Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gerrard to Newcastle....2 nd place it is then!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Gerrard has not been all that in the US has he ?

Downward spiral now, probably not for us.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A chip off the old block is your son BG - Some right ''off the wall'' ideas all relating to players who seem to be past their prime

Never become a fisherman BG (Nets are not wide enough) - Never become a singer (repertoire of songs is not expansive enough). Never become a Gigolo (---Fill in as appropriate----)

I jest of course but I think the recruitment team will be casting their net much wider given that they know the market much better than any of us do

As I said I am sure that either would give odd moments of joy showing their class but for not long or often enough so probably an expensive experiment or chance to take.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As I said I am sure that either would give odd moments of joy showing their class but for not long or often enough so probably an expensive experiment or chance to take.

Not when you are looking for auto

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Gerrard has not been all that in the US has he ?

Downward spiral now, probably not for us.

Well said.
Why would we even want SG, he's just a big name from a football time that's gone.
He wouldn't bring anything to us, apart from high wages and unwanted press coverage .
Didn't do too much in Trumpland :cool:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
They've both had their big final pay days, why don't they just retire from playing and do something noble. After all, it's not like either of them will ever need to work again

Because the money is longef that important to them and they love playing football ?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
They've both had their big final pay days, why don't they just retire from playing and do something noble. After all, it's not like either of them will ever need to work again

Possibly because they enjoy playing football and they know that whatever they do next will never replace the buzz of putting their boots on and playing on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon and so they want to keep playing while they still can.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I would have thought if Liverpool are in the title hunt still in January, Gerrard on something like a pay-as-you-play basis with some kind of future coaching role at the club lined up would be a possibility. Gerrard's about the same age as Gary McAllister when they signed him under Gerard Houllier and he made quite an impact for them when he was selected.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Five months older than Bruno!

We'd better sign David Villa then !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I would have thought if Liverpool are in the title hunt still in January, Gerrard on something like a pay-as-you-play basis with some kind of future coaching role at the club lined up would be a possibility. Gerrard's about the same age as Gary McAllister when they signed him under Gerard Houllier and he made quite an impact for them when he was selected.

Can't see SG being up to the pace of the prem now and being able to contribute to a possible title push.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Can't see SG being up to the pace of the prem now and being able to contribute to a possible title push.

Not if he was playing every week, no. Playing 1 game out of every 3 however or coming on as an impact sub could be very different. He's only 36, which is a fair bit younger than Ryan Giggs or Paul Scholes were when they were still in the squad when Manchester United won their last Premier League title in 2013 and he's also younger than Didier Drogba would have been when he was in the Chelsea squad that won the title 2 years ago. The experience those players offer even if they're not playing every game are going to be invaluable to players less used to being in that position.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that SG or FL would be great to have on the bench and come on if needed for 20 mins to add their experience to calm down any hectic moments and see out a game, but at what cost?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here