Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Term time Dad loses in the Supreme Court

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not really, as that would mean asking the school if he can take time off, before he booked the holiday, wouldn't it ?

Maybe, but he did say it was booked before she started at the school. Still doesn't excuse the attitude of the school. In all probability maybe he could have handled it better but then so could the school by accepting that they advised their decision far too late and by not being so dictatorial with the punitive measures about future illness.

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
I don't really remember what I learned in June 1989, but I do remember family holiday's fondly. I'm sure someone has made this point already but I'm not trawling through 21 pages of nonsense.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
now i was quite prepared to apologise such a silly misreading, so i went back and found this:

so i dont stand corrected, you said teaching jobs have 40 days holiday. own it.

´Compare my office job to teaching´ is implied my office job to my teaching job but fine, I should have put the word my in front of teaching as well.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Back on point, here is my view as a teacher. For students that have a good attendance record (above 95%) who miss the odd day of school at the end of term for a holiday really is not an issue, as others have said, visiting a new country can be way more educational than a day at school and I am firmly of the belief that travel broadens the mind.

The problem is, this then opens the door to abusing the system. If a school outright condones time off for holidays then you will have some families taking the last 3 days off of every term (sometimes even the last week) so that they can bag their bargain holiday. This does indeed happen, I have several families who were missing for a whole week this term as the snow was good and so they booked a last minute ski trip, I imagine they have the money to pay any fine too so that is not really an issue.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...I have several families who were missing for a whole week this term as the snow was good and so they booked a last minute ski trip, I imagine they have the money to pay any fine too so that is not really an issue.

So, it's OK for the already privileged rich to stump up a small fine they can easily afford to go somewhere they have probably been several times before just to have a cheaper/quieter holiday on the slopes... but the poor kid, hoping for the holiday of a lifetime in a caravan in Wales, who can't afford the fine because it would double the cost of their holiday... tough luck mate. Doesn't really seem like an enlightened policy to me, it looks more like the teachers/head avoiding the issue and hiding behind a poor one-size-fits-all policy.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I ve just this minute finished writing to my son s school because i took him out for a week, to go and see his aging family abroad who he has never met before and might not meet again and to discover some of his roots.There is even a place called Albion there as well so it was very benifical. I haven t been for 9 years because it s very expensive to fly to.Anyway explained all of this apart from the Albion bit! and was told it was a Family Holiday.Except my other half did nt come thats his mum so not really a family holiday.My boys school reports have been excellent since he has been at school and punctuality.So could nt really understand why im still being fined expecting to hear back today or tomoz.Probably a no though but worth a shoot.Easy money for the goverment tar everyone with the same brush instead of using common sense.
my Son s grammer is a million times better than mine before anyone starts taking the piss. lol UTA

The written English in this post is a scraming advert for why your kids need to be in school as much as is humanly possible.

oddsonlaughter

Jan 24, 2008
Once again. You do not get it. Can you tell me another profession where you are expected to have training days in your own personal holidays?

tbf I think its slightly different in the sense that if I had a training day it would not result in a mass of other people having to arrange child care etc

oddsonlaughter

Jan 24, 2008
I am not pretending I am too clued up on this but a few questions

- Does the fine go to the school or the council?
- Is there not a way a compromise could be arranged where by you could have one week holiday if not an exam year ( or maybe none within 3 months of an exam ) and if more than a months notice - so that work could be arranged which must be completed

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Lol at all the spacktards on this thread sticking to the line that children's holidays = teacher holidays. Despite being told by numerous ACTUAL teachers on here that that isn't the case.

Aah the internet. Why are certain people so absolutely vehemently against admitting that they were wrong on the internet? Is it ego or something?

What annoys me most is that schools shut on a whim and take teaching days away from children when it suits them without any regard to inconvenience to parents. Roles are reversed and parents get fined.

As an example, my kids' school recently had to put two classes in temporary classrooms whilst building works were carried out. Rather than get the teachers to give up two days of their enormous holidays to get the rooms ready, the school shut down entirely for two days. A whole school of parents having to sort out two days childcare. We've got a whole week shutdown in September whilst they move back into the new building. There's then a week in June where there are two inset days and a sports day in one week, plus two days of 'sport' for the remainder of the week. If that isn't an invitation to take your kids out and go on a cheaper holiday when they're learning sod all I don't
know what is.

