Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Question for those with a water meter

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
I shall be phoning them on Monday. This must be wrong!
It's just 3 of us using water and i'm at work 5 days a week. Alright my teenage granddaughter practically lives in the bathroom but it still can't be that high.

Three of us in my house and I pay £50 a month so sounds about right.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Call them out and say you think you have a leak, don’t think it should be spinning .We had someone out to look at ours from SWA. They are pretty helpful afterwards sent out an advisor who checked all the toilets and taps and showers in the house. They put replacement parts on the taps and showers to reduce water usage. All done free.

Good advice. I would have wrongly presumed that they would have said the homeowners responsibilty to trace it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks all,

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Good advice. I would have wrongly presumed that they would have said the homeowners responsibilty to trace it.
Yes our rates shot up from £80 to £100 a month so they thought we must have a leak. Unfortunately none found just a heavy usage house 5 people. When they worked it out by the number of showers/baths toilet flushing was about right. That’s when they sent around an advisor who fitted the water saving devices, which reduce the flow. They test each tap and shower for flow rate.

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
If you have a high bill switch all the water in the house off. If the meter is still spinning you have a leak.

Southern water picked ours up as our bill was high, it turns out it was a leak between the meter and the house, they fixed it but we had to pay a £250 connection charge to the threshold. Southern water were happy to fix it as the pipe from the street to the house was lead and they are trying to get rid of lead. The surveyer reckoned that 1 in 3 with water meters may have a leak.

All that said we were losing a litre a minute and they still took 6 weeks to fix it....They did reset my bill though going back 2 years so I got a nice credit

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here