Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why doesn't FIFA just shove it.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
To be fair (hear me out), if they are viewing the armbands as breaking the rules then all the other stuff HAS to be investigated as well.

That's a side point to whether you think they should view the poppy stuff as breaking the rules (which I don't, for what it's worth)

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I don't think it matters what happened previously, times change, moods change and how we choose to commemorate certain events do too and the FA appear to have the overwhelming support of fans, clubs and players in honouring Remembrance Day in this way. And if Remembrance Sunday is political then so was the minute's silence to remember the victims of terror attacks in France last year.

I don't think we need too much lecturing on political grandstanding from an organisation that puts a higher price on protecting its advertising rights than blatant and persistent racial abuse.

Of course, FIFA is so shallow its not difficult to find any of their many inadequacies. Should we talk about politics and football, Putin, should we talk about religion and football Quatar, human rights abuse, anti homosexual, anti women stance or should we look at the obvious issue of corruption of thousands of millions of pounds, money taken from companies such as Coca Cola, MacDonalds, Ford et al clearly these huge sums were not properly accounted for and therefore were not correctly appropriated in taxes, is that not political.

Across the world poppies are worn as respect not for a tory or a liberal government that took us to war but for those who died or were maimed. FIFA is not fit for purpose why no break away organisations, why no attacks from the FA, because the corruption is so deep rooted that they are all on the gravy train at our expense! There is no morality, even the head of the FA tacitly defended Rooneys behaviour of being drunk and gatecrashing a wedding 12 hours before training, for which he failed to show due and injury.

I am Brighton through and through and believe that our club attempts to do the right thing in the way in which it conducts its business, but there is too much about the whole football environment that is vile and tawdry.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't think it matters what happened previously, times change, moods change and how we choose to commemorate certain events do too and the FA appear to have the overwhelming support of fans, clubs and players in honouring Remembrance Day in this way. And if Remembrance Sunday is political then so was the minute's silence to remember the victims of terror attacks in France last year.

I don't think we need too much lecturing on political grandstanding from an organisation that puts a higher price on protecting its advertising rights than blatant and persistent racial abuse.

Minute silence, yes. Yes! Although whoever said 'pay the fine and again next year', oh, sorry it was you, Buzzer - no No and NO!. Let Fifa take us to court. The poppy is NOT a political symbol (any more than the 3 lions is a political symbol). If it is political then what is it in favour of? England? Not with the jocks all wearing one. No, it is 'remembrance'. That includes remembrance of the dead Germans. FIFA can do one. The FA can ignore the fine. Then what? The FA has money and smells better that FIFA so let's see who blinks first.

To add, my dad fought in the war and the poppy thing meant little to him, and I am not keen on the 'poppies on telly a month before, or else' culture we now have. No, this is all about FIFA and the fact that there is no limit to their cockishness, and inability to understand anything, or manage anything, other than their own swiss bank accounts (and even that, not well).

Grrrr!!!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
W@nkers - FIFA can go screw themselves frankly - just a bunch of criminals anyway.

EDIT - #disbandFIFA

Last edited:

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Given the rules, how can ANY nation wear national colours or fly flags. Even the Swiss flag is a Christian symbol. Many Muslim countries have crescents on them, Israel often fly the star of David. This is farcical even by Fifa standards.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Given the rules, how can ANY nation wear national colours or fly flags. Even the Swiss flag is a Christian symbol. Many Muslim countries have crescents on them, Israel often fly the star of David. This is farcical even by Fifa standards.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The George Cross in the Maltese flag too.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
To be fair FIFA are just scum, always have been, always will be. A bunch of criminals making themselves a nice nest egg. Remove the top criminal and replace him with another. This is one untouchable organisation.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
FIFA have handed out fines to Brazil and Chile after supporters were heard making homophobic chants at matches, while Argentina were among eight other nations sanctioned by the body for 'insulting chants'.

The governing body fined the Brazilian Football Confederation 25,000 Swiss Francs (CHF) ($33,000AUD) after fans were overheard making offensive chants during their match against Bolivia in October, while Chile received a CHF15,000 ($20,000AUD) fine as a result of chants during their game against Peru.

This marks the seventh time that Chile has been given a fine for such an offence, having received a one-match ban from playing at Santiago's Estadio Nacional Julio Martinez Pradanos last month as a result of supporters committing the infringement during a probation period imposed by FIFA afte rprevious objectionable behaviour.

In a statement released by FIFA, the body confirmed that Argentina, Albania, Croatia, Estonia, Iran, Kosovo, Paraguay and Ukraine were also docked varying amounts.

-------------

Good to see they have their priorities correct.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Except FIFA fined the Irish for wearing shirts celebrating the Easter Rising of 1916 which opposed the British Army. Kind of undermines your argument there.

Not really.

"The Poppy is used to remember victims of other conflicts since 1945 and this is where the problem starts for me.

For people from the North of Ireland such as myself, and specifically those in Derry, scene of the 1972 Bloody Sunday massacre, the poppy has come to mean something very different"

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Not really.

"The Poppy is used to remember victims of other conflicts since 1945 and this is where the problem starts for me.

For people from the North of Ireland such as myself, and specifically those in Derry, scene of the 1972 Bloody Sunday massacre, the poppy has come to mean something very different"

Those same people in Derry would have supported the ideals of the Easter Rising which involved killing British soldiers. FIFA fined the Irish FA for comemmorating it, therefore they do not agree with McLean's view. This again undermines your original argument.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here