Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Montoya

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Brilliant buy for me. Barcelona, Valencia, Inter, now Brighton, come on. [emoji41]
Getting better each week and as mentioned above, only his first half of a season with us and in the premier league.
Was absolutely hated at inter and Valencia tbf

Has done ok. I do think he's improving.

Think he did very well to stay at Barca so long and he's living off that stint now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Brilliant buy for me. Barcelona, Valencia, Inter, now Brighton, come on. [emoji41]
Getting better each week and as mentioned above, only his first half of a season with us and in the premier league.

And has been swapped in and out for Bruno until recently, so not had that much of a run until now. Seems to me that a few games on the trot are helping him.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Shorties on the right ..tallies on the left

It's all relative. Solly towers over Bernard

brightons_english_midfielder_solly_march_l_remonstrates_with_eve_1037091.jpg

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
The jury is out for me, I'm not convinced with his defending but for £5m he's a good addition.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I have to agree with this. He is obviously faster than Bruno but offers less defensively and offensively. Plus he is short. On the basis that this is probably Bruno's last season, i expect we will be in the market for another RB in the summer. Unless Balogun wants to give it a go?

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
I'm not entirely convinced about him to be honest. His crossing is atrocious, whilst he attempts them at least a couple times a game, has he put in a single dangerous cross for us at any point this season?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm not entirely convinced about him to be honest. His crossing is atrocious, whilst he attempts them at least a couple times a game, has he put in a single dangerous cross for us at any point this season?

hit a wonderful volleyed cross to Locadia in the 2nd half versus Everton

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
hit a wonderful volleyed cross to Locadia in the 2nd half versus Everton

Agree. Thought v Everton he did well on esp in the second half as that was down our side. Not the finished article, but can see the potential.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
As this is a transitional season for the summer signings, he looks pretty solid to me. It will be interesting though to see what CH does with Bruno for the Liverpool & Man U games.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think the issue with Montoya is that Bernardo has emerged as the first choice LB, who has far more flair and ability when going forward, and has more pace to recover defensively.

Montoya is steady and would no doubt excel in a Mourinho side where full backs are not allowed to progress beyond the halfway line.

In terms of Montoya's crossing, yes there is room to improve, but he is still adapting to this part of the game, given that very often his movement forward is to cut inside rather than go overlap the wide player.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep, fair point. Short memory :rolleyes: Still though, it's definitely an area of his game he needs to work on, far too often it's floated harmlessly into the keeper's hands.

That's true of the whole squad at the moment though (although hitting the first man is an ever bigger crime/occurrence than floating one to the keeper) - whilst we've seen a few decent crosses, they are far outweighed by the really poor ones. Bournemouth in particular was awful from both sides of the pitch.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

He also put in a delicious ball from deep for Gross' late chance against Liverpool, but your broader point is right, his crossing has been very poor. What gets me is that Solly tends to get the blame for it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think the issue with Montoya is that Bernardo has emerged as the first choice LB, who has far more flair and ability when going forward, and has more pace to recover defensively.

Montoya is steady and would no doubt excel in a Mourinho side where full backs are not allowed to progress beyond the halfway line.

In terms of Montoya's crossing, yes there is room to improve, but he is still adapting to this part of the game, given that very often his movement forward is to cut inside rather than go overlap the wide player.

Best post in this thread. Montoya has been overshadowed by Bernardo, who is a simply delightful player. Enjoy him while he lasts, because he's likely to get snapped up by a bigger club in the summer.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Best post in this thread. Montoya has been overshadowed by Bernardo, who is a simply delightful player. Enjoy him while he lasts, because he's likely to get snapped up by a bigger club in the summer.

In a way it's just as well he didn't score last night!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I was really pleased when we signed him, as we really needed a steady right back and unlike many of our signings he is already at peak age. We have though been spoilt with some superb attacking full backs and I would not be disappointed if we were to sign a promising young attack minded right back, especially as no one seems to have really grabbed this position in the U23s

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
As this is a transitional season for the summer signings, he looks pretty solid to me. It will be interesting though to see what CH does with Bruno for the Liverpool & Man U games.

Surely although CH is clearly reluctant to use new resources, he is, it appears beginning to do so up front and will have to do the same at full backs Clearly he can't go on playing BS and GM for ever so it is a good time to be promoting MM and FO & JL !

That said BS and GM have been terrific servants to the club and, I am sure, can play a significant part off the bench for some time to come .

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Just finding his feet and I think once his English is better I am sure his link up play will get better. Good solid signing but not owerwhelmed just yet. Future looks good though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here