First world problems mate :)......having kids is expensive I know but the privilege of a 'free' (yes I know we all pay taxes) state school system is not. I'm just happy I'm not in some war torn, famine ravaged country worrying about where the next meal is coming from.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Lol at all the spacktards on this thread sticking to the line that children's holidays = teacher holidays. Despite being told by numerous ACTUAL teachers on here that that isn't the case.

Aah the internet. Why are certain people so absolutely vehemently against admitting that they were wrong on the internet? Is it ego or something?

Lol at the 'Spacktard' teachers who throw insults about rather than explain exactly what happens when the kids are on holiday.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Back on point, here is my view as a teacher. For students that have a good attendance record (above 95%) who miss the odd day of school at the end of term for a holiday really is not an issue, as others have said, visiting a new country can be way more educational than a day at school and I am firmly of the belief that travel broadens the mind.

The problem is, this then opens the door to abusing the system. If a school outright condones time off for holidays then you will have some families taking the last 3 days off of every term (sometimes even the last week) so that they can bag their bargain holiday. This does indeed happen, I have several families who were missing for a whole week this term as the snow was good and so they booked a last minute ski trip, I imagine they have the money to pay any fine too so that is not really an issue.

But if you live in Wales, the authorities allow 10 days off for holidays. This is my problem with this ruling. It doesn't apply to private schools, or those in Wales.
In Scotland, you cannot take the time off, but if you do, then there isn't a fine.

Either the education in this country is important, or it isn't.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I have some sympathy with the "seeing other cultures, hearing other languages" sort of comment, BUT at the end of the day the school has to deal with this thing called the National Curriculum, and what kids do on holiday will not be in tune with the national curriculum. People who are not involved in education probably seriously underestimate the carefulness of the planning that has to go in to a teacher's working life to make sure they have all the national curriculum bases covered.

Also, attendance is something that an OFSTED inspection looks at. If a school was seen to be too lax on the question of attendance, it would and could affect the school's OFSTED rating. Some schools have to work much harder at this than others, but it can be a really big headache.

And finally, with the "it's OK for rich kids to go off on skiing holidays.... " etc, if those kids are at private school:
1. They will have longer holidays anyway.... and
2. PRIVATE SCHOOLS ARE NOT SUBJECT TO THE NATIONAL CURRICULUM, OR TESTING or any of that stuff, so plenty of the arguments above would go straight out the window.
3. And if it is a private school. the parent has the ultimate sanction of being able to move their children. so the school might need to please the parents for financial reasons. If it is a heavyweight private school, they might be able to afford to be heavy-handed with the parents. If it is a lesser private school, losing a couple of kids might be the straw that breaks the camel's back to financial disaster.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

'Spacktard'! What kind of comment is that? Do you realise how many people you could offend with a term like that? That is deeply upsetting to someone easily offended on somebody else's behalf. Take yourself up to Muesli Hill and throw yourself off the top, just disgusting......

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Lol at the 'Spacktard' teachers who throw insults about rather than explain exactly what happens when the kids are on holiday.

Wilko told you in his very first reply to your anti-teacher baiting post that the teachers don't get the same holidays as the kids. You then chose to ignore that and assume that he was just bad at maths instead because 40 days does not equal 13 weeks. He then told you repeatedly again that it wasn't a maths issue and when the penny finally dropped instead of apologising you then made a snide comment about his temper.

You're a bell end.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I could only dream about 40 days holiday when I was working. I worked my way up from 22 days to 28 days, which included 8 days bank holidays.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Wilko told you in his very first reply to your anti-teacher baiting post that the teachers don't get the same holidays as the kids. You then chose to ignore that and assume that he was just bad at maths instead because 40 days does not equal 13 weeks. He then told you repeatedly again that it wasn't a maths issue and when the penny finally dropped instead of apologising you then made a snide comment about his temper.

You're a bell end.

Another one with Anger management issues

Spaces available on the course next week.

http://www.counselling-directory.org.uk/anger.html

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here