Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] World T20 - England vs South Africa

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Wow I can't believe we won that
Ditto. Was in cinema so missed all the Saffers innings, thought 230 was beyond us. Amazing result given the fact that if we lost we would be as good as dead.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Roooooooooooooot

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Well done wides, 4th highest scorer with 20. England effectively got a free run per over so were really chasing a mere 209

It must be hard for a bowler in 20/20 though, knowing that anything in the conventional middle and off corridor is likely to get launched straight back over your head!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Great result. Pity the team did not have the support of those early on the thread. Cricket has really changed and seemingly huge totals are chaseable with the modern bats and boundaries so close to the wicket. It is not fun to be a bowler !!!!!

I stick by anything I said in the first half by the way. We did bowl and field abysmally (again) and we don't take T20 cricket seriously as a nation as evidenced by our piss poor domestic T20 competition and if we do well in this tournament it will be despite that.

What we do have is a batting lineup capable of winning any game on its own (Farbrace/ Bayliss have to take some credit here for getting the selection right at last.) However, due to their relative lack of experience (see point above about not taking T20 cricket seriously) I think they're better off chasing rather than setting and bizarrely enough, the magnitude of the score in this game almost took the pressure off them.

Furthermore, as poor as our bowling was South Africa's was atrocious. We played Tahir intelligently.

It'll be interesting to see how England go in more typically sub continental conditions, I think the seamers were picked with that more in mind (Willey's swing, Topley's cutters and Jordan's supposed ability to bowl the yorker.) However, I'm not totally sure about our ability to get after spin with the bat.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Excellent win. New Zealand next. I think we may lose that one.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
A place in the final!!! :clap2:

sorry, I just remembered this, and it was true, but maybe the IPL don't mean Jack other than to your bank account!

We've done well, despite rather than because of our domestic 20/20 competition. We've got some serious players, that was never in doubt.

I'd love to beat India in the final to ram your point home though.

Today was the most complete performance I have ever seen from an England one day side in 30 odd years of watching cricket. An utter joy. If we play that well again and lose, it'll be the best match ever.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I really want us to win because since the launch of the IPL the Indians have sucked at T20. Similar to Aussies who have sucked for the entire life of t20 and even more so since big bash!

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
New Zealand are a very decent team with some of the best cricketers around. They play with a great attitude and for England to blow them away like that was nothing short of remarkable. One more decent performance and they will be World Champions. With death bowling like that I am ready to believe!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here