Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I think he looked much better and as long as the opposition don't shoot on target, he should be absolutely fine.

Last edited:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
An extra year on Stockdale was a non brainer! Rather than risk it on a 5 ft keeper for around £5mil?

Sorry, it just makes non sense to me! No disrespect to Ryan, he has made some world class saves, but had far more faith in Stockdale overall.

Are you French? ???

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Less of the abuse, thanks. I already stated in a previous post I was just playing about him being 5ft. I also stated my point was not focused on Ryans ability, but how we let Stockdale go.

:ffsparr:

The last thing I remember about Stockdale was losing us the Championship on the last game of last season , no great loss

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Really important game for Maty. Okay he wasn't flying around tipping shots over the bar, but he was busy, commanded his area, dealt with and held a number of dangerous crosses, was quick off his line to deal with potential through balls and his distribution was pretty good. Stand him in good stead going into the next games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If Ryan were to keep his second clean sheet v West Brom, is it mandatory for every poster who leapt on him after Leicester to do a full U-turn?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Englands finest Fraser Forster on MOTD just then spilled a shot to Huddersfield in almost an exact replica of Maty from last week. That hotshot Huddersfield front line couldn't make the most of it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Got to look at the bigger picture.

Even if it was just over 1 year, the club caving in sets a bad president. Next up is Bruno, who wants a playing contract until he's 40, the club say no and it's a case of "Well you gave Stockdale X years when he asked for them." It's a slippery slope.

Trump is a bad president. The club could set a bad precedent.

Alfie87

Aug 20, 2010
Helps when the opposition don't have a shoot on target .

Stockdale had 5 shots at him and conceded 2 (6 and 3 if it wasn't offside) yesterday. There were many occasions last year when the opposistion had 0 or not many shots on target and he made enough mistakes then, if he was here now he'd be making a lot more.
I can't be too sure on Ryan yet but I like what I see apart from a couple of mistakes, hopefully all will be good

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did Watford have any shots on target?

Just watching MOTD again, and fellas first half shot from distance seemed to take a massive bounce.
If it was a post width to the right this thread would be twice the size.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Ryan's distribution looks to be better than Stockdale's. Actually looks for an outlet rather than regularly hoofing upfield. I think Ryan commands the area better too. Against Watford yesterday he came out for a cross that DS never would have-and caught the ball rather than punching it out. I think he'll be ok and just needs a bit of time to adjust to the English game-I hope!

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
Did Watford have any shots on target?

I seem to remember a shot being cleared off the line by either dunk or Ryan,it was up the far end to the keepers right....difficult to see exactly what happened,I also thought we had scored twice but the ball was travelling away from goal,and I was sober!!!!!

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Dunk spoke about how the defence is starting to build an understanding with the goalkeeper and that it takes time,also no one's mentioned Schmeikels howler and MOTD didn't highlight it but stressed how well he played.Always surprises me how people who go regularly to football seem to have so little understanding of the time taken to integrate new players into a team.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Dunk spoke about how the defence is starting to build an understanding with the goalkeeper and that it takes time,also no one's mentioned Schmeikels howler and MOTD didn't highlight it but stressed how well he played.Always surprises me how people who go regularly to football seem to have so little understanding of the time taken to integrate new players into a team.

That was awful from Schmeical, if Ryan had let one it like that the pitch forks would be sharpened, the torches lit and the masses would have gathered at his door.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Got to look at the bigger picture.

Even if it was just over 1 year, the club caving in sets a bad president. Next up is Bruno, who wants a playing contract until he's 40, the club say no and it's a case of "Well you gave Stockdale X years when he asked for them." It's a slippery slope.

So, would Molumby be within his rights to expect the same wages as Knockaert? "Well, you gave Knockaert £x a week when he asked for it". No, of course not. Players know they are all in different positions. Goalkeepers often have longer careers than outfield players. Bruno and his agent would be fully aware that signing a keeper until he is 35, is not the same as signing a rightback until he is 40.

Even if you can discard that, Lewis Dunk signed a 5 year contract, so why can't Bruno point to that when he negotiates?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Could be worse:-

[tweet]901817544679596033[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here