Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Dry January [and beyond...]

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I’m going for a completely dry* January from Jan the 6th and then a very dry** February and March and a bit of April until the Brighton Marathon.

* no booze at all
** only allowed for very special occasions

Hoping to lose a few KG and get a PB at the BM

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've been reasonably lucky in that I've never suffered from hangovers. In my youth, I put it down to downing a pint of water before going to bed if I'd had a skinfull on a night out.

However, in my 20s, I began to worry about how much I was drinking, so I kept a diary to shock myself and have drunk moderately ever since.

I have tried all sorts of things around diet and drinking to see if it makes a difference to my general health and concluded that exercise is the only thing that matters as long as everything else is done in moderation.

I also have friends and relations who run pubs, and dry January is a killer for them!

Hence I have never even considered having a forced month off, January or any other. From time to time I have large gaps between drinking alcohol, but that's down to circumstance rather than planning.

Also, my wife makes a mean cocktail and Harveys / Dark Star / Long Man breweries make exceptionally good ales and deserve to succeed.

I understand that there's many good reasons to consider dealing with eating and drinking issues, but for the most of us, it really shouldn't be something to consume our thoughts and turn into a target. Just enjoy life. That said, I'll support anyone who thinks it's necessary, as that's often the hardest step with a problem.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Some Afghan poppy growers make some exceptionally good heroin and deserve to succeed too yes? I am being flippant, but alcohol is literally the only intoxicating drug in which your comment is seen as appropriate.

I wouldn't apply the comment to heroin, but there's plenty of recreational drugs that I would, if that helps.

Unfortunately, the legality or otherwise of drugs in this country is also a total mess!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Early days but how’s everyone getting on ? Was tempted on Wednesday whilst watching the match but I didn’t give in. Also packed in the fags so far so good for me !

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
My record was 8 p.m. on 3rd day of similar attempts, I'm still on it as at 2 p.m. on the 4th, small victory but a victory nevertheless.

It's shows what the constant media and talking about it does, many a time I'd go three or four days without even realising I hadn't had a drink!

Big test away at Bournemouth tomorrow ... but have just volunteered to drive so circumvented that temptation nicely.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Have to say the way some people calculate the amount they drink staggers me, a guy I DRINK WITH (or do now but have soda & lime) saw my unit calculation and was staggered by the amount .... and I know he drinks more than I do as I witness it twice a bloody week and know he goes to the pub daily! When I suggested that I know he drinks at least four pints a day he denied it!

I calculated, in a busy business social related week, it to be around 16 pints a week, plus 8 glasses of wine. Now I know that's a lot but it's factually correct, and sometimes much less, but apparently I'm in the top 10% of drinkers? I'd say an average week would still be 8 pints and a couple of glasses of wine.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
was on upwards of 30 pints a week with 2 or 3 bottles of red chucked in ......that's a pretty realistic average over the last 35 years , don't get me started on the late 80's shenanigans and the bugle so i am giving myself a rest for as long as i can put up with it ......4 days clear ...!!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I've never had an issue with dropping alcohol at the drop of a hat. I can enjoy it but it's never been any kind of necessity.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
This thread reminds me of the old joke about how can you tell whether someone is a vegan; don't worry, give them 10 minutes and they'll tell you. Nothing worse than being out with friends and someone rains on the parade by announcing how virtuous they've become with their lime and soda...

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'm doing it, and I've told nobody in person apart from the Missus and my Daughter - who both went "fizzy water with dinner.. are you ill ?" :glare:

Just met some friends at a pub and had an orange juice and lemonade. Compared to a lovely pint of craft ale it was crap, so don't think it's all fun, games and smiles not drinking... I can't be arsed telling anyone, so I don't.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ive decided to go for dry January this year, for a number of reasons, all of which are hard to admit, but this forum gives a certain amount of anonymity...

1. i have been suffering from Anxiety and depression and its come to a head recently, i don't think alcohol helps at all.
2. i have been using alcohol as a daily tool to relax me, rather than a social/recreational use.
3. when i go out drinking lately i can't seam to control how much i drink.
4. my brother has just survived cancer, so i though starting out with January using the "Dryathlon" for cancer research would help.
5. and probably most importantly, i became a father for the first time 6 months ago, i want to be fit and healthy for my little girl.

I am posting the link below to my Dryathlon page, i'm not asking for donations as such, it just feels like i have to stick to it if i've posted it on lots of social media etc.

https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/gaz-takes-on-dryathlon

Thanks for posting, and I really hope 5 helps with 1.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just signed up to this thanks to another member posting a link. I'm going to give it a go. I need to. Alcohol has become part of my daily (well, nightly) routine, and it can't be doing me any good at all.

https://www.alcoholexperiment.com/

Giving this a go (sadly the Drink Less app recommended in earlier posts is for Apple only). Happy to link on there Knocks'Nose if that will help - DM me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Day three here (Start delayed: wine in the fridge on the first).

[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] came round to watch to mine the West Ham game and said he'd persuade me to drink, but he ended up driving himself so we were both on the soft stuff.

It's been a fair old time since I last went three days without a drink.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here