Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Still, at least we'll gain another estate agent on a prime site. Can never have too many of those eh? :rolleyes:

Hartleys could be moving, off licence on the Beaconsfield stretch shut down ages ago and there's been a sign saying Hartleys opening soon (been there for months).

Makes no odds to me really as I'm cutting down :)blush: ... cough)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
RIP Hartleys offie @ bottom of Preston Drove - stock and stuff being moved out even as we post :cry: :tantrum:

They just moved out of the one in Worthing (Broadwater) too.. Shame as did have some good beers. Findon one is still there I think ?

Jul 7, 2003
Anyone tried the beers from the Norwegian brewery Lervig? While in a little taproom in Germany last week I was introduced to their Passion Tang - a very refreshing Passion Fruit Sour but with a 7% kick behind it. Needless to say, I popped into Trafalgar Wines on Saturday and asked Steve if he had any. No surprise in that place to find that after a quick trip to the back room, a few bottle appeared - the man is amazing.

I also tried their Liquid Sex Robot DIPA (7.9%). I don't usually like DIPAs but this was very smooth and not too hoppy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone tried the beers from the Norwegian brewery Lervig? While in a little taproom in Germany last week I was introduced to their Passion Tang - a very refreshing Passion Fruit Sour but with a 7% kick behind it. Needless to say, I popped into Trafalgar Wines on Saturday and asked Steve if he had any. No surprise in that place to find that after a quick trip to the back room, a few bottle appeared - the man is amazing.

I also tried their Liquid Sex Robot DIPA (7.9%). I don't usually like DIPAs but this was very smooth and not too hoppy.

I’ve had quite a few of their beers over the years including that DIPA. Decent brewery.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If the flip side of it is Neck Oil at the Amex then i think the good news outweighs the bad here...!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Can't see Sodexo going for it, margin would be to small or we'd be paying £8+ a pint

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Probably the worst kept secret in the industry but Beavertown have sold a minority stake to Heineken.

https://www.beavertownbrewery.co.uk/brave-new-world-beaverworld/

Personally happy to give it a chance and see how it goes but many CBW's will be drain pouring their stocks of Beavertown tonight I suspect

As compared to most of the global beer companies, Heineken generally has a good track record of keeping its hands off the brewing process with companies it buys into, so long as the company concerned keeps making money for them.

What they bring to Beavertown is a virtually unrivalled global distribution network. Whether the inevitable increase in demand this will bring about will force them to cut corners with brewing remains to be seen, but in that area as well Heineken have been known to put their money where their mouth is and stump up for the costs of brewery expansion.

Yes, they are a corporate multinational, but I trust them a lot more than I trust AB InBev* and some of the lesser majors.

*Then again, since I trust AB InBev not one iota, that isn't necessarily saying much...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As compared to most of the global beer companies, Heineken generally has a good track record of keeping its hands off the brewing process with companies it buys into, so long as the company concerned keeps making money for them.

Unfortunately Heineken also have a reputation for aggressively pricing Heineken if you take one of their ‘Craft’ beers to for pubs. As well as actively paying pubs to remove competitors from their taps.

I.e we will pay you x per month to take Heineken and Neck Oil to replace your Punk IPA.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Loving Brewdog Hazy Jane at the moment! So drinkable in this weather

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fourpure have now sold 100% of their business to Kirin.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not the worst deal in the world but yeah not great.

Agree.I guess it’s inevitable as craft becomes more mainstream. I still plan to support independent brewers so, where I can, I’ll give this a swerve from now on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What’s the view of the new Holler Brewery and Tap Room?

My view is that it’s a nice space, the link with Fatton a Mano pizzas really good, beers are okay but nothing outstanding. From what I’ve heard they don’t have any brewing history which explains why I had never heard the name before and possibly why the beer is a bit average.

I wish them well though, they have a brilliant set up and infrastructure....hopefully the beer will follow.

Jul 7, 2003
What’s the view of the new Holler Brewery and Tap Room?

My view is that it’s a nice space, the link with Fatton a Mano pizzas really good, beers are okay but nothing outstanding. From what I’ve heard they don’t have any brewing history which explains why I had never heard the name before and possibly why the beer is a bit average.

I wish them well though, they have a brilliant set up and infrastructure....hopefully the beer will follow.

I was there before you on Saturday and had the same feeling. Good setup , the outside heaters work well, but the beer is pretty average and not much variety. If you don't like their beer then they don't have much else (one red wine, one white wine, limited spirits and nothing from other breweries). If you have an extensive range of beers then you can get away with only stocking your own stuff but in their case, they should invite another local brewer with a different range to help fill in the gaps.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here