Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huddersfield signing EVERYONE...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
You know what I mean.

They had been in the PL before their promotion season and had already signed Keane and raided the Championship that Summer as we well know with Ward. A squad they largely kept together. They didn't need to go nuts when bouncing back.

Not suggesting we should do a Boro or a Hudds by the way, just saying the point doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

I suppose another twist on it is Burnley were only JUST a bit better than us that season, and then didn't go crazy on the recruitment on the summer.

We are better now than that season. I really think we will and should follow the Burnley model of trusting the majority of players talent enough to get us up and adding 4/5 quality summer signings. We have 2 already.

We should, in no way, compare out summer policy to Huddersfield. Completely different.

At the start of the summer I really do think most people would have said "4 or 5 signing" and if you had said, before pre-season starts we have signed two probably starters then most would be more than happy.

It feels like the our perceptions of what we require are becoming very skewed by others transfer activity.

Another example is when Bmuff went up. That summer they signed, in my mind, 5 players that were starters. Mings, Murray, Gradel, King, Boruc.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
I suppose another twist on it is Burnley were only JUST a bit better than us that season, and then didn't go crazy on the recruitment on the summer.

We are better now than that season. I really think we will and should follow the Burnley model of trusting the majority of players talent enough to get us up and adding 4/5 quality summer signings. We have 2 already.

We should, in no way, compare out summer policy to Huddersfield. Completely different.

At the start of the summer I really do think most people would have said "4 or 5 signing" and if you had said, before pre-season starts we have signed two probably starters then most would be more than happy.

It feels like the our perceptions of what we require are becoming very skewed by others transfer activity.

Another example is when Bmuff went up. That summer they signed, in my mind, 5 players that were starters. Mings, Murray, Gradel, King, Boruc.

Mings and Gradel both picked up long term injuries pretty early on, and Murray never played. So they essentially stayed up with the Championship squad + King and Boruc.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Mings and Gradel both picked up long term injuries pretty early on, and Murray never played. So they essentially stayed up with the Championship squad + King and Boruc.

Boruc was there on loan when they won the Championship, they also added Afobe and Sylvain Dustbin but the point is a good one - they stayed up with almost the same team but I think they had better quality players. They already had Callum Wilson, Steve Cook, Charlie Daniels, Simon Francis, Harry Arter, Andrew Surman and Matt Ritchie are all comfortably competing in the Premier League.

I think our squad already has Bruno, Dunk, Stephens, Kayal, Knockaert, Murray, Duffy and Rosenior who are quality. I think we then have Bong, Hünemeier, Skalak, Sidwell and Goldson who can come in as well so we're not too far behind where we need to be having added Ryan and Gross.

UTT

Jun 27, 2017
At least they'll have most if not all their signings in place for pre-season which is vital for the way they prepare in terms of team building and psycho, go through brick walls for the team mentality Wagner seems to favour. and whose to say he's wrong???

This.

Our local rag has photo's of almost all our new signings turning up for training today.

We can't preach though, this is how our manager likes to work. I still remember watching sky deadline day praying we'd bring in a name and the best we could muster was david Edgar on loan!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

I take your other points but I disagree with this.

I think most were saying 6-7 and that was before Stockdale scarpered.

Currently:

- No first choice LB
- No FB cover (ie. a Tomori who can cover either side)
- We understand that Norwood is for sale which is in line with alot of our thinking that he might not cut it. So a CM needed and a bloody good one as we don't know if Kayal will hit the form we know he has in the past.
- We absolutely must improve our strikeforce. Between a 33yo Murray, Hemed and an injury prone Baldock, there isn't much wiggle room and certainly not enough firepower.
- We need another wide player as at least one of Murphy or Skalak will probably not make the grade.
- Need a 3rd GK
- It's too much to ask of Goldson to return from illness and compete at a level higher than before he was out, he needs a loan and we need a loan to replace him.

I'm not sure how many that is, but it's more than 4 or 5 and after the 2 we have already brought in.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I am led to believe that Huddersfield are close to making 2 more significant signings!

UTT

Jun 27, 2017
I'd be very surprised at 2 more!

Probably papertalk, having done the business we've done our name will get chucked in regardless. We're supposed to be one of a number of clubs in for Jota but can't see it myself.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Boruc was there on loan when they won the Championship, they also added Afobe and Sylvain Dustbin but the point is a good one - they stayed up with almost the same team but I think they had better quality players. They already had Callum Wilson, Steve Cook, Charlie Daniels, Simon Francis, Harry Arter, Andrew Surman and Matt Ritchie are all comfortably competing in the Premier League.

