Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Rowett sacked / Nathan Jones **NOW CONFIRMED AS REPLACEMENT**

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Stoke are "Prem Ready" and not too far off the playoffs at this moment in time.

They're eight points off - with Villa, Swansea and Hull all boosted by parachute payments between them and glory (as well as heavily backed Forest). Yes, they could make the play-offs but would probably need 2 points a game to do it - I'm not sure they have the squad to do that.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
A side step, from a club with crowds of 9,000 in a hideous stadium that you have to walk through somebody's house to get into, with little money for squad improvements, who *might* be in the Championship next season, to a club with crowds of 25,000 in a decent stadium, bags of money, one of the strongest squads in the Championship (even if they are underperforming), who *might* be in the Premier league next season? Who are probably quadrupling his salary?

If that's a sideways move, then I can't wait to see what you think a forward one is.

You obviously have a dislike for Luton ... I just think he had a better chance of a long term future with Luton , just my opinion , Stoke could well be the next Birmingham or Villa given the money they have already spent IF (and looks likely so far) they dont get promotion this season or at the least next ... FFP will kick in and reality hit them although I admit Stoke have been somewhat 'frugal' in the past its still going to hurt them unless they get that golden ticket

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I remember an early season game away at Southend. This young welsh lad ran the game. I was thrilled a while later when we signed him. Always a little welsh b'stard. Very unusual to see a side in the top two divisions trade a lower tier manager 'up'. Good luck to him.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
However NJ should also take careful note about how the fortunes of Gary Rowett turned out, who made a name for himself in his first managerial job at Burton and moved on to a bigger club and look what’s happened to him since !

Or, he could take careful note of a manager who started out at East Stirlingshire, then moved to a bigger club in Aberdeen, and then made the further leap to a bigger club still and went on to be the most successful manager in Premier League history.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Come on..... Better prospects, bigger club, bigger challenge, higher salary, better players, bigger stadium and a promising future... why would Nathan turn down the opportunity to take on a challenge like Stoke City? Apart from the city being a shithole (as is Luton) the only risk would be to his pride should things turn sour.
Most managers in most walks of life would have done what Nathan has. It's called ambition my friends.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’m sure most on here can sympathise with the pain Luton fans will be feeling right now because it happened to us when we were the small club. I can remember how gutted I was when we lost Mickey Adams to Leicester after everything he’d done to turn us around on the pitch and also before Poyet lost the plot and started pimping himself out to other clubs many people were equally concerned we’d lose him to a bigger club. A manager will always take an opportunity to progress their career and loyalty will go out of the window, and NJ is just the next person on that treadmill. However NJ should also take careful note about how the fortunes of Gary Rowett turned out, who made a name for himself in his first managerial job at Burton and moved on to a bigger club and look what’s happened to him since !

Ye got Birmingham into a good position and they sacked him because they wanted a 'name'....who can blame a manager for moving knowing how quickly fans/owners change there tune

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
The more I think about it the more I think it's a smart move for Nathan.

Stoke fans have had to suffer some of the most dour, charisma-free managers over the last few years (Lambert, Hughes) as well as some dire, percentages football (Rowett, Pulis). If NJ picks up some good results early on, I think he'll get the crowd right on his side. Luton played good, attacking football under him and, with more of the same, this season isn't yet a write-off.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Come on..... Better prospects, bigger club, bigger challenge, higher salary, better players, bigger stadium and a promising future... why would Nathan turn down the opportunity to take on a challenge like Stoke City? Apart from the city being a shithole (as is Luton) the only risk would be to his pride should things turn sour.
Most managers in most walks of life would have done what Nathan has. It's called ambition my friends.

Managers ..players...its the game ...and those same Luton supporters who are venting against Jones...will be wanting a good manager who is possibly at another club and wont be bothered who those fans will feel

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You obviously have a dislike for Luton

I really have no strong feelings one way or the other about them. However, it's a fairly commonly held thought that Kenilworth Road is one of the worst grounds in the entire League, and will always limit Luton's ambition until such time as they finally get permission, money and wherewithal to build a new stadium. How do I know this? Years of sitting in the pissing rain at Withdean, knowing that any player, any player at all (or manager) who showed the slightest whiff of talent, would inevitably leave us for every single club in the leagues above, and many in our own league. That is what Luton are competing with. They presumably cannot pay massive wages, and I daresay Jones has probably earned himself a huge pay rise by this move.

Football is such a short term business. He's thinking in exactly the same terms as Micky Adams did, as Bobby Zamora did, as the aforementioned Sidwell and Ingimarsson did when offered the choice of a continued stay at the Albion or the chance of an immediate move to a club with more going for it *at that time* than the Albion. Footballers often can't afford to hang around, in case something goes wrong and their value drops. Right now, Jones' value is sky high as the Hatters have been on a red hot run of form. Give it another three months and that could have changed, and the sort of job he fancied was no longer available. Who can blame him for looking at the here and now?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Managers ..players...its the game ...and those same Luton supporters who are venting against Jones...will be wanting a good manager who is possibly at another club and wont be bothered who those fans will feel

Spot on. Half the Luton fans calling Jones a snake this afternoon are, in separate tweets, urging their club to go after the Cowley brothers at Lincoln :lolol:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I remember an early season game away at Southend. This young welsh lad ran the game. I was thrilled a while later when we signed him. Always a little welsh b'stard. Very unusual to see a side in the top two divisions trade a lower tier manager 'up'. Good luck to him.

Locally this issue is with the board,Scholes and Mark Cartwright as to date nothing has changed.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Precisely!

And more than likely will end up with a manager that is currently employed elsewhere!
I don't get the vitriol. It happens all the time.
I believe it's known as being a victim of success. God knows, we've been there enough times!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He's kept his flat in Tongdean Lane. He used to rent it out to the club for players.

Do you think he thinks that one day he'll be back??? If he makes a fair fist of it, in 5 years time....who knows, eh? ??? :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Do you think he thinks that one day he'll be back??? If he makes a fair fist of it, in 5 years time....who knows, eh? ??? :lolol:

He has said, in the past, that he loves Brighton. He bought that flat way back when he played for us, and rented it to the club when he went to Yeovil.
It doesn't mean he is coming back to manage us at any time, although it wouldn't surprise me if he did.
Mark McGhee still lives here.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Fair point,until like many the Leeds United tag is pinned on them.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
He has said, in the past, that he loves Brighton. He bought that flat way back when he played for us, and rented it to the club when he went to Yeovil.
It doesn't mean he is coming back to manage us at any time, although it wouldn't surprise me if he did.
Mark McGhee still lives here.
So does Liam Brady I believe

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Does going to Stoke rule out a return to BRIGHTON? If he fails in his efforts at Stoke surely if Hughton ever moved on we would be looking for a bigger fish. If he is successful at Stoke and Stoke became a Premier league Club surely he would be at a club as big, if not bigger than Brighton ( let's face it they are bigger and have more history) In my opinion he probably will not manage our club because if he becomes successful we are not big enough to tempt him away but if he fails we probably wouldn't consider him anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here