Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor at it again

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Think you're in a minority there. I love seeing Palace lose, nothing manufactured about it for me.

And though I also despise Portsmouth, and am revelling in their extended spell in the mickey mouse leagues, they are absolutely not our rivals. Their rivalry is and always has been Southampton. There is nothing sadder than a club pretending that they're the main rivals to another club who couldn't give a toss about them - now that IS manufactured.

E.g. Coventry City with Villa, Leicester, Birmingham

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Charlton have a pseudo rivalry with Palace, but most Palace only give it passing interest... we are their rivals, its 2 way..... nobody else comes close.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

So who is Leicester's main rival then? And please don't say Forest or Derby as its not true. Your highlighted point from Easy 10's post might have just bitten you on the bum..

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
So who is Leicester's main rival then? And please don't say Forest or Derby as its not true. Your highlighted point from Easy 10's post might have just bitten you on the bum..

Do you really think Leicester see Coventry as their main rival? Not in my experience they don't. Whether Derby or Forest reciprocate it is irrelevant.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

other suggestions for "manufactured" rivalries?? Leeds/man Utd.. Bristol City/Cardiff City.. Middlesboro vs. anyone else in the North East.. has to be more than just the two sets of fans not liking each other??

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Cowfold Seagull;7754301[B said:
]It's never interested me either, Pompey are our traditional rivals.Unfortunately we haven't played them in the league for about 150 years though.
Pompey fans would piss themselves now if they read that, they don't give us a second thought.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's never interested me either, Pompey are our traditional rivals. Unfortunately we haven't played them in the league for about 150 years though.

Err...we played them in the League in 2012.

And they're NOT our traditional rivals. They have only ever been rivals with Southampton, we're barely on their radar. Hence - not rivals.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Not really. Most older Albion fans also say the rivalry with Palace is a manufactured one. I've certainly never been fussed about their results

As BG points out, the real rivalry is with Portsmouth #twats

You miss the point, I think. It's far from manufactured. The rivalry may have not existed before the 70s but it occurred naturally and is very real. To claim that it's manufactured i.e. not real is a blatant lie.

In fact, the idea to me that Pompey are rivals is the real definition of a manufactured rivalry. They hate Southampton and vice versa, we barely register with them and likewise, most Brighton fans, myself included, don't give a stuff for them.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Going back to the 50s the rivalry was us and Portsmouth and Southampton with Bournemouth. Palace were never even mentioned either for or against.

The rivalry between Southampton and Portsmouth goes back decades, nay centuries, and is about much more than football. Football is just a recent and convenient manifestation of it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Naylor clearly wasn't in any way following the Albion in the mid seventies. If he had been he wouldn't be writing such bollocks. Has he be liaising with that Johnny Come Lately "Gullhanger" lapsed Arsenal fan journalist, who has thankfully flown off into the sunset.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I reckon about 60 is the youngest cut off age to possibly cling onto the "Pompey are our true rivals" delusion. Don't want to be unkind to individuals but it smacks of some sort of Harry Enfield character behaviour.

I wish with every bone in my body for Palace to keep losing and go down but unfortunately they have a number of very winnable home fixtures left and the bottom 3 are also set on helping them survive with a very low points total.

Compensation for Palace staying up will come when we can get up, strengthen, and then help relegate them.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
other suggestions for "manufactured" rivalries?? Leeds/man Utd.. Bristol City/Cardiff City.. Middlesboro vs. anyone else in the North East.. has to be more than just the two sets of fans not liking each other??

There is a distinct difference between local rivals and arch rivals. All games with the likes of Pompey and Stains do have something a bit extra, because of proximity semi local bragging rights, whatever but arch rivals is a different kettle of fish, it's do or die for fans, it's the first looked for and most important fixtures in the season for fans, for us Stains games have some added significance to say playing Preston, but it doesn't get the juices flowing like Palace, losing isn't as painful, winning not as euphoric. Leeds v Man u, Leicester derby/forest are good local rivalries they don't get near to the intensity of match day with reciprocated arch rivals.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't have an issue with AN's comments. It's only a throwaway line, and it is an opinion piece, so he gives his. Just because some of might not share his viewpoint doesn't make him any less of a journalist.

Personally I loathe Palace, wish they lose every game, and won't watch MoTD if they have won..............which means I have watched a lot of MoTD in the last 12 months.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Charlton have a pseudo rivalry with Palace, but most Palace only give it passing interest... we are their rivals, its 2 way..... nobody else comes close.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

All down to a rather feisty FA Cup game in the early 1970's, refereed by a certain Mr. R. Challis, (Ron to his mates).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As BG points out, the real rivalry is with Portsmouth #twats
.....although I don't remember being in the same division as Portsmouth all that often!

I too remember the days 'before Palace'. There were certainly clashes in the 70s which got, how shall we say, a bit tasty (not that there wasn't quite a lot of fighting going on at football matches back then, not just with Palace; the Palace clashes were nasty, though). So not entirely manufactured by any means, but certainly hugely 'bigged up' by The Sun! I guess after 40 years us old-timers will have to accept it, though I personally am not that bothered about it - I always preferred to chat with other football fans, not to fight them, and I'm too old to change now (too old to fight, to be honest, too!).

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Personally I loathe Palace, wish they lose every game, and won't watch MoTD if they have won..............which means I have watched a lot of MoTD in the last 12 months.
When they first started losing all the time I watched a few on MOTD. This season I find it too irritating that they can be so crap and yet are still odds on to stay up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here