Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

URGENT - Building work being undertaken without consent

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Any update [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]

Well, first things first, I want to thank everyone who contributed, even those who were less than supportive.

The work has been finished, a friend of mine enlisted his dad (a reputable builder you can find on Checkatrade) to meet my guy yesterday morning and have a word with him about pricing and the tactics he employed to get the job. It's very safe to say that my dads mate isn't the type of bloke you quickly argue with, but there wasn't anything unpleasant said or done. The work was finished under supervision and a revised price was charged for all of the work. It's all been finished and we've paid up what we think is fairer than the builder himself thinks is fair. He's been reported to Trading Standards local to where the business is/was located for their follow up, and he's vowed not to contact us again.

In the meantime, I've got to give a lot of time and thought to how we're going to be able to finance the rest of the restoration work which needs to be done. I'm taking a positive out of this mess, and that is my dad is consciously aware of what work needs doing on the house. I'm not going into our circumstances (although some have raced to an assumption we had a choice and chose not to do anything about it), but it's fair to say it's brought the issue into more focus and it will lead to the house being improved.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I'm also pleased to hear things have worked out ok. Good luck sorting the rest of it out. I have to say I've also liked seeing fellow posters supporting a fellow fan in need, good to see.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Well, first things first, I want to thank everyone who contributed, even those who were less than supportive.

The work has been finished, a friend of mine enlisted his dad (a reputable builder you can find on Checkatrade) to meet my guy yesterday morning and have a word with him about pricing and the tactics he employed to get the job. It's very safe to say that my dads mate isn't the type of bloke you quickly argue with, but there wasn't anything unpleasant said or done. The work was finished under supervision and a revised price was charged for all of the work. It's all been finished and we've paid up what we think is fairer than the builder himself thinks is fair. He's been reported to Trading Standards local to where the business is/was located for their follow up, and he's vowed not to contact us again.

In the meantime, I've got to give a lot of time and thought to how we're going to be able to finance the rest of the restoration work which needs to be done. I'm taking a positive out of this mess, and that is my dad is consciously aware of what work needs doing on the house. I'm not going into our circumstances (although some have raced to an assumption we had a choice and chose not to do anything about it), but it's fair to say it's brought the issue into more focus and it will lead to the house being improved.

A blessing in disguise then. At least it wasn't a cowboy job, the work had to be done, and any future work is an investment that will see a return. As long as your dad hasn't been talked into writing a Will instructing that all his assets will be going to a cat charity :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sounds good, happy days.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Excellent outcome, well played that man! :thumbsup:

It'a a clear wake-up call though. It would still be wise to put some safeguards in place with your dad's bank, to prevent any future chancers being able to coerce large withdrawals from the account without additional checks being made, and an additional signature (yours) required for the cheque to go through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here