Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnsley vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Sour grapes or not, it's the uneducated twats who see a headline (round it up) and don't understand the whole picture that annoys me. In terms of money spent on players the last few seasons we're mid-table.

It would seem that Yarkshire folks are the least informed. Yarkshire born. Yarkshire bred. Strong in't arm. Thick in't 'ead.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think this is the best side we have. Maybe interchange the odd player, but this is by far the most confident affect first 11 we have.

When Murray and Baldock are firing on full cylinders they're incredible.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It would seem that Yarkshire folks are the least informed. Yarkshire born. Yarkshire bred. Strong in't arm. Thick in't 'ead.

I've had a chat with the lad on Twitter - he seems to have a head in his shoulders at least. I explained it's the Prem Sky £s & parachute money that makes football this way. Also that we have not sold players to offset loss like previous yrs but will have to if don't go up. I did say 'how can we compete with a team with a much bigger budget' may be a better way to word it. Also pointed out in our Withdean days in this div we could have said that about pretty much every club we played.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I've had a chat with the lad on Twitter - he seems to have a head in his shoulders at least. I explained it's the Prem Sky £s & parachute money that makes football this way. Also that we have not sold players to offset loss like previous yrs but will have to if don't go up. I did say 'how can we compete with a team with a much bigger budget' may be a better way to word it. Also pointed out in our Withdean days in this div we could have said that about pretty much every club we played.

I've seen your chat with him and he is effing clueless. As are his mates on their forum. They see published losses and can't see beyond that. The old 'new stadium, plastic fans' bullshit is on there too.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I've seen your chat with him and he is effing clueless. As are his mates on their forum. They see published losses and can't see beyond that. The old 'new stadium, plastic fans' bullshit is on there too.

What is even more clear is that they don't see a club rising out of the ashes of the goldstone, they don't see inspiration but just see us as a club who is (now) able to spend (a lot of) money. Shame really as with regard to the spend we are still not major league when compared to a lot of others who have been in the championship.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
what was the official figure for Brighton fans at the game today am sure there was more than 1300?

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
I never quite caught it when they announced it. obviously my lad never either as he said they announced 1998. !!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Shed load of positives from today, players looked more in control, more determined and more importantly were a unit all working hard for each other.

Hopefully we move on with this type of work ethic

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
To be fair to Barnsley, it's tough to take when you have to sell some of your best players as they've just done with Hourihane, Winnall and Bree to make ends meet.

Of course there are many teams spending money they don't have, which we're not - thanks to TB - but it's not a level playing field for them is it?

Back on the game itself and our second goal - wasn't Knockeart trying to shoot rather than square it to Baldock? Might have got a touch lucky there?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To be fair to Barnsley, it's tough to take when you have to sell some of your best players as they've just done with Hourihane, Winnall and Bree to make ends meet.

Of course there are many teams spending money they don't have, which we're not - thanks to TB - but it's not a level playing field for them is it?

Back on the game itself and our second goal - wasn't Knockeart trying to shoot rather than square it to Baldock? Might have got a touch lucky there?

No, Knockaert passed it into the box, Baldock shot.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think people see 'losses of £30m' and assume we're running like Pompey or QPR aka buying a shit load of mercenaries on obscene wages when we're actually buying cheap (ish) and getting established players on long contracts. Then Bloom is also pumping cash into the training ground etc, which I think counts as football cost, to secure a future.

We're doing it the right way, championed by a Brighton bred chairman. Admittedly to clubs not quite so fortunate I could see how it'd seem like we're buying our way up the leagues but really all anyone would have to do is look past the headlines and possibly read about just how close we've come to oblivion.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No......it was obvious that Knocky played a cannon off Baldock to get it round the keeper! The man's a genius!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here