Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why blame the ref for our ineptness?!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I can’t believe how many one eyed Brighton fans are blaming the referee for that when we’ve just been the second best team in the worst premier league game of football I’ve seen in 25 years of watching it.

Yes he gave some soft decisions but we were so naive, lunging in when we knew what he was going to do. And Stephens was a definite red card in todays game. More concerning was how poor we actually played the game before and after the red card.

We need to start looking closer to home, at our players and the manager. We have been shocking all season bar the United game. We’ve totaly forgotten how to pass be bloody football?!

Massive few weeks for Hughton. I’ve got every faith he will sort it but he does need to make some changes, fast.

A goal that should have been ruled out for offside (which turned out to be the winner) - Stephens challenge should have been a yellow, not a red and we would still have had 11 players on the pitch

And you think that had no influence on the outcome?

Our players getting fouled and getting nothing from it, when their players are challenged fairly and fall very very easily and they get awarded a free kick, (which allows them to bring players forward or disrupts your attacks) is of course going to have an impact and affect the performance

If we had been getting the decisions that Cardiff had been getting and they had been getting the decisions we got from the officials, i would have said that the ref had a big impact on the result and it would /could have been unfair on Cardiff had we won

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
seems that way .....he was turd , foul count 7-21 against us .....terrible , terrible refereeing.....

agree...all a Cardiff player had to do was throw himself to the ground. Izzie should have passed twice to Andone and we could have won it. Move on and get Gross back!

just took it out on the leaves in my garden......grrrr!

TNBA

TTF

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We were not great, but it is hard to win a game that the officials have, CLEARLY, been told to make the bottom of the premier league more interesting so that they can continue to sell the "product" for big bucks.

That is rubbish. We deserved what we got.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I can’t believe how many one eyed Brighton fans are blaming the referee for that when we’ve just been the second best team in the worst premier league game of football I’ve seen in 25 years of watching it.

Yes he gave some soft decisions but we were so naive, lunging in when we knew what he was going to do. And Stephens was a definite red card in todays game. More concerning was how poor we actually played the game before and after the red card.

We need to start looking closer to home, at our players and the manager. We have been shocking all season bar the United game. We’ve totaly forgotten how to pass be bloody football?!

Massive few weeks for Hughton. I’ve got every faith he will sort it but he does need to make some changes, fast.

Arse lickers can’t see what’s really happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Didn't see the game but annoys me when fans blame the ref. From what I was told izquierdo had a chance to pass to Andone to slot it home into an open net at 1-1 and he never passed it to him*?

Is that the refs fault?

*I do concede this may be incorrect info?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Ryan is above average
Dunk is above average
Duffy is above average
Bruno is average but not getting any younger.
Montoya is just about average
Bong is just about average
Knockaert is just about average but waning
March is just about average
Jahanbakhsh is just about average
Bissouma is just about average
Stephens is just about average
Gross is just about average
Kayal is just about average
Izzy is just about average
Locadia is below average
Murray is average
Andone looks just about average
Izzy is not Ryan Giggs, far from it, not even Danny Welbeck.
Knockaert is not Riyad Mahrez, far from it, not even Andros Townsend anymore.
Murray is not Harry Kane.

We shouldn't be expecting to win each game we play. For fans to suggest we should have
beaten Cardiff is on a par with fans of bigger teams suggesting they should easily beat little Brighton.
We have mainly just about average cut price players in the team but they are Brighton and Hove Albion players.
They are the players we can afford and they play for my team.
Take your blue and white tinted spectacles off for a moment and realise where we are, the standard of the players
in your team and sit back and enjoy the crazy roller coaster ride.
This is BHA, this is how we've done things for generations.

Refereeing performances are of no consequence. The Team dictate whether we win, draw, or lose over 90 minutes.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I thought we looked the better team first 20 minutes, then they got a lucky goal and then the red card swung the game in their favour. Add to that the 21 fouls given and the offside goal and it is understandable that people should feel let down by the officials, then not booking a player for taking off his shirt? I'm sorry how exactly can you "miss" that. We have every right to feel aggrieved as the officials effectively gifted Cardiff three points.

