Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It'll be a disaster for this club if stockdale goes, we need to keep him more than any other player.

Why?
Good goalkeeper but will never be a top one. Prone to lapses of concentration. Other options out there. Not unhappy to see him go.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If Chelsea offer to triple his wages then good luck to him, professional football is a short career make the most of it.

Flip side, a real lack of ambition and waste of a talented keeper and goodbye any outside chances of an England call up.

Yeah....at 34-35 years of age, there is nothing else that footballers ( with a lot of money in the bank ) can do. Many people change careers and re-invent themselves more than once but apparently footballers are exempt from this, totally incapable of achieving anything else in life.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
No surprise, we can't offer anything near what Chelsea can and to be fair I would go to Chelsea and fight for a spot in their first team for enough money to retire on.
I would say thank you to Brighton for giving me the opportunity to show my worth and helping to get them promotion, make my goodbyes and leave.
Next step in a short career.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Yeah....at 34-35 years of age, there is nothing else that footballers ( with a lot of money in the bank ) can do. Many people change careers and re-invent themselves more than once but apparently footballers are exempt from this, totally incapable of achieving anything else in life.

They can usually afford not to have to.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Right, to start with I have to say that if DS stays then that is fine with me, he has been a model pro, thank you David.

For those saying it is vital that he stays? Pffffffff.......as good as he has undoubtedly been, he has 3 or 4 howlers per season in him as shown yesterday. A top quality keeper has one, for rarity value alone, if we need to recruit a new keeper so be it.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I'd like Stockdale to stay, good keeper and despite his error yesterday he made some good saves before that.

However I don't think I'm being arrogant to say if he genuinely wants to go and sit on Chelsea's bench for double the money then we can do better.

He won't be part of something he is here, an integral part of a group of players who seem to have an amazing togetherness and having a sense of achievement.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It'll be a disaster for this club if stockdale goes, we need to keep him more than any other player.

Dunk, Stephens, Knocky all far more integral. Stockdale has had a good season and has produced flashes of brilliance but he is also prone to errors. You see very few of those in the Premier League.

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
He has written himself in Albion history. He will be forever associated with that howler whether you like it or not. Best for him to start afresh somewhere else

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I'd like Stockdale to stay, good keeper and despite his error yesterday he made some good saves before that.

However I don't think I'm being arrogant to say if he genuinely wants to go and sit on Chelsea's bench for double the money then we can do better.

He won't be part of something he is here, an integral part of a group of players who seem to have an amazing togetherness and having a sense of achievement.

All the saves he made prior to his monumental howler count for nothing.
A goalie is paid to make saves, routine or spectacular. Its part of his job spec. Keepers who are prone to losses of concentration like Stockdale and El Habsi are remembered long after those that quietly go about their business eliminating as many errors from their game as they can.
We can do better. Stockdale's complete inability to even carry out the basic of getting his body behind the ball beggared belief and was something you would berate a park goalkeeper for. He will never eradicate these flaws from his game. He can't. Its part of his make-up, his personality. A good but flawed goalie. Some fans forget the spells he has gone through with us where he has made numerous mistakes. Even this season, the terrible ricket v Preston or the gift of a second goal to Forest, when we were trying to get back in the game are further examples of loss of concentration.
Fans overrate players too much. Stockdale is replaceable and we will find a keeper of equal ability and maybe of even more consistency.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
He has written himself in Albion history. He will be forever associated with that howler whether you like it or not. Best for him to start afresh somewhere else

Sadly, I agree.
Fans will always tarnish him with losing us the league title. Everything that went before will be forgotten. You are only as good as your last game in football.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
He didn't lose us the league FFS. There were 11 players on the pitch, to their 10 I might add.

Be a shame to see him go but that's life. People come and go.

EDIT - and my memory of him would be the double pen save. Or his reaction to the air show disaster. Or countless other crucial saves he made. But whatever #blamestockdale eh?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
He just tweeted:

Gutted to go out like that. Big thank you to all my teammates and staff. [MENTION=27715]Benjames[/MENTION]Roberts for everything. Thank you to all the fans [emoji1319][emoji1319]

So it definitely sounds like he's off.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Dunk, Stephens, Knocky all far more integral. Stockdale has had a good season and has produced flashes of brilliance but he is also prone to errors. You see very few of those in the Premier League.

But thats what you expect from any professional keeper....flashes of brilliance and a lot of routine and solid saves. We all forgive the very occasional howler. It happens. But 3-4 times in a good season is too much and exposes flaws in focus and concentration. Yesterday was one of the worst BHA keeper errors I have seen in 50+ years. It was appalling and ultimately very costly.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
I personally think Hughton will be pretty non plussed if he goes. Good keeper in this league, but his errors could really cost us in the Prem where wins are much more valuable.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
He didn't lose us the league FFS. There were 11 players on the pitch, to their 10 I might add.

Be a shame to see him go but that's life. People come and go.

EDIT - and my memory of him would be the double pen save. Or his reaction to the air show disaster. Or countless other crucial saves he made. But whatever #blamestockdale eh?

Sorry...but a footballer is only as good as his last game. Sure they were special moments but he himself would have given up all of those to have saved that shot yesterday and lift that trophy.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
But thats what you expect from any professional keeper....flashes of brilliance and a lot of routine and solid saves. We all forgive the very occasional howler. It happens. But 3-4 times in a good season is too much and exposes flaws in focus and concentration. Yesterday was one of the worst BHA keeper errors I have seen in 50+ years. It was appalling and ultimately very costly.

I can't argue with any of that. You are right, even in one of our best seasons in decades, with arguably the best defence in the league he has made 3/4 costly mistakes. He has also made some brilliant penalty saves which have won us points but that is the keepers job ultimately. I don't think he will ever be consistent enough to be a top level 1st choice GK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here