Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Southern Trains Most of Next Week -but will probably still be rubbish on the other days

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A third of a million people can't service London's commercial needs for one entire working week?

The army will/won't provide replacement bus services for those third of a million people for that week?

Something's going to give next week. And it won't be pretty. But it may well be conclusive. Can't run a supposedly first-world country this way indefinitely. Or indeed for very long.

I don't see why anything will change. The government has no interest in backing down, they want to make political capital out of crushing the unions and they know that no matter how bad it gets - even if the government gets blamed - True Blue Sussex and Surrey will continue to vote for them. SASTA can't settle the dispute as the government won't let them. And the unions seem set for the long haul ... and even if they call off the strikes, the overtime ban causes mayhem anyway.

I can't see any change in the situation for months. I'm glad I work from home these days

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So could it be that if Southern and all concerned have no trains available for the next home match the Army will step in with the transport? Sounds great, I've always fancied getting to the Amex in a Challenger tank. :cool:

Personally have booked the Chinook helipad for £120. Includes free programme :thumbsup:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Boo.

Kyboshes me watching Leeds v Derby in a Brighton pub.

:nono:

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
I don't see why anything will change. The government has no interest in backing down, they want to make political capital out of crushing the unions and they know that no matter how bad it gets - even if the government gets blamed - True Blue Sussex and Surrey will continue to vote for them. SASTA can't settle the dispute as the government won't let them. And the unions seem set for the long haul ... and even if they call off the strikes, the overtime ban causes mayhem anyway.

I think this is the crux of the matter. If there was an election in the near future they might be worried but with no election until 2020, they know that nobody is going to be remember this by the time they have to vote, so they can continue crushing the unions with no political impact.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So could it be that if Southern and all concerned have no trains available for the next home match the Army will step in with the transport? Sounds great, I've always fancied getting to the Amex in a Challenger tank. :cool:
I'd love to see an army presence at the AMEX.

Just imagine the amount of mercy killings they'll feel duty bound to carry out on all the melts with their first world problems.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
My company doesn't let me work from home anymore and has been moaning about being late. I have no other choice but to make it to London Bridge and back. Probably wont be putting the little one to bed next week then!

Genuinely baffles me how bosses can be anything less than sympathetic with their staff when you being late is clearly, demonstrably, out of your hands.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
No way should the army even contemplate getting their hands dirty on this one. It's not like the firemen's strike. Nobody's life or property is in danger. Only their livelihood, family life and mental health.

You're correct. Nothing important is in danger.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
You mean that the Transport Minister for her Majesty's GOVERNMENT might actually do some GOVERNING? I'll believe it when I see it.

I would like to put in a quick shout out to Chris Grayling if I may.
You are a slimy, lying, odious w*****.
Even during the GE & Brexit he twisted and turned like a twisty turney thing.
I proper hate him and as Transport Minister he is yet again showing what a vacuous turd he is.
Weak and ineffective in everything he does, if I ever saw him I would poke him in the eye, he makes my piss boil.

el punal

I would like to put in a quick shout out to Chris Grayling if I may.
You are a slimy, lying, odious w*****.
Even during the GE & Brexit he twisted and turned like a twisty turney thing.
I proper hate him and as Transport Minister he is yet again showing what a vacuous turd he is.
Weak and ineffective in everything he does, if I ever saw him I would poke him in the eye, he makes my piss boil.

He wasn't your secret Santa, was he? :D

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I just can't believe the union officials who proudly state how much the public is behind them and thanks them for their support. Gets none from me.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Nice. Another £102 saved as I won't have to buy a weekly ticket. Thanks Southern, you're making me richer!

How is it a saving, do you not have to pay for other transport? Just curious, and NOSEY!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Ernest, seriously, how do you see this mess ending, someone has to give in sooner or later and the government don't seem to want to know.
Could this really just go on and on?
It seems to me that the longer it does the more the unions will not want to lose face (not that I am against them)
I know it does not affect me directly and you all have my sympathy but it is now nothing short of a total and embarrassing very unfunny joke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here