I think our squad already has Bruno, Dunk, Stephens, Kayal, Knockaert, Murray, Duffy and Rosenior who are quality. I think we then have Bong, Hünemeier, Skalak, Sidwell and Goldson who can come in as well so we're not too far behind where we need to be having added Ryan and Gross.

The addition to that is that 7 of the players Bournmouth started that PL season were playing for them in League 1 two seasons before. (Simon Francis, Steve Cook, Harry Arter, Andrew Surman, Charlie Daniels, Marc Pughand Lewis Grabban.) There's absolutely no reason why the majority of our squad from last season can't make the step up.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I've been mulling this quandary over since they started playing Wolf of Wall St up at the McAlpine and a thought occurred.

They were starting from a very low cost base (someone less lazy than I will know how to find this out) and therefore to walk into £170-190m windfall really is just that.

Hudds have spent £30-35m so far, which will likely come with a £15-17m a year wage bill and they view that as a gamble worth taking but it's also a big risk as if they come down they won't necessarily recoup the money for the players and will be stuck with them on long contracts.

The end worst case result for them is that they come straight back down and have to use the parachute money to maintain status quo for a net net no difference from the Premier League adventure.

We on the other hand were already running at huge losses and know that we want to be sustainable long term so we won't risk the future sustainability plan for the sake of short term gain.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
The worrying things for me are that the club frequently tells us that there is no point recruiting new players if they're not an improvement on what we've got. Apart from Murray, as previously stated none of the loanees became starters.

I also have this nagging feeling that the club tries to do things on the cheap. We have £100m coming our way. Why not spend some of it and give ourselves a chance? If we go down, offload some of our better players and use the parachute payments to cover the others.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The worrying things for me are that the club frequently tells us that there is no point recruiting new players if they're not an improvement on what we've got. Apart from Murray, as previously stated none of the loanees became starters.

I also have this nagging feeling that the club tries to do things on the cheap. We have £100m coming our way. Why not spend some of it and give ourselves a chance? If we go down, offload some of our better players and use the parachute payments to cover the others.

Why not have a look at post 334...youve already replied to that poster about having to relay the same message over and over again ...and yet you seem to have ignored what he said

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Absolutely. If there is one thing that is undeniable about the Tony Bloom era, it is that he won't put any money into the club.
Of course we are all grateful for what Tony has done for this club. However, football is an expensive game, and we're playing with the big boys now. The reason we don't get most of our targets is most probably because others are prepared to pay more than us.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Good point

It was Boro's first stint in the PL for a while. Burnley were on the back of being relegated.

Also, those figures don't seem to stack up. To me it looks like Burnley brought in 8+2 loans in Summer of 2014/15 and 7+2 loans last Summer +more in January on both occasions. Couple of those may have been youth players mind.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'll leave you with this:

Burnley signed 5 players last summer I believe. Only 2 were starters. Stayed up

Middlesborough signed 11 players. Built a new team. Players like Negredo, Valdes, De Roon, Fischer, Traore, Fabio, Barragan, Chambers - Went down.

Chill out, yeah?

Burnley were at their second bite of the cherry. They made excellent signings in the summers of 2014 and 2015 with PL money, giving them a sound PL squad that stayed up in 2017 despite being joint favourites for the drop.

Ward, Gray, Boyd, Lowton, Jutiewicz, Keane, Gudmundsson - all featured in some famous wins last season, but were bought with PL in previous windows.

So the Boro and Burnley comparison is false.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good point

It wasn't, as it failed to make mention of the excellent PL squad building by Burnley with PL money in 2014 and 2015,

Boro had to do it all in summer 2016. Badly as we now know, failing to bring in pace and flair, something Steve Gibson admitted with regret.

In contrast, Bournemouth and Southampton splashed the PL cash on many new faces in their promotion summers, and now they're top half clubs.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
So you are saying we should overpay to get targets away from others? If we go down we will never shift them as they won't get a contract close rob the one we overpaid to them, leaving us piling up debt with players who we can't shift and are not good enough.
Sounds great...
Not overpay. Pay the going rate, like other clubs have/will.

Take Abraham for example. If it is true that he wanted £1m to sign, and that was the stumbling block, we have lost a player that we wanted for the sake of 1/100 of our TV income from next season.

I'm uncomfortable with the amount of money floating around in football nowadays, but it is a fact of life. 99% of clubs make a loss, and you cannot run a club as a business any more.

Other people on this thread have quoted Burnley as a role model for not investing in better players. But they had a lot of their PL players from the previous season when they went up. Also, they will really struggle if their home form next year doesn't match this season. I think they could go down next season if they don't improve their squad.

But hey, let's bank that money for when we come straight back down. Great plan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here