He told the ref he didn't take his shirt off. You must have been watching something else!!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

I am normally fairly tolerant of refereeing when others might be more condemning, but everything went against us. On the post-match comments on Sky, CH seemed to me to go the closest he's ever come to saying the referee's a w****r. His assessment was that we deserved to get something from the game, and we did in my view too! If Stephens hadn't been sent off (CH didn't think Stephens was a definite red card) Andone had not been cynically charged off the ball when he was just about clear through, if Izquierdo had looked up at one point, if the Cardiff Goalkeeper not managed to keep out Izzy's shot soon afterwards it could have been different.

I am not a one-eyed Brighton fan, we should have been able to take Cardiff apart, we were still unlucky not to get anything, but I am not panicking like some on here seem to be.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He told the ref he didn't take his shirt off. You must have been watching something else!!

He missed it because he was looking at Warnock and winking.....probably

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
He missed it because he was looking at Warnock and winking.....probably
Winking at Warnock has a certain ring to it. Is there another word beginning with W that we could include in that sentence

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It was 1.1 when Stephens RIGHTLY got sent off and we’d been shocking before that. We obviously got worse after.

I’m disappointed by Hughton’s post match interview, he needs to start addressing why we’re served this dross every week, not moaning at refs. You win some, you lose some with refs. Murray wins a lot of questionable free kicks and Bruno should give away a penalty every match so we really are not in a position to moan.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am normally fairly tolerant of refereeing when others might be more condemning, but everything went against us. On the post-match comments on Sky, CH seemed to me to go the closest he's ever come to saying the referee's a w****r. His assessment was that we deserved to get something from the game, and we did in my view too! If Stephens hadn't been sent off (CH didn't think Stephens was a definite red card) Andone had not been cynically charged off the ball when he was just about clear through, if Izquierdo had looked up at one point, if the Cardiff Goalkeeper not managed to keep out Izzy's shot soon afterwards it could have been different.

I am not a one-eyed Brighton fan, we should have been able to take Cardiff apart, we were still unlucky not to get anything, but I am not panicking like some on here seem to be.
If if if

A frankly rediculous post.

All that proves is not only were we shite, today, but that Cardiff were worse.

All this referee blaming and even worse the swivel eyed conspiracy theory nutjobs just comes from posters incapable of facing reality.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Completely agree with the OP. Defending today’s result is ridiculous - what about the other 30 inept away performances eh?! Pointless arguing with any fans who are still using the usual excuses because they’re obviously so biased and bigoted they could join the Trump administration.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just back.

The ref was a “homer” 100%. Haven’t seen a replay of the sending off, but it looked reckless so not surprised at the time. Offside goal missed as well and the “foul” count will make interesting reading.

We lost because of Stephens brain fart and a shit referee.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just back.

The ref was a “homer” 100%. Haven’t seen a replay of the sending off, but it looked reckless so not surprised at the time. Offside goal missed as well and the “foul” count will make interesting reading.

We lost because of Stephens brain fart and a shit referee.

and the fact the team was shit

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Because some people think you're not a proper fan if you give anything other than full-throated support for your team. So when an official, or group of officials put in as bad a performance as they did today, they will latch on to it as something to highlight, especially if it provides an alternative to criticising a poor performance by their team.

D

Deleted member 2719

Sadl Hughton won't change. Defend defend defend. Let the attackers of the leash CH it might surprise you

I totally agree if the attackers haven't already been brainwashed to defend for life.

He should have faith in his defenders and stop guarding them with an army of midfield, I really don't think he knows any other way.

I suppose it's down to the STH's if they are happy to watch that sort of football let them keep paying, I suppose it's for the mass market that is the premier league, but the balance point has been exceeded time and time again in defending IMO.

He is the most negative Albion manager I can remember.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here