you spin it as a 'graduate tax' or 'soft debt' it IS still a debt of £30k, that kids from a lower income background are far less likely to be comfortable with taking on.

As for your claim about the gap between 'advantaged and disadvantaged families narrowing', under this government, I'm lost for a suitable response. The exponential rise in reliance on food banks, seems to rather dispel your assertion.

The rise in reliance on food banks is as much to do with the rise in the number of banks that have opened, a figure the Trussell Trust don’t seem keen on sharing!

BBC report in the 2015/16 FY There were more than a million emergency food packages handed out. However, as we've pointed out before , this doesn't mean a million people accessed a food bank.

Secondly you’re point of more people from a supposed working class background will have access to third tier education, surely this will only increase the number of 20 somethings with a useless degree chasing very few jobs in their alleged area of expertise?

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Still CANNOT believe folk could vote for a pair of terrorist loving, Jew hating, racist scum bags like Corbyn and McDonnell.
I suppose it takes all sorts.

As opposed to an entire party of arms selling, bomb dropping, child molesting, anybodybutus hating scum bags like the Tories?

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
Good questions. I am no expert but I know that in Germany workers generally have rights and engagement far in excess of what has become commonplace in this country.

The share ownership thing seems to work OK for John Lewis. I assume the proposed model might have some elements in common with how that scheme operates.

I think you will find that John Lewis give a profit related bonus - very different from share ownership.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
its not £500 dividend per worker, its £500 share capital per worker. So a company with say 1000 employees would have to issue £500k worth of shares and give it over to employees. again, this is about taking capital, not sharing profits.

Not sure what you are suggesting is correct. I thought it was giving 10% of the already issued shares to the employees and these being held by the employees as a group, with the individual employees then receiving up to £500 per year in dividends, with any excess over £500 effectively going to central funds.

I agree with your comment thats its about taking capital, as it is effectively theft, and may well lead to less investment, companies delisting from the stock exchange, or moving head offices overseas so that they are exempt from the scheme.

Hopefully further detail will follow on these Labour proposals to clarify

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The rise in reliance on food banks is as much to do with the rise in the number of banks that have opened, a figure the Trussell Trust don’t seem keen on sharing!

I don't follow the distinction you are trying to make? Why do you think there ARE more banks? :shrug:

Secondly you’re point of more people from a supposed working class background will have access to third tier education, surely this will only increase the number of 20 somethings with a useless degree chasing very few jobs in their alleged area of expertise?

Firstly, there's plenty of evidence to support the view that high take-up of third-level of education is overwhelmingly a good thing for a nation's economy.

More specifically, who said anything about 'useless' degrees? Whilst I'm not arrogant enough to offer myself as the arbiter of which degrees are 'useful' and which are not, there are clearly some which fall fairly and squarely into the former category.

Personally I'd propose a system, where courses that are demonstrably in the public interest (teaching, nursing, paramedics, etc) are fully funded, with a contract element that commits the recipient of the 'free' course, to working within the public sector for a set period afterwards. Have your free nursing degree, then commit to six (or whatever works) years within the NHS, before taking that lucrative job in Dubai, etc.

That people have to pay £9,000 per year to train to work in the NHS as a nurse, is a national scandal. It's no wonder we are utterly reliant on the immoral practice of importing staff that other less well-off nations have invested in training, to keep the system running.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
McCluskey, McDonnell. and Corbyn, what a dream team for the UK.
People's Prime Minister, my arse.
More like an incompetent student politician and friend to any number of useless and or nasty organisations and political nutters.
The man is not fit to run the Labour Party, let alone the country.

Abbott - you didn't mention the great mathematician in the list. :lolol:

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Personally I'd propose a system, where courses that are demonstrably in the public interest (teaching, nursing, paramedics, etc) are fully funded, with a contract element that commits the recipient of the 'free' course, to working within the public sector for a set period afterwards. Have your free nursing degree, then commit to six (or whatever works) years within the NHS, before taking that lucrative job in Dubai, etc.

Seems a reasonable idea. That alone means than none of the current crop of politicians are likely to think its worthwhile :lolol:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Not sure what you are suggesting is correct. I thought it was giving 10% of the already issued shares to the employees and these being held by the employees as a group, with the individual employees then receiving up to £500 per year in dividends, with any excess over £500 effectively going to central funds.

I agree with your comment thats its about taking capital, as it is effectively theft, and may well lead to less investment, companies delisting from the stock exchange, or moving head offices overseas so that they are exempt from the scheme.

Hopefully further detail will follow on these Labour proposals to clarify

My understanding is the same as yours. This is from his speech:

"We will legislate for large companies to transfer shares into an “Inclusive Ownership Fund.” The shares will be held and managed collectively by the workers. The shareholding will give workers the same rights as other shareholders to have a say over the direction of their company. And dividend payments will be made directly to the workers from the fund. Payments could be up to £500 a year. That’s 11 million workers each with a greater say, and a greater stake, in the rewards of their labour.

Societal Dividend

But we all know it’s not just the employees of a company that create the profits it generates. It’s the collective investment in infrastructure, education and research and development that we as a society make that enables entrepreneurs to build and grow their businesses.

So we believe it’s right that society shares in the benefits that investment produces. That’s why a proportion of revenues generated by the ‘inclusive ownership funds’ will be transferred back to our public services as a social dividend. Over time, this will mobilise billions that could be spent supporting our public services and social security system."

Some "large" companies do not pay dividends to shareholders. Will they now be compelled to? What if declaring a dividend will put that business at risk? I really cannot see how this will work at all, let alone raise billions for public services.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here